Forums
Posted By: Wheels Thinking about getting the iphone - 1st Nov 2007 5:03pm
realease date is 9th november and im thinking of getting one.

anyone have any pro's and cons?

Carphone warehouse info <---here

Posted By: Mark Re: Thinking about getting the iphone - 1st Nov 2007 5:42pm
If its version 1.0 i would be wary, but i cant offer any more advice than that frown
Posted By: Waddi Re: Thinking about getting the iphone - 1st Nov 2007 6:32pm
cons afaik

cant remove the battery, so you cant carry a spare battery incase you have no recharge point where you are going, i.e camping for example.

its only EDGE i.e 2.75G not 3G

Camera is only a 2mp

No GPS

apparantly it doesnt support MP3 format, only aac.

So if you can live with them, then go ahead.
Posted By: Wheels Re: Thinking about getting the iphone - 1st Nov 2007 9:27pm
just woked it out.

phone £260+
contract £630 (providing you never go over your mins)min 18 month contract. hmmmm

might keep the N95 and just buy the ipod touch.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Thinking about getting the iphone - 2nd Nov 2007 3:12am
Its not worth it matey, seriously not worth it.

smile
Posted By: Wheels Re: Thinking about getting the iphone - 2nd Nov 2007 3:49am
yeah, i have spent all day reading/watching reviews and tbh ide be wasting my money.

oh well. only thing now is what should i buy?

been looking at 125 fiddys/itouch/PS3 or a New Gas powered rifle. hmmmmmm
Posted By: Waddi Re: Thinking about getting the iphone - 2nd Nov 2007 10:08am
If you want a different phone, have a look at the LG KU990 VIEWTY
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Thinking about getting the iphone - 3rd Nov 2007 4:02am
Lol just noticed a little clause:

Originally Posted by o2.co.uk
At the end of the 18 months you'll continue to subscribe to one of the iPhone tariffs until you give us 30 days notice to cancel. In order to keep using the iPhone you'll need to continue your payments on your iPhone contract.

No wonder they were trying to get me to move to an iPhone contract haha, officially, you will never be eligable for an upgrade, and you will never be able to leave your tariff if you want the iPhone to continue working... so whilst the contract is 18 months minimum term, its really as long as you intend to keep and use the phone, so could go on for years without an upgrade etc...

Pretty shitty to be honest, I think Apple have got it all wrong and are totally bang out of order with it. You pay £269 for the phone, then a further minimum of £630 over the course of 18 months, for paltry minutes and text allowance, not to mention any further charges you incur, and at the end of it all, it will have cost you around the £1000 mark minimum and you wont be able to even use the phone, unless you stay on a iPhone contract. So they are basically charging you a bomb to lease the phone from them, but you get no cover if it breaks! And no upgrade when its out of date!!

Who the fook do Apple think they fookin are? Cheeky ... robbing barstard if you ask me mad and people say Microsoft are bad and Apple are poor little innocent Apple mad mad
Posted By: Mark Re: Thinking about getting the iphone - 3rd Nov 2007 11:06am
Good find, sneaky i say, and wrong.
Posted By: Wheels Re: Thinking about getting the iphone - 3rd Nov 2007 11:35am
it is naughty of them. I have had a go and got bored of it quicker than expected :-(

I will let the hype die down and see what offers that they can do in future and what software upgrades they release to enable a richer internet expirance.

But until then what should i waste my money on? Lol
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Thinking about getting the iphone - 3rd Nov 2007 3:16pm
You could get a lookalike phone on Ebay for £80 - my mate has one and their actually very good for the price, I was expecting them to be utter crud, but was surprised.

Their a bit slow at intensive things cos the CPU is only 100Mhz, but fine for most things. They got quite similar software and still have touchscreen, 2 meg camera etc...

smile
Posted By: Waddi Re: Thinking about getting the iphone - 3rd Nov 2007 9:50pm
I had a feeling about that Matty, as the sim (like the battery) is not removable. so there would be no way of putting in a PAYG sim after the contract had run out.
Posted By: Mark Re: Thinking about getting the iphone - 4th Nov 2007 11:49am
i fail to see how under those conditions its going to take off?
Apple need to take a look in the mirror big time.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral