Forums
Posted By: MattLFC Unlock iPhone For Orange UK - 26th Aug 2007 1:00am
http://mobilebritain.blogspot.com/2007/08/unlock-iphone-with-supersim.html

Interesting as you don't have to mess around with a soldering iron to do this unlock, but it will only work for AT&T network versions (the only ones currently available in the world anyway) being unlocked for Orange UK, and is highly unlikely to work when the iPhone is released exclusive to o2 this Christmas in the UK (Apple are already hard at work resolving the flaws that unlockers have so far managed to exploit, and they themselves are VERY few and far between lol).

It has apparently only been done successfully on Orange by anyone in the UK, so it is unknown as to whether or not it can work on any other networks, and is therefore not advisable to be tried on any other network.

Also, you do it at your own risk. There is a possibility the phone can be broken.

The only other unlock I know of can work on any network, but requires physical changes to the phone hardware itself, and also requires the sim to be programmed to work on the phone. And is basically a complete pain in the arse to do.

Personally, fook the iPhone, its shite, but someone may be interested in it hehe.

smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Unlock iPhone For Orange UK - 26th Aug 2007 1:08am
laugh
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Unlock iPhone For Orange UK - 26th Aug 2007 12:42pm
Why do they lock them anyway?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Unlock iPhone For Orange UK - 26th Aug 2007 12:47pm
Because the likes of o2 and AT&T are paying Apple an absolute fortune to secure exclusive rights to sell the phones. They are regarded as one of the "must have" gadgets of the next year or so (not by myself I must stress).

For instance, on top of the price o2 have to pay for the phone, they will also be giving Apple 10% of all revenue generated via customers who take the phone.

And that could potentially be millions hehe.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Unlock iPhone For Orange UK - 26th Aug 2007 12:49pm
ahh right, thanks man, always wondered why they locked them
smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral