Forums
Posted By: BMW Joe Fire Station, Exmouth Street - 21st Feb 2009 7:59pm
[Linked Image]
Posted By: L_JAI Re: Fire Station, Exmouth Street - 1st Mar 2009 7:30pm
anyone know what that big building in the bachground is ? it looks like a theatre or something ??
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Fire Station, Exmouth Street - 1st Mar 2009 7:31pm
Isn't that The Grand or something?
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Fire Station, Exmouth Street - 1st Mar 2009 8:07pm
in the top picture could be the carpet/furniture warehouse I think may have been a masonic hall once
or
295 B.ryan, Thoa. F., gardener
, United Methodist Church
Posted By: jimbob Re: Fire Station, Exmouth Street - 1st Mar 2009 8:29pm
That large impresive looking building was The Music Hall
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Fire Station, Exmouth Street - 1st Mar 2009 8:48pm

The building was the Claughton Music Hall, and it later became the Astor.

see here, here and here

Posted By: yoller Re: Fire Station, Exmouth Street - 1st Mar 2009 8:51pm
Wasn't the big building the old Astor picture house? The Music Hall pub was further up on the left, on the corner of Exmouth Street and Claughton Road, and wouldn't be visible in either picture.
Posted By: yoller Re: Fire Station, Exmouth Street - 1st Mar 2009 9:04pm
Sorry, my mistake, I didn't know the Astor had been called the Claughton Music Hall - is that where the pub got its name from?
Posted By: jimbob Re: Fire Station, Exmouth Street - 1st Mar 2009 9:41pm
Yes that where the pub got its name from
Posted By: kimpri Re: Fire Station, Exmouth Street - 1st Mar 2009 10:00pm
Fire fighters practice tower.
Posted By: DanLongman Re: Fire Station, Exmouth Street - 18th Mar 2009 2:11pm
The last chance dance
Posted By: Worzel Re: Fire Station, Exmouth Street - 16th May 2009 11:39am
There are plans to demolish this fire station and build a new one at another location.
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Fire Station, Exmouth Street - 17th May 2009 10:36am
Originally Posted by panther
There are plans to demolish this fire station and build a new one at another location.

good cause its an eyesore..
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: Fire Station, Exmouth Street - 19th May 2009 6:10pm
good. it was poorly located and was pretty much far away from the most of Birkenhead/ Wallasey
Posted By: firemanlee Re: Fire Station, Exmouth Street - 8th Sep 2009 8:50pm
Ive worked in this dump for the past 14 years and a new station is being built on the exisiting site in about 2 years . I havent looked but i assume there are pictures on here of the previous main birkenhead fire station that was on the junction of borough road and whetstone lane where the netto carpark is now .
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Fire Station, Exmouth Street - 8th Sep 2009 8:59pm
£1 to a pinch of $%*+ it will be on the river street developement along with new cop shop.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Fire Station, Exmouth Street - 8th Sep 2009 9:02pm
Originally Posted by firemanlee
Ive worked in this dump for the past 14 years and a new station is being built on the exisiting site in about 2 years . I havent looked but i assume there are pictures on here of the previous main birkenhead fire station that was on the junction of borough road and whetstone lane where the netto carpark is now .

loads mate, do a search and you will find them.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Fire Station, Exmouth Street - 8th Sep 2009 10:37pm
It was built to replace the old fire station in Whetstone Lane by Birkenhead Corporation for Birkenhead Fire Service then we had the 1974 garbage where they turned us into a Metropolitan County and the Merseyside Fire Service took over,I can remember the old Birkenhead buses being towed along the M62 going for scrapping in Sheffield and the New Birkenhead buses being used in Liverpool before they got painted that horrible green,I think Birkenhead got stuffed on that deal.
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Fire Station, Exmouth Street - 8th Sep 2009 10:49pm
Originally Posted by davew3
before they got painted that horrible green,I think Birkenhead got stuffed on that deal.

crosville green!
Posted By: phillhere Re: Fire Station, Exmouth Street - 9th Sep 2009 6:49am
wasnt Crosville green the dark green, and MPTE a lighter shade? possibly two different greens on the MPTE livery?..
I may be imagining this.....
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Fire Station, Exmouth Street - 9th Sep 2009 7:51am
You are quite right phill.. The MPTE used "Verona" green and cream. Often referred to as bile green and vomit ! (Just about right). "Proper" Crozza's had a much darker green with cream waistband, although the shade varied over the years.

By the way who owns Crosville this week ? Every time I come down to the Wirral, it seems to have changed !

The B'head Corpy blue/cream was about the best livery in the entire country. Up to de-regulation, probably the best maintained buses too !
Posted By: davew3 Re: Fire Station, Exmouth Street - 9th Sep 2009 11:25am
Sorry guys but it looks as if I have taken you off topic sorry,I was going to have a rant about what we had in the past and what we have now council wise but the nurse says I should calm down.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Fire Station, Exmouth Street - 9th Sep 2009 12:23pm
Guilty as charged. Sorry. I've had my pills now. Shouldn't happen again.
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Fire Station, Exmouth Street - 9th Sep 2009 2:09pm
[quote=Pinzgauer]By the way who owns Crosville this week ? quote]

first? isnt it?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Fire Station, Exmouth Street - 9th Sep 2009 3:03pm
Thanks Chris. We better start a new thread on "Buses" before we get shouted at again. Nurse is approaching with a bowl of soapy water, a length of rubber tube, a pump thingy .....oh Jeeeez !
Posted By: queensferry Re: Fire Station, Exmouth Street - 16th Apr 2010 8:18pm
i think it was the astor picture house.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral