Forums
Posted By: MattLFC Blu-ray Only At Blockbuster - 18th Jun 2007 1:53pm
Originally Posted by BBC News
Film rental firm Blockbuster is to rent high-definition DVDs in the Blu-ray format only at 1,450 of its US stores.
The move is viewed as a blow for the rival Toshiba-backed HD DVD format - which has been battling against the Blu-ray format, supported by Sony.

Blockbuster said that consumers have chosen Blu-ray over HD DVD in the 250 stores where both were available.

The limited choice of titles in the HD DVD format was also a factor in focusing on Blu-ray, Blockbuster said.

"The consumers are sending us a message. I can't ignore what I'm seeing," Matthew Smith, senior vice president of merchandising at Blockbusters, told the Associated Press news agency.

I personally think they are being paid to stock blu-ray only as films from some studio's such as Universal will ONLY be released on HD-DVD.

I wouldnt be surprised if Sony hasnt got a lot to do with this.

BBC News Report
Posted By: FlightlessNinja Re: Blu-ray Only At Blockbuster - 18th Jun 2007 3:08pm
This is another VHS and Betamax war isn't it.

Personally i prefer blueray.

Sony created a prototype 50% paper blueray disk that held 25gb of data.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Blu-ray Only At Blockbuster - 18th Jun 2007 3:12pm
TDK recently developed a 1000GB (aye one terabyte) Blu-ray disc, that a lot of existing recorders can record to with only firmware upgrade.

Its still in prototype stages, but its something that will be interesting for the future.

Personally I will probably just buy a PS3 for Blu-ray, but it wont be any time soon, probably when DVD's finally become obsolete. I dont need HD.

Blu-ray on PC's is the thing that it will benefit most, for backing up data.

smile
Posted By: FlightlessNinja Re: Blu-ray Only At Blockbuster - 18th Jun 2007 3:14pm
There was a terabyte disk prototype ages ago and it used flouresant markers on the surface of the disk.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral