Forums
Posted By: scoop Vote : Who still has 56k - 7th Jun 2006 1:15pm
With the pricing of BB now so low and everyone i know having broadband lets have a check and see if ANYONE actually still has 56k
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Vote : Who still has 56k - 7th Jun 2006 4:08pm
5 years for me, could never go back to them slow ass speeds, 6 weeks for a film to download (legally of course wink ) and a penny a minute...wtf was that all about? lol
Posted By: GazzA Re: Vote : Who still has 56k - 7th Jun 2006 4:12pm
8MB for me - bout 18 months now
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Vote : Who still has 56k - 7th Jun 2006 4:48pm
I have only had broadband for about 6 months
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Vote : Who still has 56k - 7th Jun 2006 10:39pm
Originally posted by GazzA:
8MB for me - bout 18 months now
who the fecks that with? how much? and any limits?
Posted By: GazzA Re: Vote : Who still has 56k - 8th Jun 2006 12:59am
Aol Platinum BETA
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Vote : Who still has 56k - 8th Jun 2006 6:51pm
Ao-Hell you say? I'll stick to my 2mb with good ol' ntl happy
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Vote : Who still has 56k - 8th Jun 2006 8:01pm
Ive had broadband since Cable & Wireless first started trialling their STB DOCSIS 1.1 service in 1998.

Originally, it was 64Kbps, then it went to 128Kbps, then shortly after 256Kbps.

Then, when it eventually became available to the public, it went upto 512Kbps.

NTL bought CWC UK Residential in 2000, so it was then provided by NTL.

I then got their 1Mbps service in 2002, then it increased to 3Mbps in late 2004, although from 2003 until mid-2005 I also had a 2Mbps Bulldog DSL service as well, with both connections running via a load balancer until I moved house in late 2005.

I currently have 2Mbps from Virgin.Net who have been good, however, I am awaiting for them to LLU on the Arrowebrook exchange, then it will be "upto" 8Mbps, although given the distance it will be more like 5Mbps. Having said that, if they take long enough it may come with the DSLAM software upgrade at the time of LLU which will mean it will be "upto" 16Mbps (not that many standard ADSL modems can attain more then 8Mbps but never mind).

I am happy with 2Mbps, personally I believe it is the maximum a home user currently should require, even with multiple computers on the network. I can't see there being a need for much higher then 2Mbps in the near future either.

GazzA, what service is the 8Mbps you are recieveing? AFAIK, no Wirral exchanges have had their DSLAM's LLU'ed as yet, so I assume it must be via cable or maybe even leased line (highly doubtful though).

smile
Posted By: scoop Re: Vote : Who still has 56k - 9th Jun 2006 12:19pm
Originally posted by MattyC:
Ive had broadband since Cable & Wireless first started trialling their STB DOCSIS 1.1 service in 1998.

I then got their 1Mbps service in 2002, then it increased to 3Mbps in late 2004, although from 2003 until mid-2005 I also had a 2Mbps Bulldog DSL service as well, with both connections running via a load balancer until I moved house in late 2005.

I currently have 2Mbps from Virgin.Net who have been good, however, I am awaiting for them to LLU on the Arrowebrook exchange, then it will be "upto" 8Mbps, although given the distance it will be more like 5Mbps. Having said that, if they take long enough it may come with the DSLAM software upgrade at the time of LLU which will mean it will be "upto" 16Mbps (not that many standard ADSL modems can attain more then 8Mbps but never mind).

I am happy with 2Mbps, personally I believe it is the maximum a home user currently should require, even with multiple computers on the network. I can't see there being a need for much higher then 2Mbps in the near future either.

GazzA, what service is the 8Mbps you are recieveing? AFAIK, no Wirral exchanges have had their DSLAM's LLU'ed as yet, so I assume it must be via cable or maybe even leased line (highly doubtful though).

smile
omg What???

All those abbreviations,WTF is LLU,and DLSAM,and STB DOCSIS,and a load balancer,and donkey poo
Posted By: GazzA Re: Vote : Who still has 56k - 9th Jun 2006 2:19pm
Aol Platinum Beta is just testing at the moment.
2MB-8MB they quote depending on your area.

i get round the 3MB connection i think.. get around 340kb/s- 390kb/s.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Vote : Who still has 56k - 10th Jun 2006 2:06am
They will most probably be utitlzing Easynet (which is now onwed by Sky) as their bandwidth provider then, as they (asnd Tiscali unofficially) are the only company providing LLU services in the Wirral atm.

So from this, I would assume you are on the LVBIR exhange as the LVROC and LVCLA exchanges are not cucrently LLUed and I dont think you would be on the LVARR exchnage, although this depends highly on which part of prenton you are coming from. Having said that though, the thought of AOL usin Tiscali as a carrier for their services would be a bit weird anyway.

AFAIK, BT did the ADSL Max upgrade in late March/early April this year, I didnt think it would have been implemented just yet, especially with only Easynet currently providing LLU services on that exchange, but as you are on a trial, it seems to make sense.

Pity the speeds are so low to be honest, I would have expected them to be a bit higher at least.

Have AOL reduced the price for you?

smile
Posted By: Pomp Re: Vote : Who still has 56k - 21st May 2007 6:52pm
Woot my cousin jst dialed up 2 56k lol thats only because no one at his house is using the net and he has broadband at his uni flat so he's signed it up at his house wen he goes bk at the weekends.

Not sure how long i have had broadband for but its more then 3 years. could be 4 years, way too long to remember.

Need an option that says "Not Sure"
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Vote : Who still has 56k - 23rd May 2007 9:22am
talk about diggin up old threads lol.

I have a website that has several thousand unique users per week,

4.72% use dialup
4.6% Use OC3
0.08% use ISDN

There is still some real old technology being used out there
Posted By: Mark Re: Vote : Who still has 56k - 23rd May 2007 9:24am
Farmers eh !
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Vote : Who still has 56k - 24th May 2007 7:23am
Originally Posted by scoop2004
Originally posted by MattyC:

smile
omg What???

All those abbreviations,WTF is LLU,and DLSAM,and STB DOCSIS,and a load balancer,and donkey poo

i can just imagine matty in sayers
' hello love can i have a cp a sr and a rd, and and a bottle of dr-p please'

woman behind counter reaches for shot gun !
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Vote : Who still has 56k - 24th May 2007 7:32am
raftl raftl raftl
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Vote : Who still has 56k - 24th May 2007 9:40am
Originally Posted by AX_125
talk about diggin up old threads lol.

I have a website that has several thousand unique users per week,

4.72% use dialup
4.6% Use OC3
0.08% use ISDN

There is still some real old technology being used out there

You do realise that whilst OC3 is old (when put into context all current internet technologies are old, hence they are being used) its extremely fast.

If I had an OC3 id be buzzing. 4.6% - either most of that traffic is coming off corporate networks, or it's giving false readings lol.

Its T1 (aka DS1 in Europe) that is old and crappy (its essentially the very same technology as ISDN as its multiple bonded digital lines).

wink
© Wirral-Wikiwirral