Forums
Posted By: MattLFC BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 18th Apr 2007 4:53pm
Originally Posted by BBC News
The BBC is to open up its vast archive of video and audio in an on-demand trial involving more than 20,000 people in the UK.

Full-length programmes, as well as scripts and notes, will be available for download from the BBC's website.

The pilot is part of the BBC's plans to eventually offer more than a million hours of TV and radio from its archive.

The BBC's Future Media boss Ashley Highfield made the announcement at an industry conference in Cannes.

I have been eagerly waiting for the launch of the BBC Archive since they first announced details regarding it back in 2004.

I have signed up already. You can sign up to register your interest in taking part in the trial here.

BBC News Report
Posted By: Mark Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 18th Apr 2007 5:14pm
signed up smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 25th May 2007 6:56pm
Got an email from them today, I have been accepted for the trial, they will be sending me the details in the next couple of weeks!

smile
Posted By: Mark Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 25th May 2007 7:05pm
ha ha just checked my e-mail

me too thumbsup
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 21st Jun 2007 2:43pm
I just got me login details, using the service now, it looks great, they currently have 257 television programmes online and 115 radio programmes.

They are sorted into decades and categories:

by decade
1930s (3)
1940s (11)
1950s (30)
1960s (89)
1970s (71)
1980s (98)
1990s (54)
2000s (16)

by category
Children's (21)
Comedy (26)
Drama (54)
Factual (234)
Light Ent (30)
Music (23)
News (32)
Sport (4)

Gonna play something and see how it works now!

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 21st Jun 2007 2:49pm
Well I am watching "999 Special: Diana's Legacy" which is from 1998.

The stream is only 225Kbps, but is extremly good nevertheless, the compression is excellent. There is no buffering whatsoever and had no problems using it, it just loaded up straight away.

Jumping/forwarding the stream also causes no problems and buffers in ~1 second.

So far, im pretty impressed.

The trial is just a taster too, there will be huge amounts more content when its actually launched!

Well done the BBC thumbsup
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 21st Jun 2007 4:34pm
wish I signed up for this now frown

whats available from the 90's? Any amazing classic TV?
Posted By: jonah Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 21st Jun 2007 5:19pm
might just have to give this a try..
Posted By: Mark Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 21st Jun 2007 5:21pm
Ive been watching Quatermass: The Quatermass Experiment: Contact Has Been Established

Its in a little meadia player window.
And when they say Archive they mean Bloody old stuff. frown
Posted By: Mark Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 21st Jun 2007 5:24pm
Originally Posted by BMW Joe
wish I signed up for this now frown

whats available from the 90's? Any amazing classic TV?

Tomorrow's World: 23 Jun 1995

Go behind the scenes as Space Shuttle Atlantis prepares to launch
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 21st Jun 2007 5:24pm
A LOT of the newer stuff isnt yet allowed on there without approval from the BBC Trust, also its only a "taster" of whats to come, a snapshot it what content will be available, hence its only in trial stages atm.

When it is finally launched to the public, it will be musch better and the content library will continue to grow for as long as the service is running for.

You can full screen the "little window" you know, its using the WMP applet, so just double click on the video.

wink
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 21st Jun 2007 5:36pm
I used to love tomorrows world...loads of episodes from that?

wish they never got rid of that show frown better than the modern day shows like crappy "the gadget show"
Posted By: Mark Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 21st Jun 2007 5:53pm
dum dee dum dee dumm dum de de dum lol

Tomorrows world theme tune wink
Posted By: Wheels Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 21st Jun 2007 8:16pm
i want to watch frown

how can i?.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 21st Jun 2007 8:40pm
Too late now frown

The registration for the trial is over.

We'll all have to wait until it's full released, probably within the next few months?
Posted By: Wheels Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 21st Jun 2007 8:58pm
poo.

oh well ill stick to watching films ect an stage6 smile

anyone else use it?
Posted By: Mark Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 21st Jun 2007 9:19pm
Originally Posted by whelan
films ect an stage6 smile

anyone else use it?

tell more ?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 21st Jun 2007 10:34pm
He "might" mean the Stage6 Divx player thingy, found at http://stage6.divx.com/, its the official streaming thing from the guys who make the DivX codec.

Am I right Whelan fella? smile
Posted By: Wheels Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 22nd Jun 2007 8:35am
as usual yes you are right tease

i also use http://joox.net/

its pretty good.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 22nd Jun 2007 12:42pm
Looks good that fella, love the way it will still play movies that are recently deleted on Stage6.

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 7th Jul 2007 5:54pm
Just watching the 1000th episode of Tomorrows World, its very interesting, they are taking a look back at inventions which have been featured in the past.

Love the bit about CD's, "whether theres a market for this kind of disc, remains to be seen"

:rofl:

I wonder if anyone still has a 1000th episode "hologram CD"???

They keep adding more and more content every week, I get a newsletter telling me whats new etc...

smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 7th Jul 2007 6:19pm
I remember that episode of tomorrows world, it was very interesting and strange, espcially that part about the "new technology" of CDs lol
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 7th Jul 2007 7:18pm
Just red something interesting about tomorrows world:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia Article
Virtually all the master video tapes of 1970s and early 1980s episodes containing the first showing in public of numerous new technologies were erased as part of a general BBC cost-cutting exercise, recycling video tape at a time when a half-hour spool cost hundreds of pounds. Fortunately, an enthusiastic viewer recorded many of the deleted episodes on an early and now long obsolete home video recorder (a Philips N1500) and kindly made his tapes available for copying during the early 1990s. As a result, the BBC archives do retain a record of the first time the British public encountered many new technologies and clips from the show occasionally appear in documentaries around the world.

Sounds pretty much like what happened to Doctor Who, there are a fair few early episodes of Doctor Who that are gone forever becuase of the BBC deleting the archive in the 80's.

Source: Wikipedia Article
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 28th Jul 2007 11:47pm
Hmmmm having problems accessing the Archive tonight - it seems they have deleted the login page as I am getting the BBC's 404 error.

Gutted. Hoepfully they will fix it asap.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 29th Jul 2007 12:53am
well for radio, has that not been available for almost forever? wouldnt know about video tho... i have a number of old radio shows saved from the website on my hdd (eddie haliwell mostly)
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 29th Jul 2007 12:57am
Hehe its eventually going to house almost all BBC produced radio and television broadcasts available, so it hasnt really been available forever.

There has also never been archive television broadcasts available via the internet before.

Still cant login though. The page is still missing lol. Maybe they archived it haha!

smile
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 29th Jul 2007 1:25am
i meant available forever as in the radio, not video tease - i know there's only a seect amount of video on there, majority news/sports tho. soo the new plans are for soaps, documentaries, films etc shown on the channels?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 29th Jul 2007 1:30am
The BBC has been going a lot longer then the internet radio broadcasts wink

Ie. There are radio broadcasts in the archive dating back to the 1920's, which wont have been on the website previously.

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 5th Nov 2007 6:55pm
Just got this:
Originally Posted by BBC Email
As you all know, the BBC archive trial was created to run for a limited period. We're now able to confirm that the trial will end on 10 December. This leaves you just over a month to watch all those programmes that you've saved to 'My Page'. After that date, you won't be able to watch or listen to these gems any more.

If you've not been back to the site for a while, you may have missed out on hundreds of programmes we've added to the trial since you last visited. We also have interviews and recommendations from people like David Attenborough, Lenny Henry and Esther Rantzen, past archive trial newsletters, the chance for you to rate and review programmes - and more.

Even more gayness:
Originally Posted by BBC Email
As we're still compiling the results from the trial, we're not able to comment on what happens after the trial closes, though we may be in touch at a later date with additional surveys, to give you a chance to shape a future BBC archive service. In the meantime, we'd like to thank all of you for the feedback you've sent us and the reviews you've been posting, and we hope you've enjoyed this chance to delve into the archives as much as we have.

Am actually gutted, cos although I didnt use it much, on the odd occasion I did make use of it, it worked extremely well. Its just a shame there was quite enough content put up during the trial, a fullsize library with mass public reach would be an awsome service imho.

I hope they dont just bin the idea... one of the caualties of the Ofcom forced BBC Internet Services spending cutbacks mayvbe?

frown
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 7th Dec 2007 2:13pm
Just a reminder, the BBC Archive Trial ends on Monday, and may not return. So its your last chance to watch anything on there. If you subscribed to it that is.

There was one programme that caught my eye on there last month, might go back on and see if I can find it...
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: BBC Archive Trial To Launch Soon! - 7th Dec 2007 4:14pm
hmmm..il be having a look at that...ta
© Wirral-Wikiwirral