Forums
Posted By: MattLFC Weird Problem With Laptop PSU - 20th Aug 2007 12:30am
Basically, it keeps switching itself off randomly as though some sort of cut off point within the adaptor itself and the fuse is letting through too much power. Sometimes its every few minutes, other times its every half hour or so.

Take the plug out of the adaptor and plug it back in, or flick the power switch off then back on and its fine again until the next time it decides to go off.

There is a 10amp fuse in it atm, because last month I had to replace the 5amp for the same reason and didnt have a new 5amp to hand.

After I replaced the 5 amp it seemed to work fine until tonight when its started doing it again.

Gonna get a new 3amp and 5amp fuses to try tomorrow, but any other idea's??

smile

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Weird Problem With Laptop PSU - 20th Aug 2007 12:32am
Maybe the adapters overheating?

Try another one (if possible)
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Weird Problem With Laptop PSU - 20th Aug 2007 12:35am
Lol I wish I had another to try. I thought about it overheating yano (I did for a while think this had to be the problem), but how would we then explain it going back to normal operation (well for a month or two) when the fuse was change?

It does get quite hot however, although no hotter then usual. Its 135watt (has to power a full Pentium 4 laptop) so it does run hotter then most laptop adapters.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Weird Problem With Laptop PSU - 20th Aug 2007 12:39am
Mind you, my old kettle used to physically turn itself on and off so maybe im just jinxed??

Or maybe its me ded nan and grandad playing tricks on me lol.

grin
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Weird Problem With Laptop PSU - 20th Aug 2007 12:40am
Maybee its overheating faster than normal? in order for the fuse to blow there must be a serge in the power, the reason it lasts a bit longer with a higher fuse is because it takes more to blow it.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Weird Problem With Laptop PSU - 20th Aug 2007 12:41am
Well the fuse cant be blowing can it cos wouldnt that mean it wouldnt work again until its replaced??

think
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Weird Problem With Laptop PSU - 20th Aug 2007 12:50am
Duhhh, silly me, lol smack
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Weird Problem With Laptop PSU - 20th Aug 2007 12:52am
Lol, it must be due to some sort of cut out protection device in the adapter... im just wondering whats causing it haha!

It hasnt done it since I started this bloody thread now lol!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Weird Problem With Laptop PSU - 20th Aug 2007 1:51pm
Well it happened this morning, when I first turned the laptop on, so it can't be overheating.

Replaced the fuse with a 5amp and it still happened a couple of times, so I will have to try a 3amp when I can find one.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Weird Problem With Laptop PSU - 20th Aug 2007 5:21pm
I'm guessing the PS adaptor/transformer is fooked - faulty component inside or dodgy connection?

Try moving it about and knocking it to see if thats what causes it?

Wouldn't be a fuse though.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Weird Problem With Laptop PSU - 20th Aug 2007 5:24pm
Dunno, its been okay since this morning. I might phone up Acer and get them to have a look at it though as its still under insurance.

Got a feeling if I send it back to them, they will turn around and say there isnt a fault lol and send it back and then the fault will re-occur, because its a random fault that doesnt happen all the time.

think
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Weird Problem With Laptop PSU - 20th Aug 2007 7:33pm
Demand a replacement, you pay for extra cover, your entitled to it. Just explain its an intermitant fault and you need it for work etc.
These aren`t cheap!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Weird Problem With Laptop PSU - 20th Aug 2007 7:57pm
Yeah, I think im gonna have to contact them about it, cant be assed paying for a new one, the cheapest I have found one for my laptop is £39.00 for the one included (I can probably get cheapo ones from Hong Kong, but I won't trust cheapo power supplies im afraid).

smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral