Forums
Posted By: derekdwc Rose Brae - Church Street field - 30th Mar 2011 10:34pm
I think Rose Brae and Church St must have been amongst some of the earliest streets in Birkenhead.Rose Brae has disappeared now
I am interested in the vacant land just before you get to the Swinging arms and was wondering why such a prime piece of waterfront land had not been developed - possibly something to do with the infill of the dry docks.
In 1857 post office cheshire there was
Adelphi Hotel 1 rose brae
Ferry Inn 6 rose brae

Attached picture rose brae2.jpg
Attached picture rose brae old2 .jpg
Attached picture rose brae old 1970.jpg
Attached picture rose brae old .jpg
Attached picture rose brae.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Rose Brae - Church Street field - 30th Mar 2011 11:33pm
Is this the road that's blocked off, nearly opposite Galagher's that all the office workers park in during the day?
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Rose Brae - Church Street field - 30th Mar 2011 11:39pm
Originally Posted by CrocodileDundee
Is this the road that's blocked off, nearly opposite Galagher's that all the office workers park in during the day?
yes it is mate!

pic d.d.posted way back

Description: think its the same place
Attached picture wtf.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: Rose Brae - Church Street field - 31st Mar 2011 8:26am
Originally Posted by CrocodileDundee

That's Church St. Rose Brae was parallel to it, 50 yards nearer the river.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Rose Brae - Church Street field - 31st Mar 2011 10:07am
Interesting to see, from the 1970's aerial photo that Grayson Rollo & Clover extended a couple of their docks through where Rose Brae was. This happened after 1967, since the tip of the Northernmost dock is where the turntable for Woodside station was.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Rose Brae - Church Street field - 31st Mar 2011 11:16am
Both no1 and no5 docks were extended in at least two stages.

No1 was initially extended to Rose Brae then at a later date extended to Church St

I thought I posted a thread about this but can't find it and can't find my notes either - doh - senility creeping in.

If anyone's interested and has the time the following search terms help

"Birkenhead Iron Works"
Grayson's graving dock
Clover grayson docks
Cammel Laird docks
etc
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Rose Brae - Church Street field - 31st Mar 2011 11:55am
Work on rebuilding and extending Grayson's No 1 Dock (the one nearest Woodside Station) actually began in February 1958, and lasted I believe until 1961. I have a photo somewhere of the first ship enering the rebuilt dock which I'll try and dig out. It was during this reconstruction work that the bridge carrying Rose Brae over the railway lines was permanently removed, in September 1959.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Rose Brae - Church Street field - 31st Mar 2011 1:29pm
Still asking does anyone know is there any reason the land hasn't been built on?
Ground not stable? water encroaching from Mersey?
or no interest by anybody.
Who owns it now?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Rose Brae - Church Street field - 31st Mar 2011 2:26pm
My guess would be, unstable ground. They probably didn't take much care when infilling the old docks. If you compare this modern view with the 1912 map, the area to the South, marked "slip" has been built on, but not the bit where the docks were. The dividing line is opposite Water St.
As to who owns it. I'd be surprised if it wasn't Peel Holdings.
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=swyz6bgrg8ky&lvl=17&dir=0&sty=b&FORM=LMLTCC

Attached picture Clover's.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Rose Brae - Church Street field - 1st Apr 2011 12:48pm
Think it would make a nice little camping site for visitors to Birkenhead.
What more could you want - nearby pubs, cafes, police station,
handy for town,trains and buses in easy reach and a great view over the Mersy.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral