Forums
Posted By: MattLFC Facebook Violates 22 Privacy Laws - 31st May 2008 8:48pm
Originally Posted by BBC News
A Canadian privacy group has filed a complaint against the social networking site Facebook accusing it of violating privacy laws.

The Canadian Internet Policy and Public Interest Clinic has listed 22 separate breaches of privacy law in its country.

Clinic Director Phillipa Lawson told the BBC that, with over 7 million users in Canada, "Facebook needs to be held publicly accountable".

Facebook rejects the charge, claiming some of the highest standards around.

The basis of the complaint, filed with the Office of the Privacy Commissioner, states that Facebook collects sensitive information about its users and shares it without their permission.

It goes on to say that the company does not alert users about how that information is being used and does not adequately destroy user data after accounts are closed.

I did warn everyone... and wow even after you close you're account, you data is not destoryed properly... im glad ive never been had by this bunch of scammers!!

BBC News Report
Posted By: exploding_penguin Re: Facebook Violates 22 Privacy Laws - 31st May 2008 9:02pm
at the end of the day dont put anything on the web your not happy for the whole world to see!
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Facebook Violates 22 Privacy Laws - 31st May 2008 9:04pm
usa/americas are all the saME, SLIGHTEST INFRINGEMENT BECOMES A 3 YR DRAMA SERIES FOR TV, BORED ALREADY LOL... just dont put real address info etc in... anyone that does is an idiot lol - anyway (ps: didnt realise i hit caps earlier)
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Facebook Violates 22 Privacy Laws - 31st May 2008 9:05pm
Originally Posted by exploding_penguin
at the end of the day dont put anything on the web your not happy for the whole world to see!

100% agree with this...
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Facebook Violates 22 Privacy Laws - 31st May 2008 9:11pm
Its not just about protecting you're ID... with just the required details, they can abuse them; Facebook are investing millions of dollars into a targetted advertising system, whereby companies will basically be able to buy any info they want about you, including you're email account and address, and then use it as they wish, unregulated.

I could buy you're details and target you with spam, and nobody would bat an eyelid.

There is also a lot of applications on there that are hiding backdoors etc, and people can infect you're system with allsorts of shite just by you visiting a page with a bad application.

The simple way to avoid it, is not to use Facebook; the company has absolutely no interest in looking after or protecting its users and their data, they are only interested in one thing, and that is justifying the ludacris $7billion pricetag they have put on the site; how the hell Facebook can be worth $7billion when MySpace, with 4x the amount of users, is only worth £300million, is beyond answer... this is why Facebook will do anything with you're data to make the company more profitable.

The simple way to avoid falling foul of Facebook is to not get an account. Full stop.

smile
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Facebook Violates 22 Privacy Laws - 31st May 2008 9:12pm
your* tease

you're = you are

your = something belonginging to the person you're talkin about
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Facebook Violates 22 Privacy Laws - 31st May 2008 9:13pm
kiss it lol
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Facebook Violates 22 Privacy Laws - 31st May 2008 9:14pm
i barely kiss the missus so i'll pass haha
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Facebook Violates 22 Privacy Laws - 31st May 2008 9:15pm
raftl
Posted By: Spritey_Nikki Re: Facebook Violates 22 Privacy Laws - 31st May 2008 9:23pm
ok....

now i agree that you should never put your details on sites and stuff....but people do.....it all boils down to protection...i blieve it was only a couple of months ago it was in the paperz about the government loosing three disks of data about some of te public being on benefits....

if the government dont look after information, then why should websites give one....

at the end of the day....no-body has privacy in this country, iam on the electorol register...and the amount of crap i get through my front door is unbelievable...

so the moral of the story, shred anything with your name and address on it (or any other details)....and dont give information over the internet...basically don do anything in this country (big brother is always watching you)

btw...did you also know employers that are looking to hire people, when they get someone they are interested in, tey have been looking into their facebook profile (if they have one) to see what kind of personal life they have/lead......we have no privacy anway....you just have to be careful....
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Facebook Violates 22 Privacy Laws - 31st May 2008 9:27pm
Originally Posted by Corsa_Nikki0166
btw...did you also know employers that are looking to hire people, when they get someone they are interested in, tey have been looking into their facebook profile (if they have one) to see what kind of personal life they have/lead......we have no privacy anway....you just have to be careful....

Lol this another thing Facebook are planning to exploit, to sell a database for employers to access (at a small cost per search) a facility with which they can search for prospective employee's accounts, and even see data "thought" to have been deleted, even if the person has deleted the account it will still show!!
Posted By: Pomp Re: Facebook Violates 22 Privacy Laws - 31st May 2008 9:28pm
Originally Posted by Corsa_Nikki0166

Don't you have to add someone to see their information?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Facebook Violates 22 Privacy Laws - 31st May 2008 10:24pm
well i had an account. with facebook well i still have till they see the blog and post i have done to all my friends raftl raftl
i have posted this topic on there and added a bit more and finshed off with this wink

so we all have been had by this bunch of scammers!!
destoryed my data properly please

just waiting to see what they will do now raftl raftl
Posted By: Spritey_Nikki Re: Facebook Violates 22 Privacy Laws - 31st May 2008 10:44pm
Originally Posted by Pomp

Don't you have to add someone to see their information?

not necessarily....its only if you have ur profile set on priavte is that the case, and many people dont...however employers set up an account, add people (potential employees)....employees add them more often than not...and bingo they got their required information......they always find a way round it...
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Facebook Violates 22 Privacy Laws - 31st May 2008 10:48pm
ps: io dont really care
Posted By: exploding_penguin Re: Facebook Violates 22 Privacy Laws - 31st May 2008 11:20pm
as for the e-mail account i always use a 'special' e-mail account so they can send all there shite there!
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Facebook Violates 22 Privacy Laws - 31st May 2008 11:45pm
[email protected] by any chace?
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Facebook Violates 22 Privacy Laws - 1st Jun 2008 10:48am
Know people will listen to me and you matty happy
© Wirral-Wikiwirral