Forums
Posted By: camaroz Yikes! Blew my ears off .. - 15th Apr 2010 8:55am
Hi folks, hope a wiki DJ will chime in and help me on this one.
OK, I have bought a XENYX 1202FX mixer, mics, cables etc for a project.. Nothing to do with music or DJing. Unfortunately the rather thick manual that came with it wasn't in english. I've just finished building a PC for it to connect to, but I am at a loss at which mixer connections to connect to the PC sound input/output (it doesnt seem to have just an audio in & our socket - its got control room and other stuff like that). What I would like to do is have all the devices connected to the mixer going out to the PC for use in a broadcasting programe, and then once mixed with vision etc on the PC back into the mixer for output to the connected headphones (hope that makes sense). if I've explained it wrong or you need more info let me know. I tried to connect it once and got massive feedback or something, my ears are still ringing. It's the first time I've ever even looked at one of these things. Thanks in advance..

Attached picture XENYX 1202FX.jpg
Posted By: MrBrightside Re: Yikes! Blew my ears off .. - 15th Apr 2010 9:27am
Hi buddy,

I trained as a sound engineer so i think i can help you out. I think i know the casue of your feedback. Give us a shout.
Posted By: MrBrightside Re: Yikes! Blew my ears off .. - 15th Apr 2010 9:29am
Can you sort out a little picture using windows paint just to indicated what you what to do. Ill post a pic in a min or 2 to show you what i mean wink
Posted By: MrBrightside Re: Yikes! Blew my ears off .. - 15th Apr 2010 9:43am
mixer

Attached picture Mixer.JPG
Posted By: MrBrightside Re: Yikes! Blew my ears off .. - 15th Apr 2010 9:55am
http://www.behringer.com/EN/downloads/pdf/1202FX_P0571_S_EN.pdf

english emmanual!
Posted By: camaroz Re: Yikes! Blew my ears off .. - 15th Apr 2010 10:27am
Cheers mate,
OK I have attached the pic with the setup I'm using. I'm sure that I have just connected things wrong. The minidisc really doesn't need output from the mixer, I just connected it because it had a cd out connection. I'll try and get a photo of all the inputs and output on the mixer when I get home tonite. Thanks for having a look buddy. If you need any more info let me know happy

Attached picture mixer a.jpg
Posted By: camaroz Re: Yikes! Blew my ears off .. - 15th Apr 2010 10:29am
Originally Posted by JohnLeatherFix

Nice one buddy.. eek! I'll have to RTFM tonite..
Posted By: MrBrightside Re: Yikes! Blew my ears off .. - 15th Apr 2010 11:09am
no worries mate if you could get some photos that would be great also i have lots and lots and lots of audio cables from the band days so if u need any till you get some. Just think of the set up as pipes of water, running thru pipes. When you hear the term "bus" in audio talk its really simple. Imagine a real bus, it takes people from one place to another and that is exactly what it does . but in this case the people on the bus are audio signals. so you can have channel 1 - 4 on the bus or just channel 1 .
Posted By: camaroz Re: Yikes! Blew my ears off .. - 16th Apr 2010 8:42am
no worries mate if you could get some photos that would be great also i have lots and lots and lots of audio cables from the band days so if u need any till you get some. Just think of the set up as pipes of water, running thru pipes. When you hear the term "bus" in audio talk its really simple. Imagine a real bus, it takes people from one place to another and that is exactly what it does . but in this case the people on the bus are audio signals. so you can have channel 1 - 4 on the bus or just channel 1 .

SUCCESS!
Cheers for all the info buddy.
All working great, PHEW! smack
Couple of things tho' if you can advise me.
The mic's needed phantom power (luckily the mixer had a switch for this) and balanced cables (again luckily I bought these) is this something I should look out for with other devices I may want to add?
Posted By: MrBrightside Re: Yikes! Blew my ears off .. - 17th Apr 2010 10:58am
Well its all to do with context. Phantom power is genrally used for condenser mics and di boxs, its powers a plate inside the mic wich is conected to the diaphram to pick up delicate waves that a non powered micwould stugle to pick up. Balanced cables are only really need for long cable stretch's, basicly inside the cable there are 3 pins X L and R. Inside a balanced cable the wave gets flipped so if you were to obtain a spike in audio the spike is fllpped to face down and cancells the spike out. Hope this helps man!
Posted By: camaroz Re: Yikes! Blew my ears off .. - 17th Apr 2010 12:33pm
Well its all to do with context. Phantom power is genrally used for condenser mics and di boxs, its powers a plate inside the mic wich is conected to the diaphram to pick up delicate waves that a non powered micwould stugle to pick up. Balanced cables are only really need for long cable stretch's, basicly inside the cable there are 3 pins X L and R. Inside a balanced cable the wave gets flipped so if you were to obtain a spike in audio the spike is fllpped to face down and cancells the spike out. Hope this helps man!

errr! errr!
I'll just stick with computers.
Thanks for helping out tho' buddy happy
Posted By: MrBrightside Re: Yikes! Blew my ears off .. - 20th Apr 2010 10:32am
Haha no worrys mate any time
© Wirral-Wikiwirral