Forums
Posted By: Victor_Meldrew Caller ID om my house phone - 9th Mar 2010 6:53pm
I have a phone which should tell me who is calling but it doesn't. Do i need to pay for it from BT?

If it does need to be paid for then why dont we on our mobile phones?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Caller ID om my house phone - 9th Mar 2010 7:00pm
You can pay for it, but if you sign up for the Privacy Package with BT, then Caller ID comes free provided you make a minimum amount of phone calls a month (which isn't a lot).
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Caller ID om my house phone - 9th Mar 2010 7:00pm
Yes, £1.75 per month iirc. You don't pay for it on mobile phones, because the operators choose not to charge you for it. Actually, I think its more to do with it being a part of the digital GSM (2G) specification whereas CD on landlines was always an optional technology.

There are some providers (Sky Talk for instance) who provide CD at no extra cost.

Quite why anyone is still with BT though, is beyond me, shite pricing, shite services, shite support, a company with zero morals, and nobody honestly has any reason to stay with them.

They are such ..., they added it to my account randomly one bill without even asking me (amongst other things they were incorrectly billing me for). Then I had murder (and a lot of wasted time) trying to get them to remove it, 30 minutes on the phone to be told by an Indian that he could not understand what I was saying, takes the pi$$). I only use my landline for DSL and 08 calls, so why the hell would I need CD the morons. When you have a mobile with unlimited calls, web and texts, and your not at home very often, you don't tend to need to use a shitty overpriced landline.

Never had any such trouble with Madasafish or Sky Talk, and the former are considerably cheaper than most other providers, including BT (though the owners of Madasafish are a subsidury of the BT Group, it seems, fortunately, that is where the similarities with BT Retail end).
Posted By: Victor_Meldrew Re: Caller ID om my house phone - 9th Mar 2010 7:08pm
We are on free evening and weekend calls at the moment.
I cant see when a phone has caller id on it why we have to pay BT for it when its free on mobiles.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Caller ID om my house phone - 9th Mar 2010 7:09pm
Because BT in general are ..., and those that run it, would take their grandparents every last penny if it meant boosting their shareprice.

They can do pretty much what they like, because they still have an unfair monopoly so they can get away with it. Its gradually being broken up, but it should have been smashed to bits many years ago. Guaranteed that some BT Group shareholder is donating lots and lots of money to the Labour Party.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Caller ID om my house phone - 9th Mar 2010 7:31pm
Originally Posted by Victor_Meldrew
We are on free evening and weekend calls at the moment.
I cant see when a phone has caller id on it why we have to pay BT for it when its free on mobiles.
I suppose BT can't see why you shouldn't pay mobile rates on your landline either smile
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Caller ID om my house phone - 9th Mar 2010 7:56pm
When I was with BT I got caller ID simply so I knew when my mother-in-law was on the phone and I could give the handset to my other half to answer grin
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Caller ID om my house phone - 9th Mar 2010 8:08pm
Do I detect Matt, that you are not a great fan of BT then ??

(Ducks behind sofa)

It was OK when it was the PO. Even better when it was the GPO.

Things were a bit simpler then (?) Since privatisation, things have gone done the pan big time. Gotta keep them shareholders happy. Service to the customers.... ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.pewk !
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Caller ID om my house phone - 9th Mar 2010 8:32pm
Originally Posted by bobi1
When I was with BT I got caller ID simply so I knew when my mother-in-law was on the phone and I could give the handset to my other half to answer grin
pmsl laugh
pmsl laugh
pmsl laugh
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Caller ID om my house phone - 9th Mar 2010 9:06pm
In answer to Matt - the advantage of being with BT is that you can use other call director companies and Carrier Preselect Services (CPS).

When I was with BT, I paid them minimal line rental, got all landline calls free 24/7 (thankyou Primus) and mobile calls at the cheapest rate available (thankyou 18185), using a dialer (thankyou Orchid).
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Caller ID om my house phone - 9th Mar 2010 9:17pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
pmsl laugh

Flippin' 'eck Rude - duplicate was bad enough but triplicate.......... raftl
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Caller ID om my house phone - 9th Mar 2010 9:46pm
Whoah dunno y that happened? frown
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Caller ID om my house phone - 9th Mar 2010 11:12pm
Wow that makes me feel almost popular on here, lol.
Posted By: bri445 Re: Caller ID om my house phone - 12th Mar 2010 7:36pm
My Panasonic TG8022 cordless shows the caller by name, providing the number is in the memory.
I went for talktalk Essentials for bband 6.9megs (LLU) and free phonecalls, except national daytime and international.
£17.74 pm including the landline. Suits my simple requirements!

'f2s' bband was crap service and, with BT landline, was £26 pm. BT kept ringing to get me back and couldn't understand why I left them! They've finally got the message as I've had no more hassle from them.
Bri
Posted By: Nigel Re: Caller ID om my house phone - 27th Mar 2010 10:55pm
Virginmeda are rolling out caller display network wide in 2010
Wirral switch WL1 is already enabled, so you may be able to get caller ID activated on your line like I have done. Phone 150.
Posted By: Nigel Re: Caller ID om my house phone - 2nd Nov 2010 10:16am
Virginmedia now provide caller display as a free service (so I am told) on your Virginmedia landline and is a available here on the Wirral. Phone 150 from your Virgin landline to get it enabled.
Posted By: Waddi Re: Caller ID om my house phone - 3rd Nov 2010 6:43am
When I was on the Virgin media website yesterday trying to see if I could get the same package Im on now with Sky cheaper from Virgin, Caller Display was £2 per month.

and by the way, Sky was cheaper in the end and I get more channels, granted Virgins 10meg broadband is 10meg and on Sky I only get 6meg on an upto 20meg package but its unlimited downloads with no fair usage policy or traffic shaping.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Caller ID om my house phone - 5th Nov 2010 1:57am
I'm on Virgin 50mb and I get a constant 48mb from it, I get my telly through Sky because you get more channels and far more HD channels. If price is your main concern get a package from 1 provider but if you want quality then you have to mix and match, it's personal preference.
As per the start point of this topic, I had caller ID in my old house in Tranmere but when I moved to Bebington I was told it wasn't available here. I will be made up if it is being rolled out across the whole system soon, I miss it.
Posted By: Nigel Re: Caller ID om my house phone - 5th Nov 2010 8:49am
Originally Posted by CrocodileDundee
I'm on Virgin 50mb and I get a constant 48mb from it, I get my telly through Sky because you get more channels and far more HD channels. If price is your main concern get a package from 1 provider but if you want quality then you have to mix and match, it's personal preference.
As per the start point of this topic, I had caller ID in my old house in Tranmere but when I moved to Bebington I was told it wasn't available here. I will be made up if it is being rolled out across the whole system soon, I miss it.

Hi Croc,

If your landline is supplied by Virginmedia over cable then YES you can have "Caller ID" added as an option. Phone 150 from your Virgin landline. grin
© Wirral-Wikiwirral