Forums
Posted By: KevinFinity New Brighton pier in 1978. The sad ending. - 13th Sep 2009 5:13pm
I found these photos in my dads collection and thought they might be of interest to someone. They where took by my dad and show the very last part of the pier standing before it was completely demolished. You can see some of the handrail and the lampposts still on there. The slides they are scanned from are dated August 1978. I am not sure if this was atchelly when they where took.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Apologies for the poor quality of the last one.

PS: how the hell do you get the Wiki Wirral watermark on them?.
some fantastic pics there bud! thumbsup

as for the wiki marks mate a mod will stamp then for you bud! smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: New Brighton pier in 1978. The sad ending. - 13th Sep 2009 6:14pm
Great pics. Thanks for sharing.
I didn't realise it was stil there in 1978 omg Not that I'd remember - being 3 raftl
Posted By: kimpri Re: New Brighton pier in 1978. The sad ending. - 13th Sep 2009 7:04pm
cool pics you found there.anymore thumbsup
Where was it in relation to other landmarks?
Posted By: bert1 Re: New Brighton pier in 1978. The sad ending. - 13th Sep 2009 7:21pm
Map

Attached picture nbp.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: New Brighton pier in 1978. The sad ending. - 13th Sep 2009 7:34pm
New Brighton pier

Attached picture nbpre.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New Brighton pier in 1978. The sad ending. - 11th Feb 2010 1:45pm
I remember this still standing as a nipper, the entrance was right next to Cesars Pallace arcade.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New Brighton pier in 1978. The sad ending. - 11th Feb 2010 2:16pm
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great pictures. I remember going in the Golden Goose arcade and the cafe next door but I'm a bit too young to remember the pier still being there.
wow! great pics all!
Posted By: MrG65 Re: New Brighton pier in 1978. The sad ending. - 11th Feb 2010 9:28pm
Nice pictures.

I wonder what the bloke in the little rowing boat was up to - looking for a piece of pier to weigh in? smirk
Posted By: Tatey Re: New Brighton pier in 1978. The sad ending. - 12th Feb 2010 8:30am
We used to go dancing & drinking on the end of the pier every weekend. The bouncers were two rather fit draymen from "Birkenhead Brewery"
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: New Brighton pier in 1978. The sad ending. - 12th Feb 2010 8:36am
ahhh the golden goose! bring back our pier and arcades! arcades are crap these days, just full of crappy fruit machines!
whatever happened to galaxians or defender?

[youtube]uNStHXiHgqk[/youtube]
what did happen to the pier?! me being a young'un n all
Posted By: ahbaldy Re: New Brighton pier in 1978. The sad ending. - 12th Feb 2010 8:36pm
The pier went in to decay so was knocked down.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The heydays in 1910

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MrG65 Re: New Brighton pier in 1978. The sad ending. - 12th Feb 2010 10:38pm
Has that seagull in the top picture just fired a heat-seeking missile?
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: New Brighton pier in 1978. The sad ending. - 12th Feb 2010 11:00pm
Excellent pictures ahbaldy!. The second one must have been taken not that long before my dads ones at the start of the thread. Seeing colour pictures of it makes it seem a lot more real to those of us too young to remember it first hand.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New Brighton pier in 1978. The sad ending. - 15th Feb 2010 1:55pm
It was the Golden Goose, Cesars was by the little outdoor rollercoaster.
Posted By: kenja Re: New Brighton pier in 1978. The sad ending. - 7th Mar 2011 3:08pm
They said the pier was unsafe due to storm damage yet they had to detonate it TWICE with explosives to get it down. New Brighton baths gone, storm damage, funny old thing that storm damage.
Posted By: delta6 Re: New Brighton pier in 1978. The sad ending. - 7th Mar 2011 3:26pm
Originally Posted by kenja
They said the pier was unsafe due to storm damage yet they had to detonate it TWICE with explosives to get it down. New Brighton baths gone, storm damage, funny old thing that storm damage.

just like councillor arson.
they both seem appear when something with a heritage needs removing!!!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral