Forums
Posted By: Northender Freeview Problems 4th November - 4th Nov 2009 11:47pm
Hello

Since rescanning my Freeview box, I am now getting Welsh channels amongst my normal Winter Hill channels.

This is probably coming from Meol-Y-Parc which is in the other direction.

Is anybody else having this problem?
Posted By: Brocks Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 5th Nov 2009 12:12am
Yeah and the welsh channels have pushed the north west channels down to the 800s
Posted By: davaw1 Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 5th Nov 2009 1:06am
i cant get sky3, sky sports news or sky news, its a joke !
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 5th Nov 2009 1:09am
Originally Posted by davaw1
its a joke !

That be Freeview then laugh
Posted By: purfek Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 5th Nov 2009 1:21am
seems fine on my freeview tele, there getting ready for the high definition channels. I put my name down to test some of Paces new high definition set top boxes but wasnt sucessfull *sighs*
katrina
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 5th Nov 2009 2:17am
no problems here either

try retuning it again
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 5th Nov 2009 3:05am
I too have lost BBC Two and BBC Three, both of which have been replaced by non-Granada region varients. I know this because im running the TUTV 14-day EPG at present, and it cannot link the channels to EPG listings downloaded this morning, before I rescanned. BBC Four has also been replaced by a non-Granada varient, however the Granada varient has been pushed down to 801.

I was forced to rescan thanks to no-signal messages appearing on BBC Two, BBC Three and BBC Four.

As to why Freeview can't just "fook" off and stop arsing about, im not sure. They have a national retune, and then decide to fook everyones services up again a few weeks later. Then in a months time, when they completely shut-down the analog signal, I guess the same types of problems will occur.

No wonder older people simply cannot be arsed with it, Freeview could not organise a piss-up in a brewery. The services are/were working fine as they were, they did not need chaging. They keep saying they are preparing for Freeview HD - why I don't know!! Freeview should not have HD, it does not need it, there is Freesat HD, Virgin Media HD and SkyHD, not mention BT Vision showing some IP content in HD.

HD on Freeview is not only causing widespread problems in the preperations for it, but it is going to be shitty service anyway, and ultimately a waste of much-needed bandwidth and public money. A couple of HD channels is all they will be able to provide, even with DVBT2, whilst Freeview arse about trying to justify a service that will have little/no benefit to the general populous, other broadcasters are being told there is no further SD bandwidth going to be made available, instead the excess will be reserved for future technologies.

Thomson are prepping an HD box for TopUp TV, and we expect we will be testing it in the new year, but tbh, were not actually expecting it to be available anytime soon, because it's going to be expensive, and the service is going to be so limited it will be unbelievable. The only advantage it is likely to have is a 500GB/1TB hard drive as standard, so more space for push-od programmes, not that Freeview are going to allow capacity for it. Hoepfully with 3 tuners and mux recording though, we can get rid of Home and probably G.O.L.D and push more sutff during the daytime.

As it is, Freeview is in a mess, and it is for that reason that Freesat is probably the best solution for anyone wanting a TV service without ties or contracts now.
Posted By: Rickie_Robbo Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 5th Nov 2009 10:39am
i had these problems last night just retune your box an all is normal again smile
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 5th Nov 2009 10:43am
I go "No Signal" on some channels last night - quick retune, and all is well again smile
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 5th Nov 2009 10:55am
i cant recieve any bbc channels LOL
Posted By: Rickie_Robbo Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 5th Nov 2009 11:03am
retune ur box soundlad. it sorts it straight away.
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 5th Nov 2009 11:26am
have done 3 times haha laugh still nothing
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 5th Nov 2009 11:35am
I still have babestation thank the lord smile
Posted By: 24424m Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 6th Nov 2009 9:22pm
The problem my mum's having with her freeview box is after it being on standby, when she switches it on again, it has lost BBC1, BBC2, BBC3 & the BBC News Channel. She can get them back by re-tuning and adding channels, only to lose them again when she switches the box off.

I phoned the digital helpline, & they advised that she would have to speak to the box manufacturer as it was nothing to do with them. They further explained that some older freeview boxes, even though they were working fine before, are encountering problems post-switchover because "the signal is now too strong and the old box is unable to handle it"

In essence, what they are saying is that the box was perfectly capable of receiving all the freeview channels before they started messing about, and now they have changed things and it is no longer working adequately, they are blaming the box manufacturers - unbelievable!!!

My mum only wants to watch Eastenders - not really that much to ask for an old lady is it?

Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 6th Nov 2009 10:02pm
Originally Posted by SoundLad
i cant recieve any bbc channels LOL

Im the opposite. All I can receive on both my tvs are all the BBC stations and nothing else. They all show up on the epg but only the BBC channels and their Welsh variations work.

I have tried retuning many times and with my 3 different ariels but its still the same.
I think I have the new BBC multiplex transmitted from the relay transmitter on top of Caldy hill clashing with the Welsh Moel Y Parc transmitter that I also have a clear line of site to. think frown
Posted By: Bandageman Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 6th Nov 2009 11:21pm
Quite a few our getting their BBC channels and channel 4 moved to a higher number. This can be correct by after retuning on freeview, go to channel guide list high light the channel you want and relocate the channel number you want it to be
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 6th Nov 2009 11:29pm
Originally Posted by Bandageman
Quite a few our getting their BBC channels and channel 4 moved to a higher number. This can be correct by after retuning on freeview, go to channel guide list high light the channel you want and relocate the channel number you want it to be

As Freeview is not a standard, simply a service, this is highly box-dependent, and this function believe it or not, has significant patents attatched to it (thanks to News Corp aka BSKYB).

We have had murder developing a workaround for TopUp TV that does not infringe on patents owned by Sky (as with many other functions), as they forced us to remove a similar function earlier on this year because they see our service as a competitor.

frown
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 6th Nov 2009 11:32pm
Originally Posted by 24424m
My mum only wants to watch Eastenders - not really that much to ask for an old lady is it?

Exactly; none of this shit before Digital and/or the DSO.

Freeview is a mess, and is run by a bunch of incompetent morons, who could not organise a piss-up in a brewery. It goes back to the old saying, if its not broke, don't fix it. Everything worked just fine before they started messing around with it last month.

Freeview+ is a failiure thanks to their continuing piss-poor implementation of AR causing no end of problems to end users, and you are guaranteed that Freeview HD will be a big mess when it launches... even now they are not 100% sure on what specification and technologies they will be using to implement the service!!
Posted By: purfek Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 7th Nov 2009 1:12am
Freeview HD are in final test stages, I put my name down with Pace over in Yorkshire to trial their new freeview HD boxes
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 7th Nov 2009 2:31am
Final test stages maybe, but they have taken far too long to decide what spec they want to use. Things like this should have been decided a very long time ago.

As with everything Freeview do, it is going to be a rushed, not thought through, bodge job, and ultimately, the user will end up having a shoddy experience with it.

I don't know why they are seemingly trying to compete with Freesat; the way it should be is Freeview for basic TV viewing, the direct replacement for analog. Freesat should be the format that is used for HD and other advanced services like the iPlayer which is being trialled on it shortly.

TopUp TV and BT Vision offer more than enough choice for a little bit extra for Freeview users already.
Posted By: purfek Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 7th Nov 2009 5:02pm
Matt, they were faced with a number of issues, currently the problems with freesat and why it may never get off the ground is that the brittish channels will be available in Europe and I think this has created a problem in itself.
The other issue that was presented is a faily common one not all propertys are permitted to install satellite dishes particularly those in residential homes or listed buildings without going throught lengthy planning procedures so the other option was to create a new platform that would be available via your ordinary television ariel. This new platform including making sure that the broadcast industry had the necessary funds to buy in high definition cameras and equipment is what has taken the time Sky television network buys in generally American content viewing.
oh by the way! *lol* their actually now developing super high definition! ROFL! more mhunnie.
Posted By: DJ_Karl_David Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 7th Nov 2009 6:30pm
Im working for the switchover help scheme/digital uk at the moment if anyone needs any advice for the switch over then dont hesitate to PM me.
Posted By: angelina Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 7th Nov 2009 7:51pm
I have lost bbc3, sky 3, bbc4, sky news and sports. An 84 year old lady I know is really into how her new freeveiw and has got the welsh variants , but also has them on the 800+ nos, I will re-tune these for her this week if she has not worked it out. My own problems are harder I have tried re-scanning , but still no joy!!! Oh have no citv or cbeebies either, but that only bothers my grandson!!!
Posted By: DJ_Karl_David Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 7th Nov 2009 8:10pm
you will get all these back on stage 2 in december smile

with regards to the welsh channels it probably just means the ariel is pointing the wrong way
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 7th Nov 2009 8:35pm
Originally Posted by Sanchez
I still have babestation thank the lord smile

Aren't you blind yet?
Posted By: davew3 Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 7th Nov 2009 9:30pm
Got mine sorted except 2,one is a Humax 9300t dvr but that's just a hard reset,the other one is an Asda Duraband one which is basic,tried using a little loop antenna and got the BBC ones working ok but no other channels,so I am looking to get a better antenna and point that to Winter Hill,I have some attenuators somewhere but can't find them,I just want to reduce the gain a bit on the roof antenna as I think that would work.
Posted By: purfek Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 8th Nov 2009 12:08am
The problems with most installations is you have the wrong type of ariel.
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 8th Nov 2009 9:40am
Originally Posted by Northender
Hello

Since rescanning my Freeview box, I am now getting Welsh channels amongst my normal Winter Hill channels.

This is probably coming from Meol-Y-Parc which is in the other direction.

Is anybody else having this problem?

ha ha you tooo
Posted By: angelina Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 8th Nov 2009 8:00pm
Thanks Deadmau5, I thought they may return on phase 2!!!! Fun and games ! I did manage to retune and receive those channels yesterday evening, but alas they had disappeared again this morning.Ha ha
Posted By: raymondo Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 8th Nov 2009 11:26pm
i fit them and what ive found is people have had high gain aerials fitted before the masts were on full power and now they need to have a attenuator fitted to reduce the power coming from the aerial
Posted By: Northender Re: Freeview Problems 4th November - 22nd Apr 2010 1:01am
You can also get a variable attenuator which would suit all installations:

CLICK HERE
© Wirral-Wikiwirral