Forums
Posted By: Morseman Foreign stations - 23rd Nov 2008 8:41am
Purely in the interest of research I visit one or two pubs and have noticed that some have football matches from foreign stations. They are not Sky customers so how do they get these stations because I want them? Purely in the interest of research of course! laugh
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Foreign stations - 23rd Nov 2008 11:00am
Abacus computer fair in Liverpool
Guy sells and instals satellite systems which pick up loads of satellites They use a card you can update over Internet or they do it for you
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Foreign stations - 23rd Nov 2008 11:59am
ye and its againist the law to show any 3pm matches on a sat in a public house with this sat yes

fireball will get you pc pcyes
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Foreign stations - 23rd Nov 2008 4:27pm
Just get a generic box (non-Sky) and take a feed off the LNB on that. Point the dish towards Hotbird or Astra 1 etc, and retune the box for channels, and off you go.

The only problem is, as a lot of the foreign services use satellites that dont have a strong footprint over the UK, you may well need a bigger dish, as the dishes on Sky are not big enough. This will also mean a new LNB, as the ones on Sky are made to work with the shape of the minidish.

You can actually pick the boxes, dishes and LNB's up from the likes of LIDL and Aldi nowadays, although they are promotions only. Best place would be Maplin. You can get some stuff with Sky Digital boxes, although you can't add it to the EPG.

Im pretty sure that only Sky broadcasts off the Astra 2/Eurobird sats nowadays, which is at 28.2 degrees, so you would deffo need to be interested in re-aligning the dish etc...

Question is, is it worth the hassle lol.
Posted By: Rhobit Re: Foreign stations - 23rd Nov 2008 4:40pm
One of the lads I knew down in swansea had this kinda thing setup for his Mrs, she was polish, so he sorted it to bring in most of the polish channels.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Foreign stations - 23rd Nov 2008 4:57pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC

Im pretty sure that only Sky broadcasts off the Astra 2/Eurobird sats nowadays, which is at 28.2 degrees, so you would deffo need to be interested in re-aligning the dish etc...

Question is, is it worth the hassle lol.

think ye right bud. you just takein me back a few years there lol. me dad had me up an down the ladder. every day for months finding all the sats lmao raftl we did pick up a few smile was fun at the time. and dont forget move ye dish very, very slow
Posted By: Morseman Re: Foreign stations - 24th Nov 2008 8:58am
Thanks. I think I understood most of that. laugh Basically (I hate that word) you have to have a big dish with pointy thing in it, some kind of box not sky and swivel said dish around until you get something interesting? Alternatively you go to that guy mentioned and he does it for you?

Roger out.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral