Forums
Posted By: MattLFC Microsoft Extend XP Again - 4th Jun 2008 8:23pm
Originally Posted by BBC News
Microsoft has given another lease of life to Windows XP only days before PC makers have to stop selling it.

Windows XP reaches its end of life on 30 June but Microsoft has now said it can continue being sold until June 2010 but only on cheap desktops.

The decision follows one made in April to extend the life of XP on low cost laptops until the same date.

It comes as Dell, HP and Lenovo exploit loopholes in Microsoft's licensing terms to keep putting XP on machines.

laugh

BBC News Report
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Microsoft Extend XP Again - 5th Jun 2008 7:35am
LOL fantastic happy Microsoft must know now Vista is shit haha
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Microsoft Extend XP Again - 5th Jun 2008 1:16pm
Originally Posted by SoundLad
LOL fantastic happy Microsoft must know now Vista is shit haha

Well they have made it clear now, they have done everything to show how shit it is, without putting it in writing.

I think their urgency to tape Windows 7 out asap shows just how bad they consider Vista to be as a commercial product. Because releasing it just 3 years after Vista, when the life cycle should have been 5 - 7 years, will only slow Vista sales down even more!!

smile
Posted By: LukeORourke Re: Microsoft Extend XP Again - 6th Jun 2008 11:52pm
I use Vista and its OK nothing crap about it
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Microsoft Extend XP Again - 7th Jun 2008 12:41am
Originally Posted by Lukeo25

I wonder why Microsoft themselves and us in the IT world, feel differently then??

wink
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Microsoft Extend XP Again - 5th Apr 2009 9:07pm
Originally Posted by Lukeo25

Are you on glue ??????

Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Microsoft Extend XP Again - 5th Apr 2009 10:25pm
I use Vista myself, not really a fan of it but it beats downloading all the drivers from samsung for my laptop to then install XP instead

Will I upgrade to Windows 7 - More than likely
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Microsoft Extend XP Again - 6th Apr 2009 12:52am
My pc came with vista home but i wiped it and put xp on it due to all the bad publicity i was hearing at the time.
Even at the times of win98 98se and me were out i used me until xp arrived.
I was then `forced` into upgrading to xp due to the addiction i had to constantly upgrading my hardware at the time and games were slowly phasing out the old operating systems smile
I suppose i`ll have no choice again soon of having to have Vista as my operating system. Thats just something i`ll have to get used to smile
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Microsoft Extend XP Again - 6th Apr 2009 12:55am
At least they are giving us some sort of option to which OS we want installing on our new computers now.

Bit late though, I wanted XP when I bought this laptop, but in a way got forced to have Vista.

Learnt to live with it now
Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: Microsoft Extend XP Again - 6th Apr 2009 1:05am
i got forced to have vista wen i baught my laptop but to be honest i quite like vista well lets say iv got used to it now but its like everything in life no-body likes a change so i personally think why all the fuss was made about vista cos everyone got so used to xp and the software and game devlopers did aswell and as soon as it all changed boooom world war 4 kicked off but thats only opinion
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Microsoft Extend XP Again - 6th Apr 2009 1:11am
It is a very good point scott.

The software developers will soon have to contend with Windows 7.

If I heard correctly, once Windows 7 is released, Vista will cease to be installed on computers; making the choice of EITHER XP OR Win7
Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: Microsoft Extend XP Again - 6th Apr 2009 1:28am
i just think the same will happen as it did wid vista cos there changin it again there will be a big fuss made.

which i turn will make everyone start to dislike the new windows 7 due to the publicity and comments made about the operating system.

so in my eyes as technology improves and as it changes so rapidly its just on big never endin story wid bad comments and people makin a fuss over nothing cos in time we all end up copin and gettin on and adapting to use the new systems that are out on the market.
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Microsoft Extend XP Again - 6th Apr 2009 1:38am
It doesn't matter how many times they change the software, people are ALWAYS going to complain about it.

Personally i live the vista layout, but the major think I dislike is the amount of memory it uses to run (min 1GB RAM).

I have 2GB RAM installed, and my laptop still, on occasion, struggles to run it when there's a couple more programs open.
It has problems with Media Player 11 especially.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Microsoft Extend XP Again - 7th Apr 2009 7:16pm
Just remember there are lots of "Free.....yes FREE" alternatives out there that are in mine and several other peeps eyes lot more reliable and stable than that Virus ridden, Spyware infected, Malware junked up Bloatware monster that is MS Windoze..in whatever guise.

Linux in any form is just as easy as Windoze ever was.....and most drivers work straight out of the can....

Office Suite for free (Open Office)

What more could you want.....???

edit by Landy Andy....."Maybe a Big Mac"
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Microsoft Extend XP Again - 8th Apr 2009 7:51am
Originally Posted by Landy_Andy
Just remember there are lots of "Free.....yes FREE" alternatives out there that are in mine and several other peeps eyes lot more reliable and stable than that Virus ridden, Spyware infected, Malware junked up Bloatware monster that is MS Windoze..in whatever guise.

Linux in any form is just as easy as Windoze ever was.....and most drivers work straight out of the can....

Office Suite for free (Open Office)

What more could you want.....???

edit by Landy Andy....."Maybe a Big Mac"

Hmm, many `Anoraks` recommend linux.
Problem is there is no game support for it!
When it does take off i can assure you, it won`t be cheap.
They`re just trying to get everyone hooked, then they will charge wink
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Microsoft Extend XP Again - 17th May 2009 8:14am
Spammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lol!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Microsoft Extend XP Again - 17th May 2009 8:59am
Originally Posted by ashash
Yes microsoft extend it again with an new SP3.
You could buy the whole installation disc of Windows XPsp3 or you could download it then install it to your PC.

Or you could run BeOS...
Posted By: DavidB Re: Microsoft Extend XP Again - 17th May 2009 3:45pm
Windows 7 will replace Vista AND XP. The speed increases over XP/Vista are really impressive, it'd be soft to not use it.
But I haven't seen how badly set out it is, Vista was such a massive pain in the arse to have to do anything beyond word processing and looking at photos.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Microsoft Extend XP Again - 17th May 2009 7:53pm
Originally Posted by Station
Windows 7 will replace Vista AND XP. The speed increases over XP/Vista are really impressive, it'd be soft to not use it.
But I haven't seen how badly set out it is, Vista was such a massive pain in the arse to have to do anything beyond word processing and looking at photos.

Why would someone be "soft", simply because they choose not to run Windows 7? Okay, ill consider myself soft, because im not going to deploy Windows 7 across my fleet of CentOS servers... and anyone running OSX, well that's just plain soft... And I must be soft for wanting to stick with Vista/XP for the long term, instead of just changing because something is new and looks flashy etc...

Vista is not a pain in the arse to do anything beyond word processing - if you think this, you have not used it; I use it every single day of my life, no matter where I am, for my business, and have done since November. It is no more difficult than XP or 2000 even, to perform the majority of tasks.

Indeed, if you have the knowledge and the time, you can realy kick Vista into gear, like I have done, and I can't think of a way or a programme I have changed in doing anything - oh, maybe I use the start menu differently now, but thats about it. Im running programmes from 1995 on the damn thing, without hassle. Some of the weird and random workings of Vista can be annoying on the odd occasion (the way you set an icon style, and Vista thinks it knows best, next time you navigate to that folder, the icon style has changed etc) but all in all, its not too far off XP after SP1 is installed.

One area where Vista severely outdoes XP, and even 2000 to an extent, is longevity between reboots on a heavuily used and fully loaded system - I reboot my laptop approximately once every 2 months, and I only usually do this for reasons such as programme installations and updates etc - the damn thing does not seem to slow down and its true they have addressed the memory leakage issues significantly in NT6 when considering NT5, though its still not perfect.

Of course 7 will replace XP and Vista, Blackcomb was always supposed to replace NT5, NT5.1 aka whistler was mainly an interin product, but Blackcomb hit massive delays, and Microsoft spent a hell of a lot of time developing WinFS, and when they realised they could not meet their roadmap for Blackcomb, which was supposed to be Q4 2006, they started hurrying along with the development of Longhorn and for a while they dropped development of Blackcomb altoogether whilst they were rushing the development of Longhorn. As soon as Vista was released, they re-instated Blackcomb, and changed the codename to Vienna, and after a bad response to Vista indusry-wide, they have been rushing to finish Vienna as soon as possible - quite when Microsoft will learn that rushing is not good and its better to develop something that works out of the box, instead of developing something that works sort of, and then you need a few major fixes to address issues in the following years, I don't know. Id rather they had stuck to the original roadmap of a 2011 release for Vienna, instead of pushing out another half-arsed attempt at it for Q4 2009. These rash decisions and rushed work, are going to cost them in the long run, because the industry is losing confidence in them. By hurrying the development of Vienna, and releasing it just 30 months after a product you touted as the best thing since bread was sliced, and still not wanting to admit that you messed up with the product, is not good.

I still prefer the working enviroment of 2000 and XP, no doubt about it, just feel more at home; but then as they are both NT5, which is an insnanely mature system (NT5 has been around since 1998 as a product) compared to NT6, then there is little wonder. Also, they are closer tied into the Windows 95 way of doing things, whereas Vista has tried to move away from it. It's still "shit", because its a big mistake and Microsoft wont admit it. I despise the stupid hardware requirements, just to run an OS, so it can look fancy, and question why the thing needs to use so much hard drive space etc, but as for actually using it, its not all to bad. XP was already a 3 year old product by the time it came to market, and very refined and mature, Vista was brand new when it came to market, and very immature, but has actually probably proved more reliable at launch than XP was. It is just too much of a change all at once, and it doesnt always do as one would expect, such is the "wizardness" of it, whereas with NT5, the user had control over 99% of everything that happened on the OS, which is one of the main reasons myself, and the IT industry in general, don't particuarly like it. SP1 was a massive benefit for Vista, but should we really need an OS to have a major fix done to it, just to start getting things into order? In my world, the fix should be made prior to public release, but so many companies are happy to throw raw versions of software onto the public and address the problems later nowadays, that Microsoft could be forgiven for simply following a modern market trend.

But, I guess I must be soft, not wanting to change from something that works 100%, merely because there is a new and fancy OS to be seen with!!

smile
Posted By: DavidB Re: Microsoft Extend XP Again - 17th May 2009 9:58pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC

Why would someone be "soft" ... merely because there is a new and fancy OS to be seen with!!

smile

oshocked
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Microsoft Extend XP Again - 17th May 2009 10:26pm
laugh
© Wirral-Wikiwirral