Forums
Posted By: Snodvan Safe Mode query - 8th Jan 2010 7:09pm
On startup Dad's computer (400MHz bookshelf type running Win 98) has suddenly decided to go into the Safe Mode selection menu rather than to load Windows, saying that Windows met a problem last time it tried to load

From the selection you can of course select NOT to go into Safe Mode and to try to load Windows. That does indeed simply cause Win98 load procedure to "hang" after about 10 seconds

If you allow the machine to load Safe Mode that works OK - BUT, what do I do next??????

I have tried disconnecting all the peripherals ie printer, cable internet etc just in case it was a driver for one of those.

I have no idea what the problem is or how to fix it. Everything worked fine up until a couple of days ago.

I do have the original Win 98 disk but loading that will wipe out all the personal files.

What I was HOPING for was to find some sort of "repair" facility, similar to that found on the Office applications.

Help will be appreciated

Snod
Posted By: scoops Re: Safe Mode query - 8th Jan 2010 7:44pm
I had a laptop that did the same thing. Eventually it stopped booting altogether. I think it's the first sign of the drive dying. I'd back up all the personal files asap before it dies completely.
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Safe Mode query - 8th Jan 2010 8:13pm
now that you have it in safe mode. run some disc checks (scandisk and antivirus)

unplug everything that is considered new

once they are complete, try a restart into normal windows
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Safe Mode query - 8th Jan 2010 8:16pm
Scoops

If I opt to load Safe Mode step-by-step (one of the Safe Mode menu options) it hangs when trying to load file

ptvcd.vmx

There is a LOAD of interwebby stuff about folk having problems exactly like that I describe and with "that" file identified as a suspect. HOWEVER - there are also a LOAD of suggestions as to what to DO next, and most of the suggestions I do not understand.

It seems that this file ptvcd.vmx is associated with a MODEM - but dad has been using the same NTL Modem for yonks. NOTHING has changed on his machine or things attached to it.

Snod
© Wirral-Wikiwirral