Forums
Posted By: derekdwc Local Paintings in Williamson Art Gallery - 5th Jan 2012 4:42pm
A good site to look at some of them.Do a search of area you are after
Not sure if I can post any.
My fav is this one showing how far the water was from the Royal Castle Hotel.Imay have some queries about some of them

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaint...&selected_facet=paintings&page=2

Attached picture The Old Castle Hotel, New Chester Road, Birkenhead, Wirral.jpg

Description: Happy Valley is the title - but is it our Happy Valley
Attached picture happy valley .jpg
Thanks for the link , I've just spent the best part of an hour looking at paintings of Wallasey by Harold Hopps.
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: Local Paintings in Williamson Art Gallery - 5th Jan 2012 10:38pm
Me and ste visited the gallery yesterday

we haven't been there before,was impressed but the cars had been moved which was a shame but going to see them on sunday at the transport museum in woodside.

Brill pics dude thumbsup
Posted By: Tombraider Re: Local Paintings in Williamson Art Gallery - 5th Jan 2012 10:39pm
brill paintings, love art.
also loved the big fireplaces that were on display DD took me last year for a look around x
That's a great link Derek , thanks for that , can't wait till it's complete (e.g. Lady Lever ).

The Williamson has some great pictures that it isn't displaying. Whilst this is always going to be a difficult choice due to space constraints and of course art being a subjective subject I can't help thinking I would like to see more paintings of local scenes than it currently displays. The gallery has a large room dedicated to prints of ancient Liverpool. Whilst interesting I would much prefer to see paintings depicting old Wirral.
Posted By: bri445 Re: Local Paintings in Williamson Art Gallery - 7th Jan 2012 11:56am
Excellent find!
I like the view from Woodside Slip, page 1, pre Graysons and Lairds. Someone on this site was wishing for old photos of 'wayback' so these are the answer, and in colour.
Posted By: granny Re: Local Paintings in Williamson Art Gallery - 7th Jan 2012 5:14pm
If I remember correctly, David Hillhouse, some of whose work is shown on the link you posted derekdwc, designed one or more of the windows in the Priory.
He worked for the council but I don't know if he still does.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Local Paintings in Williamson Art Gallery - 7th Jan 2012 10:09pm
Originally Posted by granny
If I remember correctly, David Hillhouse, some of whose work is shown on the link you posted derekdwc, designed one or more of the windows in the Priory.

HMS Conway Windows, Birkenhead Priory:-

http://www.davidhillhouse.com/archive.html
Posted By: rocks Re: Local Paintings in Williamson Art Gallery - 8th Jan 2012 11:28am
great link derek we will defo be going for a look
Posted By: rocks Re: Local Paintings in Williamson Art Gallery - 12th Jan 2012 10:17am
going here today im really looking forward to it smile
Posted By: Tombraider Re: Local Paintings in Williamson Art Gallery - 12th Jan 2012 12:49pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
A good site to look at some of them.Do a search of area you are after
Not sure if I can post any.
My fav is this one showing how far the water was from the Royal Castle Hotel.Imay have some queries about some of them

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaint...&selected_facet=paintings&page=2
went there last year some magnificent paintings, i love art!
Posted By: rocks Re: Local Paintings in Williamson Art Gallery - 12th Jan 2012 3:04pm
well all the local ones i was looking forward to arnt there now most of the rooms were closed, im not happy frown and then we went to Birkenhead library and that was another disappointment, the civic centre is much better
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: Local Paintings in Williamson Art Gallery - 12th Jan 2012 3:21pm
Awwww rocks that's not good:( think the paintings change from week to week I've been told

Shame some rooms were closed

What's in the civic centre?

Sorry for Beeing off topic
Posted By: rocks Re: Local Paintings in Williamson Art Gallery - 12th Jan 2012 3:55pm
civic centre is a good reference library and they have a filing cabinate full of old photos of the wirral
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: Local Paintings in Williamson Art Gallery - 12th Jan 2012 3:59pm
Sounds fun

Thanks for that rocks thumbsup
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Local Paintings in Williamson Art Gallery - 4th Feb 2012 2:45pm
Is it in Bebbington Rox?
Originally Posted by rocks
civic centre is a good reference library and they have a filing cabinate full of old photos of the wirral
Posted By: Geekus Re: Local Paintings in Williamson Art Gallery - 5th Feb 2012 3:45pm
There are loads of local paintings by Harold Hopps in the book 'Hopps Around Wallasey' which came out in 2010.

I seem to think Hopps also played a significant part in the writing of Wallasey's official history ('The Rise & Progress of Wallasey') but he was too modest a man to allow his name to be added to the book's cover.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Local Paintings in Williamson Art Gallery - 27th Jul 2012 9:56am
There's one room with loads of paintings of old Liverpool by one artist (I believe there's also local ones by him stored away) but I've forgotten his name I vaguely think it ends in man - Can anyone tell me so I can look for them?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Local Paintings in Williamson Art Gallery - 27th Jul 2012 10:35am
William Charles Penn ?
You're probably thinking of William Gawin Herdman (d. 1882), who painted about 2000 watercolours of Liverpool in the mid-19th century, most of which are now held by Liverpool Record Office. He also painted a significant number of Wirral views, and many of these are at the Williamson, though they have nowhere near as many on display as they used to.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Local Paintings in Williamson Art Gallery - 30th Jul 2012 8:14am
Thanks marty99fred
Can't seem to find any of his local/Wirral paintings on the internet to look at.
Last time I went to the Williamson they only had Liverpool ones on display, I was told the local ones were stored away in the basement
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Local Paintings in Williamson Art Gallery - 30th Jul 2012 8:15am
Thanks marty99fred
Can't seem to find any of his local/Wirral paintings on the internet to look at.
Last time I went to the Williamson they only had Liverpool ones on display, I was told the local ones were stored away in the basement
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Local Paintings in Williamson Art Gallery - 30th Jul 2012 10:26am
I remember years ago when I first went to the Williamson that the room where the ship models are now was completely devoted to Local History views, with lots of old prints on the walls and many of Herdman's paintings of early Birkenhead, Tranmere and Bidston. Sadly, when the ship models and attendant paraphernalia were moved into that room some years ago most of the local views were taken down, never to be seen since...unless you make an appointment to view them.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral