Forums
Posted By: MattLFC Virgin To Monitor For Pirates - 9th Jun 2008 5:24pm
Originally Posted by Digital Spy
Virgin Media is working with the music industry to identify broadband users who appear to be sharing music illegally.

They will be sent "informative letters" on how to "safely download music from the internet and avoid the risk of legal action" from both the ISP and the BPI, the industry association.

"The BPI and Virgin Media believe that, in many cases, customers may not be aware that their account is being used in this way," said a statement today.

"Accounts will be identified by Virgin on the basis of information supplied by the BPI. Both letters will be distributed by Virgin, without the need to disclose customer names and addresses to the BPI."

The BPI, recently lent support by the government, wants service providers to take action against music piracy, but many of them have opposed the idea. The agreement with Virgin is the first of its kind in the UK.

Hahahahahaha Virgin are absolute tossers, unlucky any Virgin customers you are now being screened as well as throttled raftl

I know there are a lot of people on here who have moved away in the past year, I bet ya glad ya did now!!

I wonder if they will have the decency to inform their customers that their internet use is being screened, just like they have never had the decency to inform their customers of bandwidth caps and throttling!

And with their proposed launch of Phorm, it makes me wonder if Virgin have any care or respect at all for the privacy of their customers...

Digital Spy Report
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Virgin To Monitor For Pirates - 10th Jun 2008 1:33am
ah well

just monitored for me possibly. no throttle in place yet

dont download a lot though
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Virgin To Monitor For Pirates - 11th Jun 2008 10:33pm
There most probly reading every email/forum post/msn message going "and if i find out that they are and if there reading this message im going to sue you under the data protection act as you have no right to read anything i post or scan my system with out my authority so if i find port scans and not whats i shall be forced to trace the culprits and come down on you like a ton of bricks". Seriously they have no right to scan my system if im downloading something.. I hardly download MP3's anyway let alone software for that matter but if im inquisitive and download something for educational purposes then bring it on sister.. smile
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Virgin To Monitor For Pirates - 11th Jun 2008 11:29pm
they dont scan your hard drive mate. they monitor bandwidth being used
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Virgin To Monitor For Pirates - 11th Jun 2008 11:39pm
we're still with vm... rarely download anything other than general website shit these days... grab the odd album but nothing more than most ppl
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Virgin To Monitor For Pirates - 13th Jun 2008 9:22am
I know mate.. But there scanning the bandwidth.. Emails/ Online Banking etc etc smile
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Virgin To Monitor For Pirates - 13th Jun 2008 10:04am
they can only restrict you if they people you are using excessive bandwidth

just takes the piss, everytime i log on about 8pm my Internet is at 1MB, im paying for 8MB.... AND I AINT EVEN DOWNLOADING, JUST BROWSING !!!
Posted By: Waddi Re: Virgin To Monitor For Pirates - 13th Jun 2008 11:00am
I only downloaded music as a Preview to see if the album is worth buying, more recently I use I-Like to preview music by streaming or most bands are streaming on their own sites now.
Posted By: AR_One Re: Virgin To Monitor For Pirates - 17th Jun 2008 1:17pm
On the subject of the highly dubious Phorm software, there's a petition to sign on the 10 Downing Street website:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ispphorm/
© Wirral-Wikiwirral