Forums
Posted By: chris_gilly internet question! - 11th Dec 2009 2:41pm
is it possible to get Broadband without a phone line? i have a old phoneline fitted in our house but its not used, i want to avoid having a house phone really!
a freind of mine seemed to think you could?!
Posted By: AX_125 Re: internet question! - 11th Dec 2009 2:51pm
You could try and use you neighbours wireless if it is unlocked or you could buy a mobile dongle.

You could always buy a landline and not connect a phone to it?
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: internet question! - 11th Dec 2009 3:03pm
im using mobile broadband now smile
nope no unlocked wireless laugh
Posted By: polo_phil Re: internet question! - 11th Dec 2009 4:19pm
I'm with virgin because I didn't want a phone line
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: internet question! - 11th Dec 2009 5:07pm
if i remember right, the only way to do this legally is via Virgin Media or a Mobile Dongle
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: internet question! - 11th Dec 2009 5:48pm
Use ya mobe as a modem.
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: internet question! - 11th Dec 2009 5:56pm
how much do you pay phil?
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: internet question! - 11th Dec 2009 6:00pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Use ya mobe as a modem.

ive got mobile internet, which i use all the time, i got that as i need it for when im out owrking but its rubbish for downloading.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: internet question! - 12th Dec 2009 4:23am
Virgin Media... also, AOL did tap into the NTL Telewest infastructure for a few years, not sure if they still do though?

Madasafish line-rental and o2 Broadband is only costing me like approx £16 a month so it aint exactly breaking the bank lol.

Virgin's basic package is £15 per month, if you want it without a phoneline, so not much difference in all honesty. The difference between Virgin and o2, is obviously customer services, but more importantly, o2's definition of "unlimited" is actually basically unlimited, and Virgin's is quite different from what you would call unlimited. Not to mention hurrendous traffic shaping, no net neutrality, service throttling and serious backbone capacity problems at peak times.

There is of course satellite broadband, but for a service without a phoneline to upload, your talking mega-bucks and the lag is awful on it lol.

smile
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: internet question! - 13th Dec 2009 8:15pm
cheers matt
im gunna have a nose into both them options now smile
Posted By: Snodvan Re: internet question! - 13th Dec 2009 9:13pm
Matt

Hear what you say

"Virgin's is quite different from what you would call unlimited. Not to mention hurrendous traffic shaping, no net neutrality, service throttling and serious backbone capacity problems at peak times."

but do not understand a word of it. I have used NTL/ Virgin for 10 years and have no problem at all with their service (I was 20 meg but have dropped back to 10 because I am not any sort of power user) - only with their billing service which is c**p and sometimes unintelligible. However, I try to contact them as little as possible

Snod
Posted By: polo_phil Re: internet question! - 14th Dec 2009 9:22am
Sorry Chris...

I pay £25 a month for L broadband and XL tv

I've never had a problem with Virgin and the speed is more than enough for home use! smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral