Forums
Posted By: Waddi Getting the best picture - 17th Jul 2010 11:47pm
Basic setup
Sky+ set on RGB, scart into 32" Matsui LCD TV
Xbox 360 hdmi into same TV.

In an attempt to improve my picture quality before I decide to shell out for SKYHD I had a play around with the brightness, Contrast, Sharpness etc and realised I didnt really know what I was doing.

How exactly do I go about setting these to acheive best quality, on a DVD once I had a THX (I think) configurator, that took me through step by step each adjustment, i.e lower the brightness right down, then slowly bring it up untill a logo appears, then onto contrast etc.

I also have options to turn LTI and DCI on or off, what are these and what do they do?

Thanks everyone!
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Getting the best picture - 17th Jul 2010 11:56pm
Dynamic colour improvement luminance transient improvement. Just fiddle to get picture how u like it lol.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Getting the best picture - 18th Jul 2010 12:01am
I have sky hd and u cant really set up ya pic until u get it unless u have blu ray dvds? Is ya telly 1080 hd or the lesser 720?

Attached picture 2642744431_a1bca271cd.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Getting the best picture - 18th Jul 2010 12:11am
DCI is "Dynamic Colour Improvement" which tries to adjust your picture to optimum automatically - sometimes it works well sometimes it doesn't

LCI is "Luminance Transient Improvement" which basically tries to improve the sharpness of pictures especially where there are sudden differences in brightness eg a black and white stripe.

Basically set up everything with these set to off then try them to see if you like the difference they make.

All old televisions (even valve ones) had a form of LCI built in because the bandwidth of TV signals was limited, it is comparable to turning up the treble on a medium-wave radio station to make it sound less muffled.

Viewing is very subjective, most people have contrast and especially colour set a lot higher than optimum reality values. You tend to accept what you regularly see as the norm as the brain adapts.

I have found DCI useful on films that have been made particularly dark (eg many modern horrer movies).
Posted By: Waddi Re: Getting the best picture - 18th Jul 2010 8:51am
Thanks everyone.

Found a online guide which basically said;
  • Turn off all picture enhancers (LTI, DCI etc)
  • Turn Saturation/colour down till picture is black and white.
  • Turn Brightness down and then bring it back up untill you loose quality in white areas and turn it back down a bit.
  • Turn Contrast up, then bring it back down till you loose quality in black areas and turn it back up a bit.
  • Turn Saturation/colour back up to suit.

Stephen, its 1080i, but seems to look better in 720p when running HD through xbox 360.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral