Forums
Posted By: Nigel Microsoft office 2010 - 2nd Jul 2010 10:21pm
Anyone had any experence with the new version of Microsoft Office 2010? How do you find it?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Microsoft office 2010 - 2nd Jul 2010 10:27pm
Still using 2003 here, does everything I need it to and want it to, so no interest in changing. Plus it has Frontpage, which ceased in Office 2007 onwards as they dropped support for everything but Microsoft web servers.

Any new formats, such as .xlsx from 2007 etc, can be viewed and edited etc perfectly normal, using Microsoft's format compatibility tools.

I guess the upgrade simply depends on whether you need any of the new (beneath the surface) upgrades and features? If your workplace was using it for instance, id probably go for it.

smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Microsoft office 2010 - 2nd Jul 2010 10:41pm
withthat

My opinion, it`s just a way of making more money from office, it`s the same ,just a bit fancier!

Oasis are at it with thier `new` album, they split up last year and a new album has come out `the best of` (i think), like i said, just another £££ making scam!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Microsoft office 2010 - 2nd Jul 2010 10:46pm
2003 person myself as well smile
Posted By: Wheels Re: Microsoft office 2010 - 2nd Jul 2010 11:15pm
frown I use OpenOffice
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Microsoft office 2010 - 3rd Jul 2010 12:28am
Each "new" version is just a money spinner. Stick with older ersions of Office.
Posted By: peodude Re: Microsoft office 2010 - 3rd Jul 2010 10:32am
2003 to 2007 is a big upgrade, with a hugely improved user interface, but 2007 to 2010 is just a few tweaks.

Microsoft FrontPage has been replaced by Microsoft Expression Web and Sharepoint Designer, which are both free downloads from the Microsoft site.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Microsoft office 2010 - 3rd Jul 2010 10:52am
Originally Posted by peodude
Microsoft FrontPage has been replaced by Microsoft Expression Web and Sharepoint Designer, which are both free downloads from the Microsoft site.

Sharepoint does not support anything other than Microsoft Windows Server web servers - which 99% of non-corporate web hosts run and which 99% of customers have no interest in.

Expression is not WYSIWYG, and thus cannot be compared to Frontpage. In addition, Frontpage support Linux web servers without issue, Microsoft only moved away from support for Linux in an attempt to remove the competition - did they really think that Frontpage was the reason we in the industry, all use Linux? Muppets!

As for UI improvements in 2007 - that is purely a matter of opinon. For those of us who have been using the same basic interface for over a decade, changing over to 2007 actually makes some simple tasks much harder to do - Microsoft try their very best to implement changes and tweaks on the UI, simply for the sake of making software look different and new, and it is NOT always for the better (look at the programs list in Vista vs XP/2000/98 for instance).
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Microsoft office 2010 - 3rd Jul 2010 11:03am
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/377288/Office_2007.html#Post377288

It seems people don't like the "hugely improved" 2007 UI. Ever get the feeling Microsoft are struggling to do anything right nowadays? A victim of their own success perhaps? wonder their shareprice is falling like a rain drop!

smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral