Forums
Posted By: Wheels Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 19th Jan 2008 7:39pm
Pretty thin, everyone seems very happy with it

Part one

[youtube]x5iPJwZkr6E[/youtube]

part two

[youtube]OP-UpM8Q-wc[/youtube]

Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 10:50am
yer but it's £1200 and it's got no disc slots at all you have to buy add ons which bump the price up even more.

Big hype for a product that looks good and nothing else.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 10:53am
Originally Posted by Dazzz
Big hype for a product that looks good and nothing else.

As with all modern Apple products.

I like they way they rob other peoples idea's and make them out as though they are innovative and launching a revolution...

Just like Google!
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 11:03am
What idea have the stolen then matty
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 11:13am
I dont have all day to list them... but this type of laptop has been out for years, using chips like Transmeta's and Via Eden's etc...

I see Apple are billing it as a revolution, when in actual fact, yet again, they are just years behind the PC industry... Okay, its a bit thinner then anything before... but does it really offer any advantage?

The 1.8" HDD's have reached their peak in terms of capacity; they so for £1200 you are stuck with 80GB (120 is the biggest commercially available) until SSD's get bigger. And as you say, there is no media drive, so in essence, you will require an external DVD/BR drive and an external HDD. Which defeats the object!

Id rather have a normal "small" laptop, which houses a nice 2.5" drive (320GB are available in these now with Hitachi recently "somehow" cramming an extra platter in to get to the 500GB level), that is more likely to withstand the daily wear and tear and shocks of being transported and that costs maybe half the price!

wink
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 11:22am
So basiclly :-

All show, No go.

If i'm to get a laptop will just get a nice Acer one for a few hundred quid and it will do what i need it to.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 11:28am
Originally Posted by Dazzz
will just get a nice Acer one

seeyu stay away from Acer; they are okay priced, but the build quality isnt upto much, and as for the aftersales care, even when you have an insurance plan with them, they are utter shite!

I lost my laptop for 10 weeks because when it went in for a HDD replacement, they decided to change the DVDRW at the same time but couldnt source a new DVDRW...

They kept putting refurbished HDD's in it, which kept breaking/having problems. I couldnt trust putting my data on them it so now I am running my own bought one instead.

Takes 30 minutes+ to get through to them everytime, unless you ring as soon as it hits 9am, and then they are not the most helpful company in the world.

All in all, with the likes of HP's at the same price, stay well away from Acer. If you get an Acer which never develops a problem, you will be fine, but its a big risk to take for a measly saving.

I will never buy them again!

wink
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 11:33am
I will consider myself told.

HP it will be then.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 11:39am
Well HP is who ive dealt with in the past and had no problems with so thats a personal preference... but others like Samsung and Sony should be good.

On the Notebook forums, Acer have a bad rep on there for aftersales support, one persons laptop got sent in for a screen repair, they sent it to their lab in Holland, and lost it, with all the persons data on.

Mark also told me once, that their "8x" DVDR drives were incapable of running at 8x because they were limited to 2x for some reason?

Turned up a few months later, in their US/Canadian labs iirc... make of that what you will!

Also, believe it or not, Dell are extremely good for support, but their systems come preloaded with tons of crap that you have to remove (like 7 ISP's etc).

smile
Posted By: Wheels Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 4:02pm
I use A cheap Toshiba laptop that i bought from Toshiba Outlet on the oaks. it does me for what i do altho i did hit my hard drives limit yesterday and had to clear some crap off it. think i paid about £260 for it and its wireless. smile battery life is pants tho.
Posted By: Pomp Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 4:53pm
Wheels clean out your system restore that takes some gigs outa ye.
I got mine from Toshiba Outlet aswel, did u try an get a discount? or was that a discounted price?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 5:25pm
Ditch system restore full stop - its next to useless, and not only wastes HDD space but also wastes system resources.

It can only restore the most basic of changes.

smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 6:25pm
Mattys last post should read :-

"Ditch Windows full stop - its next to useless, and not only wastes HDD space but also wastes system resources."

Sorry Matty LoL raftl

Were those MMC Cards ok for you??
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 6:32pm
Lmao fella!

Dunno about ditch Windows, but avoid Vista haha!

Yeah, the 128 didnt work though, had allsorts of errors when transferring files, but used the 64MB that worked fine. Cheers fella.

Got a new phone now though, so if ye need em back lemme know.

smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 6:36pm
No you keep em... LoL

Good to know they (well one!) was usefull.

Cheers
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 6:38pm
Okies matey, sounds like ya almost glad to be rid of em, were they just hanging around wasting space? Lmao!

smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 7:15pm
All my stuff now uses SD ...

Loads faster etc

Posted By: Wheels Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 9:39pm
Originally Posted by Pomp
Wheels clean out your system restore that takes some gigs outa ye.
I got mine from Toshiba Outlet aswel, did u try an get a discount? or was that a discounted price?

yeh mate it was £300+ so i did get an ok discount.

P.S how do i get rid of the crappy system restore?
Posted By: Pomp Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 9:46pm
"Steps to turn off System Restore
1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. In the System Properties dialog box, click the System Restore tab.
3. Click to select the Turn off System Restore check box. Or, click to select the Turn off System Restore on all drives check box.
4. Click OK.
5. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm that you want to turn off System Restore:
You have chosen to turn off System Restore. If you continue, all existing restore points will be deleted, and you will not be able to track or undo changes to your computer.

Do you want to turn off System Restore?
After a few moments, the System Properties dialog box closes."

(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405)
Posted By: Wheels Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 9:50pm
Done, cheers pomp!!!!! smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 9:51pm
1. Go the start menu then find "My Computer"
2. Right click on it
3. Go to "Properties"
4. Select the "System Restore" tab
5. Tick the "Turn off system restore" box at the top
6. Click on "Apply"

This disables the function, but the service may continue to run, so to turn it off completely do this:

1. Go to "Control Panel"
2. Go to "Administrative Tools"
3. Open up "Services"
4. Scroll down to "System Restore"
5. Double click on it
5. Ammend "Startup Type" to Disabled
7. Click Apply and thats it turned off completely.

smile
Posted By: Pomp Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 9:52pm
After you done that jst go onto start/all programs/accessories/system tools/disk cleanup

Once it loads click on "more options" tab then click "clean up..."
under the system restore bit then click ok then click yes an ur done.
Posted By: Wheels Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 10:12pm
Ok done all that and screen shot it.

This was yesterday when it was full

[Linked Image]

Then i got rid of some crap

[Linked Image]

then after cleaning out the system restore

[Linked Image]

tbh it didnt do as much as i thought it would. anyway i have some more space for now until i can be bothered plugging in the external hard drive and backing it all up on there.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 10:15pm
Dunno if you are interested, but they are doing 120GB laptop drives in PC World for £40 atm, and 160's for £60.

Im going to get a 250GB from eBuyer soon for mine, they only £78 with free delivery.

smile
Posted By: Wheels Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 10:17pm
would i be able to just do a straight swap with my current HD?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 10:19pm
Yes, doesnt matter if its PATA or SATA, they are both the same price range. But this you would need to find out, if you have the model number, I can probably find out for you.

It is usually as simple as adding memory, sometimes you dont eve have to unscrew anything, on my lappy the hard drive just slides out from behind the battery.

smile
Posted By: Wheels Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 10:22pm
model number: psaa2e - 05j032en

i think
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 10:25pm
According to this site it is an SATA.

http://www.icecat.com.ua/de/p/Toshiba/PSAA2E-05J032EN/Satellite%2520A100-570.htm

smile
Posted By: Wheels Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 10:27pm
cool cheers dude. took you bloody seconds to do that u wizz!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 10:28pm
Not sure if this is exactly the same, but this is the A105 (yours is the A100, the A105 could be the US variant, but either way likely to be similar if not the same).

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-A105/remove-motherboard-1.htm

See if yours looks like this underneath -
http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-A105/big/Toshiba-Satellite-A105-01.jpg

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 20th Jan 2008 10:30pm
Originally Posted by Wheels
cool cheers dude. took you bloody seconds to do that u wizz!

Lmao no problemo, glad to be of help, me and Google have a nice understanding!

google

Hehe!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Introduction of the Apple MacBook Air - 23rd Jan 2008 12:54am
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131277

£10 cheaper then mine cos I need a PATA one lol!

tease
© Wirral-Wikiwirral