Forums
Posted By: nightwalker Wallasey Village 1920s - 20th May 2011 7:02pm
It's sometimes tricky dating old photos, but these have the exact date they were taken recorded on the back. Part of a survey by Wallasey Borough Engineer and Surveyor's Department. The details on the reverse are shown in the captions.

Description: Clare Lodge - Claremount Road. 3.6.1925
Attached picture Clare Lodge.jpg

Description: Wallasey Village by Cheshire Cheese Inn. 1.12.1925
Attached picture Cheshire Cheese.jpg

Description: St. Hilary Brow. 1.12.1925
Attached picture St. Hilary Brow.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wallasey Village 1920s - 20th May 2011 7:26pm
Great photo's. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: buddy Re: Wallasey Village 1920s - 20th May 2011 7:33pm
withthat
Posted By: Stegga Re: Wallasey Village 1920s - 20th May 2011 7:53pm
It's amazing how the pictures are so familiar and yet so different from today. I've just had a wander around on google street view to the three places shown. What is it about black and white pictures that makes the image so much nicer to look at?
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Wallasey Village 1920s - 20th May 2011 8:17pm
I was thinking that too, esp. the pub itself, in the "Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese Inn" picture (when did they drop the 'Ye Olde" and the "Inn"?) OK all the other buildings are long gone!

Today, you can still see where the old sign was attached, there are definite changes to the Public Bar and its doorway (and I guess the public toilets that used to be there). And when did it lose the flagpole? I was born in '52 and I don't remember there was ever a flagpole on "the Cheese" (as we always knew it...)!

Still, it is quite amazing to see..!!!
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Wallasey Village 1920s - 20th May 2011 8:54pm
Brilliant pics.
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: Wallasey Village 1920s - 20th May 2011 9:22pm
Hello, What good pics .So much for all the modern day improvements it looked a lot better then than it does now.The pot holes in the roads arnt there for a start
Posted By: Tatey Re: Wallasey Village 1920s - 21st May 2011 7:05am
In the last picture of St. Hillary Brow, it looks like the last building on the left is the "Sebastopol Inn" which is now somewhere under the mini roundabout!
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Wallasey Village 1920s - 21st May 2011 8:21am
Originally Posted by Tatey
In the last picture of St. Hillary Brow, it looks like the last building on the left is the "Sebastopol Inn" which is now somewhere under the mini roundabout!

I think you're right, Tatey, though from this angle it doesn't look much like a pub.

Attached picture ST_HILARY_BROW.jpg
Posted By: Tatey Re: Wallasey Village 1920s - 22nd May 2011 5:08am

I think you're right, Tatey, though from this angle it doesn't look much like a pub.
[/quote]

Correct! But what a great picture. Shame that we can't borrow a "Tardis"
Posted By: Wal79 Re: Wallasey Village 1920s - 22nd May 2011 12:53pm
Originally Posted by nightwalker
It's sometimes tricky dating old photos, but these have the exact date they were taken recorded on the back. Part of a survey by Wallasey Borough Engineer and Surveyor's Department. The details on the reverse are shown in the captions.

Love the 3rd pic, I live on the left hand side of the road, the new builds. What was there before the dance school?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral