Forums
Posted By: BandyCoot Last Butcher - 7th Apr 2011 10:08am
Looks like the last butcher in the butchers' aisle in the Market has shut up shop. The old routine, use 'em or lose 'em. There's still a couple in the Country Produce section but I reckon it won't be long before we are all eating Tesco etc. They've shut so many shops down that you have to go to them if you want anything because there is nothing left round where you live.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Last Butcher - 7th Apr 2011 10:41am
yes not many left now bud. We use the one in liscard alot, yumyum always packed in there.
Posted By: woodley Re: Last Butcher - 7th Apr 2011 10:50am
You should pop over to Oz Bandy. More Vietnamese butchers than you can shake a stick at. Mind you - beautiful meat and MUCH better prices than the chain stores (we have no Tesco).
Posted By: 2005wireman Re: Last Butcher - 7th Apr 2011 1:26pm
Anyone remember Harrys on oxton road.it was a couple of doors up from the vale pub. Another Peace of History taken from Oxton road.

First Alex Greens,Then Brant Glass, And Good Old Harry the butcher.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Last Butcher - 7th Apr 2011 4:57pm
Try "Braveheart" in Wallasey Village.
Posted By: zippy49 Re: Last Butcher - 7th Apr 2011 10:28pm
maybe it is to make way for bingo that is going to start in market.in wirral globe about it this week.
Posted By: masterbun Re: Last Butcher - 8th Apr 2011 1:26am
Originally Posted by 2005wireman
Anyone remember Harrys on oxton road.it was a couple of doors up from the vale pub. Another Peace of History taken from Oxton road.

First Alex Greens,Then Brant Glass, And Good Old Harry the butcher.

Was this the one on left going into town, after the brewery ?
My mother used to use one around there in preference to the ones in Oxton or Wellington Rd which were nearer
Posted By: chriskay Re: Last Butcher - 8th Apr 2011 7:52am
There was one in Oxton Rd. on the opposite corner of Windsor St. from the Windsor Castle pub, called Hoyle's.
Posted By: masterbun Re: Last Butcher - 8th Apr 2011 10:23am
Yes Hoyles it was. Thanks for the memory !!
The tradesmen of way back must have been good for people to recall them today. Oxton Rd seems to have had a fair few.
Who will have good memories of a Tesco in where ever 50 years hence.

Now here's another - on the corner of Oxton Rd, Balls Rd & Ridley St was a grocer Brunnings or Vinnings or something like.
No I'm not having a quiz but these are places that were used because used have a choice of where to shop.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Last Butcher - 8th Apr 2011 11:56am
Originally Posted by masterbun
Who will have good memories of a Tesco in where ever 50 years hence.

I wonder what people will think when they get up to their Tesco breakfast, go out to their Tesco HP'd car, with Tesco Car insurance and Tesco petrol. Make phonecalls on their Tesco mobile and use Tesco internet. Switch their lights on using Tesco electricity and heating using Tesco gas. Pay their rent/mortgage to Tesco finance. Go to work at Tesco's and relax at the Tesco leisure centre. And the biggest pleasure in life - go shopping to Tesco.

Watch out - its creaping up on us???
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Last Butcher - 8th Apr 2011 1:03pm
Chuffed to death. Managed to get hold of some sweetbreads and lambs fries today. "Heaven, I'm in heaven......."
Posted By: isaacasimov Re: Last Butcher - 8th Apr 2011 2:34pm
I remember Harry very well we went to school together, Harry started work in the said butchers on saturdays, when he left school (temple rd) he started working full time for the then owner Tommy Griffiths. He was offered the shop not sure which year it was? We lost contact in the sixties Thats about all I can tell you I used to live in Clarendon St off Oxton Rd
Posted By: isaacasimov Re: Last Butcher - 8th Apr 2011 2:41pm
By the way does anybody remember Dashley's in Oxton Rd Best pork pies on the planet.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Last Butcher - 8th Apr 2011 3:09pm
yes remember it well, wife shopped there in the 60s when we lived on Borough Road and then Larch Road
Posted By: 2005wireman Re: Last Butcher - 8th Apr 2011 5:10pm
I Remeber deliving the morning and the evening papers to him.
And come christmas he used to take out a big roll of notes and give me a couple as a christmas tip.
Posted By: 2005wireman Re: Last Butcher - 8th Apr 2011 5:13pm
I live in ridley street for 41 years before i done a bunk and move to warrington.Am Now 43
Posted By: 2005wireman Re: Last Butcher - 8th Apr 2011 5:16pm
Am 43 and used to live in ridley street,
All I Can remeber on the courner of ridley street /oxton was a dry cleaner there was a newsagent oppise The old bike shop called heycrofts.
Posted By: Jolly Re: Last Butcher - 11th Apr 2011 2:59am
Hi Jimbob and Issacasimov, Dashleys was "The best Butcher" and there pork pies were to die for. I haven't had a decent pork pie for about 42 years. Hey Jinbob what number Larch Rd did you live at.

mindplayer(posing as Jolly, cant remember my password.)
Posted By: Erainn Re: Last Butcher - 29th Jul 2011 10:38pm
Spot-on with Dashley's pies, talk about juice smile
Posted By: atw1960 Re: Last Butcher - 3rd Aug 2011 9:26pm
What about Hinton's in Grange Road West? When I moved in to my own place , like a lot of blokes I was clueless about how to cook for myself-got a lot of help from the girls in there , bless 'em !
Posted By: atw1960 Re: Last Butcher - 3rd Aug 2011 9:30pm
Just a thought - went to Cheshire Oaks today and felt a wee bit peckish so decided to buy a pasty from the van there. £3.45 for one pasty-yes that's right-£3.45.B----r me!Needless to say I went to the Port and settled for a Greggs.Mmmmm Greggs!
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Last Butcher - 3rd Aug 2011 9:40pm
couple in the port, best place for meat is cost co though smile
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Last Butcher - 3rd Aug 2011 9:52pm
There's a butchers in Upton Village still trading well enough Bandy smile
Posted By: Erainn Re: Last Butcher - 19th Aug 2011 11:09pm
Ah Hintons! My mother's fav butcher, paying a little each week for the Yuletide Capon and pork joint..nice sweetbread too smile
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: Last Butcher - 20th Aug 2011 5:55am
Does anyone here remember Reg Greenlees near Bebington Station?

Posted By: nuddy Re: Last Butcher - 20th Aug 2011 6:56pm
What about Jackie Page on Conway St. I remember the floor always had saw dust on it.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: Last Butcher - 20th Aug 2011 7:45pm
There's a good Butchers at the top of Seaview Road in Wallasey. Guest and Sons I think it's called. Also one on Seabank Road. Not sure of the name but run by a friendly guy.

There are also 4 Butchers in New Ferry! Amazing given how rundown the place has become.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Last Butcher - 20th Aug 2011 7:47pm
Steve Lewis on Seabank Rd.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral