Forums
Posted By: Wheels laptop died? - 6th Apr 2010 9:35pm
ok I was just on my laptop and without warning it just turned off?

It was operating normally and I was only on facebook then nuffin. I checked the power cables and power pack and all is fine, but I have noticed the normal power in light is not illuminated.

The battery was charging as I was on it. Any ideas?

I'm gutted as I have only just replaced the screen on it and my Iphone was thrown down the toilet by the baby today frown bad times.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: laptop died? - 6th Apr 2010 9:43pm
Try running it without the battery pack in.

If that doesn't work, remove everything that is supposed to be removable, HDD, CD/DVD etc and see if you get any glimmer.

Try leaving the battery pack out for at least 15 mins and no power to the laptop and try again (battery pack in first) - this sounds silly, and I have never found out any possible reason why, but it has worked a few times in the past. This tends to work with HP/Compaq especially.
Posted By: Wheels Re: laptop died? - 6th Apr 2010 11:43pm
Tanks i will try now
Posted By: Wheels Re: laptop died? - 6th Apr 2010 11:54pm
ok that makes no sense, i took the battery off and plugged in the power cable, hurrar! power light come on, im on it now and its workin fine.

can I put the battery back in? when its off obv tease
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: laptop died? - 6th Apr 2010 11:57pm
Yes, put it in and see what happens, it is highly unlikely to damage anything, will probably start working again.
Posted By: Wheels Re: laptop died? - 7th Apr 2010 12:13am
all done, battery was on 0% ? I was given no warning that the battery was low (it was plugged in)

[Linked Image]

seams to be charging ok now.

its a complete mystery.

Thanks for the suggestion DD. I might of just binned it lol.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: laptop died? - 7th Apr 2010 12:55am
Glad about that - finicky things.

Because of all the protection a Lithium cell needs during charge and discharge, they do get a bit confused sometimes.

You have to be careful with lithium packs, they blow an internal fuse if over-discharged (this is one of the mechanisms to stop lithium exploding or going on fire).

I had to wait for my pack to self-discharge when it decided to lock itself out, unfortunately, Lithium self-discharge rate is very slow, took about 3 months (luckily it wasn't fully charged at the time). Been working for 5 months since absolutely fine.

Classic things that upset the internal logic, is a dodgy connection at mains connector or low voltage connector to laptop, rapid on-off switching tends to confuse them.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral