Forums
Posted By: MattLFC $9,250 Per Song To Share LOL!! - 5th Oct 2007 4:02am
Originally Posted by BBC News
A court in the US has ordered a woman to pay $222,000 (£109,000) in damages for illegally downloading music.

The jury ordered Jammie Thomas, 32, from Minnesota, to pay for offering to share 24 specific songs online - a cost of $9,250 per song.

But the fine could have been millions, as record companies said she illegally shared a total of 1,702 songs.

Ms Thomas was the first person accused of illegal file-sharing who decided to fight the case in court.

Each year millions of households illegally share music files, and the music industry takes it as a serious threat to its revenue.

About 26,000 lawsuits have been filed against alleged file-sharers, but most defendants settle privately by paying a fine amounting to a few thousand dollars.

WTF??!!! :OMG:

BBC News Report
Posted By: AX_125 Re: $9,250 Per Song To Share LOL!! - 5th Oct 2007 8:00am
She knew it was wrong.

It is a shame new artists don't get a bit more from record companies. I would gladly buy a CD from an unknown if i knew a better percentage was going to the artist, rather than some fat cat at a record company. I bet there is alot of amazing, undiscovered talent out there. Evil empire.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: $9,250 Per Song To Share LOL!! - 5th Oct 2007 10:10am
could have swore i read about this case ages ago... and if it wasn't this particular at was extremely similar... even this woman's name rings a bell lol...

anyway, u know wot u are risking when u share/download music illegally...quite a harsh outcome all the same... i very much doubt she'll do it again lol
Posted By: Mark Re: $9,250 Per Song To Share LOL!! - 5th Oct 2007 10:48am
OMG
Personally i think its one of them "Make the Headlines"
things again. They show up every now and then. But they
wont stop the sharer unless there is one of these cases
every week.

They need to look at the Sharing Hubs on Campus's
and colleges. That's where the real sharing beings.

IMO wink
© Wirral-Wikiwirral