Forums
Posted By: phalinmegob wireless router - 1st Mar 2009 6:36pm
hi guys, gonna have a go later at setting up a wireless router(netgear) so my kids can get broadband upstairs, i have had no expierience of using these,i understand the connections etc but is there any settings that i need to know from virgin media before i start ?
Posted By: Wheels Re: wireless router - 1st Mar 2009 6:46pm
all i had to do was plug in all the wires then connect to it wirelessly using the wep key (should be on the router)
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: wireless router - 1st Mar 2009 6:54pm
Once you get it up and running then consider the following

If you are sending anything serious over the internet eg Bank/Card details make sure you are using WPA2, all routers support this now and so does Windows XP upwards, unfortunately Microsoft in their wisdom didn't include this as an update so you have to install WPA2 support manually.

CLICKY - XP update for WPA2
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: wireless router - 1st Mar 2009 7:10pm
Don't need to set up anything special for Virgin Media, just plug it in and off you go

But as above, get it secured using a WPA or WEP key, or go the whole hog and do as diggingdeeper has said, install WPA2 on your computer/laptop

Also the old favourite as an addition.
If you are sending bank/credit card details over the Internet, MAKE SURE that the yellow padlock icon is showing at the bottom of your Internet Browser.
If it's not there. Don't continue - My own advice
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: wireless router - 1st Mar 2009 7:58pm
thanks a lot guys,was not sure if i needed all strange ip numbers and what not,gonna give it a go later,kids are doin my head in.
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: wireless router - 1st Mar 2009 8:01pm
that update must be included in one of the service packs on xp,it is already installed on my system,so ready to go.
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: wireless router - 1st Mar 2009 8:15pm
The Virgin Media modem plugs into the back of the router via Ethernet (RJ45) cable.

One of these is supplied with the router, and another one with the modem

Make sure its a CABLE router NOT adsl

Quick way of telling

Cable usually has 5 ethernet connections on the back
ADSL will also have 5, but 1 of them will be smaller

If in doubt, post on here or consult ye olde router manual happy
Posted By: Waddi Re: wireless router - 1st Mar 2009 10:27pm
Is this the free router supplied by Virgin Media?

If so, all the setting are pre-loaded and as everyone else has said, usually a sticker on the side of the router or a card in the router box with A network name and a password. If you are using XP, click start, then "connect to", then wireless connections, a list of availalbe networks should now a appear, click the the network that coresponds with the network name of your router, and you should be promted for the password. now open up Internet explorer and you should be set to go.

If your using Vista, sorry no idea.
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: wireless router - 1st Mar 2009 10:43pm
no it is a router i picked up off freecycle,,got it up and running and my son can connect no problem on his laptop but my other son cannot connect using a usb wireless adaptor so more investigation needed there,next question,do i still need a software firewall running or can i disable that(comodo internet security).it is still on for now.
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: wireless router - 1st Mar 2009 10:46pm
dont know why i said it was a netgear router,it is a linksys wrt54gs
Posted By: SoundLad Re: wireless router - 1st Mar 2009 10:54pm
As most wireless routers usually have a DMZ Zone which basically forwards traffic to a certain PC usually the Cloned MAC Address PC you set your broadband with will still be connected as if it is connected to the Modem but dont worry as i think it will be switched off already and as above as well USE WPA2 its better than WEP cause WEP can be cracked very easily so upgrade if your computer doesnt have.. Onto the USB Wireless connector sometimes these come with the basic of settings but what you have to do is set it manually if you can tell me the name of the USB stick i can tell you step by step if you like on how to do this.. smile
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: wireless router - 1st Mar 2009 11:12pm
took the router out for now,worked ok for about half an hour and then it has just started screeching like the old 56k modem,pc went breasts up and then i got a blue screen of death,not happy now.probably explains why it was on freecycle,maybe give it a try another day.too tired to care now lol
Posted By: AX_125 Re: wireless router - 2nd Mar 2009 9:18am
a router causing a BSOD, never heard of that before. Is it connected via USB of something?
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: wireless router - 2nd Mar 2009 7:38pm
no its connected through normal modem socket,scared to try it again. luckilly i had done a complete format and re=install of my hard drive on sunday morning cos my system was full of crud.only took about 8 hours to re-install all of my programs and games and such like,but i had installed arcronis true image before i installed the router, so i did a reinstall of the earlier made image.20 minutes to re-install o.s and everything(about 22 gb).fantastic program.
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: wireless router - 2nd Mar 2009 7:41pm
on a side note,when reinstalling windows i forgot my broadband cable was still plugged in,got a virus straight away from messenger i think. FORMAT C DRIVE AGAIN.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral