Forums
Posted By: MattLFC Consultation On Sky Pay TV DTT Plans - 26th Jun 2007 10:24am
Originally Posted by Digital Spy
Ofcom has announced that it will conduct a public consultation on proposals from BSkyB and National Grid Wireless to replace Sky’s free channels with pay-TV services on the digital terrestrial television (DTT) platform.

Following Sky's announcement of these plans in February, Ofcom has been supplied with further detail by the two companies and says it now has sufficient information to review the proposals.

Sky is seeking to replace its three existing free-to-air channels - Sky News, Sky Three and Sky Sports News - with three pay television channels. The regulator has also confirmed that despite previous plans, MPEG4 compression technology will not be used.

The proposals raise a number of issues, including how Ofcom can best ensure fair and effective competition for the benefit of consumers.

I personally don't think they will get it as it will devalue the Freeview service.

I also dont really think its worth Sky doing it, there would be very little take up imho, I think Murdoch is only doing it because he is pissed off that Ofcom will never let Sky have a PSB channel. The the reason Sky Travel never got turned into Sky Channel after all.

Digital Spy Report
Posted By: fordsteve Re: Consultation On Sky Pay TV DTT Plans - 26th Jun 2007 6:29pm
just sounds like they trying to get more money out of every one
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Consultation On Sky Pay TV DTT Plans - 26th Jun 2007 6:31pm
Well its not so much more money, cos their isnt much to be gained from the DTT market, but i think it helps them get their foot in the door for IPTV, as well as pissing off Ofcom for not giving them a PSB license as the Sky channels are important to Freeview lol.
Posted By: fordsteve Re: Consultation On Sky Pay TV DTT Plans - 26th Jun 2007 6:33pm
lol very true mate
© Wirral-Wikiwirral