Forums
Posted By: MattLFC BBC To Trial 8pm News Summary - 9th May 2007 10:58pm
Originally Posted by Digital Spy
The BBC is to pilot an 8pm weekday news summary on BBC One from tomorrow.

Running for five weeks in the Birmingham area, three versions will be tested - a 60-second summary with national news, a longer 90-second version with national and regional news and weather, and a 60-second regional only version.

The corporation hopes it will provide an extra opportunity for viewers to catch up on the news at a time convenient for them.

The network element will be presented by BBC news presenter Natasha Kaplinsky and the regional section by BBC Midlands Today presenter Suzanne Virdee.

The service will be evaluated at the end of the trial period. The BBC says the aim is "for the summary to be an extension to the news portfolio adding value to and widening the BBC's services and the number of people reached by them."

I will possibly find it handy when Eastenders is on, it just depends if the Sky+ EPG sees them as part of the 8pm program or whether they have a seperate slot (which I suspect they will), in which case the Sky+ may miss it. It it catches it though it will be good to see a summary of the days events.

Would you welcome an 8pm news summary? Its similar to what they already run on BBC Three and I think Channel 5 run hourly new summarys (they used to as part of their license terms, dunno if they still do though aint watched Channel 5 for years).

Digital Spy Report
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BBC To Trial 8pm News Summary - 9th May 2007 11:07pm
I think Channel 5 still do hourly ones throughout the evening.

I do prefer news summaries every so often. Only thing thats a bit annoying is when your are watching the channel for like 2 hours in a row, or you just happen to tune in in time for it and you keep seeing/hearing the same headlines all night.

BBC 3 are good, I like the 60 second idea, its quick and informative.

My favourite though is the entertainment news update on ITV2, its on for about 30 seconds and they just dont give a crap what they say and often say "ohhh who cares!" halfway through reading a story lol
Posted By: Mark Re: BBC To Trial 8pm News Summary - 9th May 2007 11:08pm
I like the idea wink
© Wirral-Wikiwirral