Forums
Hi
I was wondering if anyone else uses Skype for incoming as well as outgoing calls.
And if so do you use just a handset with your PC (PC needs to be on) or do you have a wifi phone (no PC needed)?
Trying to figure out whether to ditch the landline. Have just got subscription for UK unlimited calls (£1.95) and £10 of Pay As You Go (for 0845 numbers etc).
If you use it do you give people your Skype number or your mobile as main number?
Thinking of doing that you see and also the Skype for leaving voicemails if needed. PC is on most of the time when we are here so would make sense to have SKype and if emergency we could use mobile (Skype won't dial 999), or people can contact us on mobile.

Maybe I should do a review of what happens after a month. I've learn a lot about SKype today - never even knew you could have an incoming number.

Anyway - if you've already been there please let me know if its worth it!
All i know about skype is that u can have a handheld skype mobile that u simply top up £10 a month and u get unlimited free calls to other skype users but to other networks u have to use your £10 credit.

Those who have the skype software installed on the pc will be able to contact u through ur skype mobile and also to pc to pcs.

Not really sure if its worth it as a main home line though shrugs

I have it installed on my laptop.

dont use it alot as i dont have many contacts (just family) I think its very good after all its free.

I dont know anything about the mobiles tho frown
That's the problem - I have argued with Rick that if this is going to be a seemless change from a landline to skype we will need a WiFi phone - these do not need your PC to be on all the time to receive calls. They connect straight to your broadband through the router and have the skype software built in.

BUT...these handsets start at about £70 - £80. I'm wondering if its gonna work and if its worth risking spening that much on a handset. I guess there's always ebay if it doesn't work out. Might even look for a phone on there (but even on there they aren't cheap).
hi does any body know how i can connect my phone line but not bt or virgin
erm, i don't think you really have any other options. All the telephone infastruction etc belong to bt and the cable must belong to virgin.
Skype is totally different from your landlines.

Skype is a 100% VOIP solution and uses a softswitch solution rather than one of the PBX BT System X switches.
I'm on it and its working so far as I got a proper handset - a wireless one - though not a wifi one - so PC has to stay on to use it.
wow skype!

Had loads of fun with that when it 1st came out laugh

Used to just use our pc with a hi frequency car microphone and the amplifier connected to the pc.

Had another pc running in the background with soundboards of arnold swartznigger, jack black, jim carrey etc which was hooked to the skype pc audio input.

Used to wind other skype users up, it was fooking hilairious raftl
They were the days laugh
I have it installed and use it now and then, but still prefer the landline
I used to use it about a year ago I found that it slowed down my pc lots

crap
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Skype? Does anyone use it instead of a landline? - 10th Mar 2009 12:42pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_
wow skype!

Had loads of fun with that when it 1st came out laugh

Used to just use our pc with a hi frequency car microphone and the amplifier connected to the pc.

Had another pc running in the background with soundboards of arnold swartznigger, jack black, jim carrey etc which was hooked to the skype pc audio input.

Used to wind other skype users up, it was fooking hilairious raftl
They were the days laugh

withthat they were the days raftl

© Wirral-Wikiwirral