Forums
Does anyone remember the Apostle Ship of The Sea in Claughton Road, Birkenhead?
I went to many weddings, celebrations etc at this place when younger. I think the parties I went to were held in a hall behind this building but the Apostleship building itself used to have a bar, snooker tables etc and the Gingerbread Club also used this venue every Fri night there each week, late 70's early 80's?
I wonder what The Apostleship of the Sea is used for today?

In June 1941 Father Hugh McHugh was appointed the first full-time Port Chaplin in Birkenhead, and on 27th August 1942 the Apostleship of the Sea opened club premises at 113/119 Watson Street. The building had previously been used as an evangelical hall, a boot shop and a betting club.

The Apostleship had a canteen, a dance room, an oratory and an office. The size of the club was increased by leasing Nos 5 and 7 Kent Place, which adjoined 119 Watson Street. Thae additional space was used to provide a reading room and a games room.

After the war, the then Port Chaplain, Father Down, bought No 2 Park Road South and the old club in Watson Street was demolished.

The club remain in Park Road South until it closed in early 1982. The building was retained by the Diocese and was converted into the Curial Offices which are still there today.

Description: The Apostleship of the Sea in Watson Street
Attached picture apos1.jpg

Description: The former Apostleship of the Sea in Park Road South in 1989 after becoming the Curial Offices
Attached picture apos2.jpg
Thanks uptoncx
I didn't expect all that information but it was interesting.
I had an idea it was used for offices but wasn't exactly sure who used it and why.
Regards
© Wirral-Wikiwirral