Forums
Posted By: cameraman Fieldside Road, Woodfin coal merchants, 1946 - 30th Mar 2011 8:21am
A photograph of Charlie Woodfin's coal lorry winter 1946
taken outside 16 Fieldside road, Rock Ferry. Charlie can be seen on the back of the lorry and the woman on the left of the picture is Elizabeth ( Betty ) Woodfin, his son Billy's wife.
[Linked Image]
Charlie and his brother George had been coal merchants since the early 1900's in the Rock Ferry area.Before the War, they owned stables at the bottom of Union Street that housed the shire horses that pulled the coal, Bookers cash and carry now stands on the land. When Charlie died, William Henry Woodfin ( known locally as Billy Woodfin ) carried on the business until into his 70's. The coal business ended when Billy died in the early 80's
I think I know your mum she told me that your family had always owned a house in fieldside road.
Posted By: cameraman Re: Fieldside Road, Woodfin coal merchants, 1946 - 30th Mar 2011 11:57am
Mum still lives in Fieldside, she was married to Reg Woodfin who was one of Billy's sons. Myself and my brother still live in the area as well.This photo was taken in the early 50's. Billy is standing next to his youngest son Dennis who was born at the end of WW2, not sure who the other person is[Linked Image] I used to go round with my Grandad during the summer holidays in the early 70's when he delivered coal around the Rock Ferry and Lower Tranmere streets. We used to load up in the coal yards at Green lane. This eventually moved to the North End of Birkenhead. Billy Woodfin was a very familiar site in the area
Posted By: cameraman Re: Fieldside Road, Woodfin coal merchants, 1946 - 30th Mar 2011 12:09pm
Sorry summer01, not got any of Rock Lane West. Fieldside is off Bedford Avenue by the Rockville public house
Posted By: delta6 Re: Fieldside Road, Woodfin coal merchants, 1946 - 30th Mar 2011 12:18pm
my brother lives in fieldside road
Posted By: starakita Re: Fieldside Road, Woodfin coal merchants, 1946 - 30th Mar 2011 12:20pm
IT is your mum I know, we used to walk round the park with our dogs. I know shes still got hers I still see her now & again
Posted By: cameraman Re: Fieldside Road, Woodfin coal merchants, 1946 - 30th Mar 2011 12:26pm
Found a shot of Charlie Woodfin with one of the horses at the Union Street stables. Shot was taken around the 1930's before they purchased their first truck.
[Linked Image]
Charlie and his son Billy were one of the last Coal merchants to use horses.
Posted By: cameraman Re: Fieldside Road, Woodfin coal merchants, 1946 - 30th Mar 2011 12:29pm
Small world Starakita, if the second part of your user name is your dog, then I think mum has mentioned you smile
Posted By: alan128 Re: Fieldside Road, Woodfin coal merchants, 1946 - 30th Mar 2011 1:20pm
Remember Dennis Woodfin Played cricket with him for Tranmere Victoria in the 1960s. Tranmere Victoria still play in Victoria Park
yes it is I miss our little chats & putting the world to rights
Dennis & Reg Woodfin, taken in the early 80's
[Linked Image]
Dennis lost his battle to cancer in 2003 and my Father Reg passed away in 2007. RIP
© Wirral-Wikiwirral