Forums
Posted By: scoop PC antivirus,anti spyware,etc - 18th Aug 2006 8:05pm
Having just formatted my whole computer and returning to having nothing,quite literally,im on the lookout for something to protect my computer fromm all manner of nasty crap. What software do people recomend

Whats "mcafee all in one 2006" like?
Posted By: scoop Re: PC antivirus,anti spyware,etc - 19th Aug 2006 3:05am
I need to stop THIS from happening

[Linked Image]

its happening every minute or so and really bugging me,something tells me i dont have a bug,everytime it comes up its different,theyre are about 5 different ones,telling me to go to all different websites,all with a similar theme tho,and none of them ANYTHING to do with microsoft/windows

by the way,mcafee spyware software is running in the background and had just finished and found nothing,when this popped up.wierd eh
Posted By: MrPhil Re: PC antivirus,anti spyware,etc - 19th Aug 2006 11:52am
i had a similar problem with spyspotters, every 2 mins the comp would go off it's head with a mad siren. hope you get it sorted.
Posted By: lawton Re: PC antivirus,anti spyware,etc - 19th Aug 2006 12:29pm
ive got avg, its free to download and is one of the best out there, also got microsoft antispy ware, thats pretty good
Posted By: MattLFC Re: PC antivirus,anti spyware,etc - 19th Aug 2006 1:01pm
This is the messaging service is part of Windows scoop. You can't actually get rid of it, however you can disable it.

Make sure you login to the Administrator account, or an account with administrator priveledges, then go into control panel, then go to "administrative tools" then go to "services", and then find the services "messenger".

Right click on it and select properties. Then stop the service and the select disable.

This should sort the problem out for you.

smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: PC antivirus,anti spyware,etc - 19th Aug 2006 1:05pm
get rid of mcafee its sh!te

go to start > settings > control panel > administrative tools > services, then go to "messenger" right click, go to properties, click stop and the select startup type to disabled...an ya sorted happy

lol matty beat me to it tease
Posted By: Pomp Re: PC antivirus,anti spyware,etc - 19th Aug 2006 1:06pm
I have McAfee Security Centre n it aint such a bad software, doesnt come up wiv the prmblems u come up wiv!

I'll pm u!
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: PC antivirus,anti spyware,etc - 19th Aug 2006 1:27pm
Originally posted by Escapades:
doesnt come up wiv the prmblems u come up wiv!
thats becas its cack. get avg, its free and better at finding obscure viruses.
Posted By: Pomp Re: PC antivirus,anti spyware,etc - 19th Aug 2006 1:31pm
oh well at least i havnt been gettin problems so i'll stick wiv this one.

Scoop get avg like cuz seems like every one is makin it massive!
Posted By: Mark Re: PC antivirus,anti spyware,etc - 19th Aug 2006 2:29pm
I see that message,
if you dont have SP2 or SP1 installed.

It goes away after that.
As Windows fire wall kicks in.
Posted By: scoop Re: PC antivirus,anti spyware,etc - 19th Aug 2006 3:03pm
Thanks for the comments guys, think ill install the XP sercivce pack(s) and see where that gets me,so if those messages are genuine then why is it directing me to 3rd party pay-for-cleaning-the-registry-sites and not microsoft help??
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: PC antivirus,anti spyware,etc - 19th Aug 2006 3:35pm
they arnt genuine, its a service provided by microsoft that allows windows users to communicate (hence why the service is called messenger) but 3rd party companies exploit the use of this service by sending avertisements through it to try and get you to go on their sites so you pay for their things. SP2 will get rid of it, but disable the windows firewall and get zone alarm as the windows firewall is unreliable at the best of times, too secure at the worst of times and overall annoying!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: PC antivirus,anti spyware,etc - 19th Aug 2006 4:32pm
Dont get Zone Alarm. Many people use it, and it works well, but when it goes wrong, it goes wrong with a vengence - ask Richie if you dont believe me, took me almost an hour to sort his PC out cos Zone Alarm messed it up ... and the worst thing is the problem that ocurred is a bug they have known about for some time now and have not been bothered to fix.

Also, its pathetic and has abosolutely no AI, intereferes with almost everything.

If you are going to use anything atm, the only reliable all in one kit is Windows Live One Care - otherwise Nod32 is the best antivirus and with regards to firewalls, go the same route as me and get a hardware firewall, it pisses all over any software firewall, they are all easily breachable with a little bit of knowledge as Windows has that many flaws.

If you are still using Internet Explorer, get Internet Explorer 7, it is by far more secure then 6 and also has such features as an anti-phishing filter etc... Its the most secure browser atm, a bit too secure sometimes, but its handy.

smile
Posted By: scoop Re: PC antivirus,anti spyware,etc - 19th Aug 2006 5:07pm
got SP2 and they've gone away now. I running firefox again,of course.and am going to lock IE out with the firewall. Is Mcafee 2006 all in one any good? i have it and cant be assed changing now
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: PC antivirus,anti spyware,etc - 19th Aug 2006 5:45pm
Originally posted by MattyC:
Dont get Zone Alarm. Many people use it, and it works well, but when it goes wrong, it goes wrong with a vengence

Also, its pathetic and has abosolutely no AI, intereferes with almost everything.
yeah I agree that it used to be slightly unstable, but has become much more stable and reliable over the years. It's never gone wrong for me, and never let anything past without asking my permission, so thats why I've never changed.

Personally, I'd prefer it not to have AI as thats where problems can occur, but for beginners or moderate computer users, software that has at least some AI could be helpful.

Isnt IE 7 still in beta? Just stick to firefox scoop, infact, go the whole hog and change to linux lol

Don't know if that firwall is any good. I stick to zone alarm cas it takes up less memory than McAfee and Symantec software and as it's free, I never need to find serials e.t.c lol
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: PC antivirus,anti spyware,etc - 20th Aug 2006 8:50pm
i've got 3 thing running on my computer

avg (coz its free!)
absolutesheild internet eraser (remove your 'unwanted' internet history)
ad-aware se (to get rid of spyware)
also its a good idea to get a decent regesty cleaner (don't bother with pop ups telling you about free ones) as this will help you computer run in tip top shape (one warning about using one of these though if you don't look at what it is cleaning it can eraser shortcuts (i.e. mine erasered my links to ie explorer, not that i use it!))
Posted By: jonny vectra sri Re: PC antivirus,anti spyware,etc - 20th Aug 2006 8:57pm
what is drive c? my other computer is telling me that drive c has been corrupted and cannot be repaird? and it wont turn on
Posted By: scoop Re: PC antivirus,anti spyware,etc - 20th Aug 2006 10:28pm
drive C is ur primary hard drive. Time to put in ur restore disk,cos ur comps shagged
Posted By: MattLFC Re: PC antivirus,anti spyware,etc - 20th Aug 2006 11:20pm
Originally posted by scoop2004:
drive C is ur primary hard drive. Time to put in ur restore disk,cos ur comps shagged
Not nessescarily.

Take it to a computer shop, unless the hard drive itself is knackered, almost all software problems are fixable. Its worth a try.

smile
Posted By: jonny vectra sri Re: PC antivirus,anti spyware,etc - 21st Aug 2006 10:26am
i did and they formatted it and reinstalled windows 98? i havent got a clue why? anyway me mate give me windows xp pro to install and everything was going great and then it comes up on screen "drive c has been corupted" WTF?? it wont even turn on at all now and it just bleeps. i ****!ng hate computers mad
Posted By: AX_125 Re: PC antivirus,anti spyware,etc - 21st Aug 2006 10:38am
Does it recognise the Hard Drive in the bios?

Have you tried all the connections from the HDD to the motherboard?
Posted By: txt3rob Re: PC antivirus,anti spyware,etc - 8th Sep 2006 1:47pm
that message means your online with out a firewall
that means your pc will have a virus

get hold of avg free
get hold of avast from mininova
turn on the firewall for your internet connection make sure your running xp sp2

run windows update.
never connect to the internet with out a firewall
net disable messenger in cmd will stop that service
Posted By: MattLFC Re: PC antivirus,anti spyware,etc - 8th Sep 2006 3:25pm
Alright Robbie mate,

you sound a bit lik a parrot there! Lmao.

tease
© Wirral-Wikiwirral