Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Help LEC ELan Fridge/Freezer - 26th Mar 2010 10:13pm
Not quite the right forum but it will do.

I have a LEC Elan fridge freezer. It has the usual dial marked 1 to 6 and it also has a switch.

When I first got it I assumed the switch is a fast-freeze, however it would seem that on Elan models you just set the dial to 6 to fast freeze. Some documentations say the switch is for economy mode.

If I have the switch set to on, the tube in the fridge ices up very badly, if I have it set to off it doesn't.

I put a power meter on it, when the switch in on (eco-mode?) it draws a constant 14W, when the compressor switches on it draws an additional 70W.

When the switch is off, it draws no power except the 70W when the compressor comes on.

From my meter, it costs less to run when the switch is off, and with the icing up behaviour it looks like a fast-freeze switch not an eco-switch.

Has anyone any specific information relating to LEC Elan Fridge-Freezer?
Posted By: TheDr Re: Help LEC ELan Fridge/Freezer - 26th Mar 2010 11:34pm
Okay I'll do what I can to help.

You're right in that 6 is the Fast Freeze setting, you use this after defrosting or after putting fresh food in to get it frozen quickly, it DOES NOT self cancel, so will continue to create ice if you don't turn it back down again (anywhere between 3 & 5 is good)

The Eco switch is a bit of a confusing name, what it does is to run a small fan (they call it a turbo fan) which circulates the cold air in the fridge, when you turn it off, it saves electricity, but doesn't circulate the air in the fridge, it's meant to be used when the fridge is full to keep everything even, if you don't keep much in your fridge, then it wont matter a great deal.

The 14W that you have drawing are the fan, the 70W is the compressor.

If yours is freezing up there are four things to check before thinking that the coolant level has fallen (and it's on it's way out), first of all, and easiest, check that the unit isn't right up against the wall, secondly that the filters are clean and clear. third that the door seals are clean and clear, lastly that the thermostat isn't a bit dodgy (can happen).

You'd be amazed at what we think we know :-)
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Help LEC ELan Fridge/Freezer - 27th Mar 2010 1:04am
Thanks Dr, never thought about a circulation fan, with it switched off everything is fine and it uses less eleccy so that is the way it will stay.

To give an idea how much MORE the eco mode is costing.

Last night, 11 hours, fridge opened once in un-heated kitchen - cost 5p in eco mode

Today, 11 hours, fridge opened about 8 times, freezer opened 3 times in un-heated kitchen 3p not in eco-mode.

Even though the kitchen has been warmer during the day and the fridge and freezer has been opened a lot of times more, it is 40% cheaper when eco mode switched off.

Or conversely it costed 60% more in eco-mode.

Don't know why it iced up, everything is fine, with eco-off the compressor is on for shorter intervals and more frequently. With eco-on the compressor was on for much longer periods but only a few times a day.

As an aside, many of these single-compressor fridge freezers are not rated for less than 12 degrees (C) temperatures. The fridge doesn't "warm" up to operate the compressor to keep the freezer frozen. A neat solution is to bodge the internal fridge light on during cold weather, this means the fridge has to operate more which in turn keeps the freezer frozen.

I used to think it was a coolant problem - but it turns out it is just that the fridge temp is regulated and it is just crossed-fingers that the freezer stays cold enough - in a cold environment it needs a helping hand.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral