Forums
Posted By: Doctor_Frick WW2 Bombing Maps of Wirral - 22nd Mar 2009 4:53pm
Iv just finished uploading the maps of where bombs landed on Wirral during WW2 to my site. It doesnt cover all of Wirral at the minute but it should do eventually. Its quite interesting to see which buildings were damaged.

If you know of a bomb that landed that has been missed off the maps please drop me an e mail and i will add it. Just follow the link from the main page here to view the maps.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: WW2 Bombing Maps of Wirral - 22nd Mar 2009 8:26pm
Good stuff Fricky, quite a lot on there that I wasn't aware of.
Posted By: w10694 Re: WW2 Bombing Maps of Wirral - 22nd Mar 2009 9:19pm
I was given some old Luftwaffe target maps, which are worth a look:

Luftwaffe Target Maps
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: WW2 Bombing Maps of Wirral - 23rd Mar 2009 10:00am
Yep interesting stuff W10694. If they are the ones from the Archives then they will be going on my site in April with some others.
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: WW2 Bombing Maps of Wirral - 24th Mar 2009 10:53am
Bidston map 2.1, the two public houses that are there today, the left hand public house a whole row of 2 up 2 down houses were destroyed ( from where St James library was right up to the public house shown on the map) my grandparents lived at 368 laird street i think just a little towards st James church from where the bombing happened, I do have a photograph of the destruction which was taken at the time which was enlarged for a souvenier newspaper - it also makes it pretty easy to pinpoint the specific row of houses too. But I think the bomb damage may be just ever so slightly out of your map the houses up to the public house may have been pulled down because of this, will try and dig out the photograph.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: WW2 Bombing Maps of Wirral - 24th Mar 2009 11:20am
Also - Avenue Cinema was bombed as well as houses from end up to 35 Norman Street. My Nan and Grandad occupied 35 and their house was last in block that received damage, but they did not have to vacate.
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: WW2 Bombing Maps of Wirral - 24th Mar 2009 11:55am
Duley noted, thanks !
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: WW2 Bombing Maps of Wirral - 24th Mar 2009 5:48pm
Air raid shelter, Woodchuch Road School destroyed with occupants. This was located by the pavement.
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: WW2 Bombing Maps of Wirral - 24th Mar 2009 9:40pm
In front of the school then ???
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: WW2 Bombing Maps of Wirral - 24th Mar 2009 10:34pm
Yes, it was just about the middle of the front of the school, right against the railings of the pavement(but in the playground), eight people were killed. This in addition to the right hand side of the building getting hit (with no deaths). If you have Birkenhead at War, it is page 44.
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: WW2 Bombing Maps of Wirral - 25th Mar 2009 10:15am
Superb, i'll update the maps when i get some spare time
Posted By: nestonlad Re: WW2 Bombing Maps of Wirral - 25th Mar 2009 12:31pm
This topic reminds me of a story that my grandad told me.He lived in bull hill in little neston and a bomber jettisioned a bomb(probably left over from a raid on liverpool) which landed in the the stewarts garden across the road (now a small estate of posh houses)the blast blew all the windows and doors out of the houses on bull hill and he did the job of replacing them all (he was a joiner).Must have happened towards the end of the war because he was based in dar es salaam during the war.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral