Forums
Here are some images of the Four Bridges I took before and after they were drastically altered. The first bridge at the Birkenhead end became a concrete causeway and the second bridge was reduced to a fixed bridge. The 3rd bridge (a swing bridge) was also removed and the 4th bridge is the only working bridge now.

Looking from the Birkenhead end, this is the first bridge.

[Linked Image]

This bridge was removed completely

[Linked Image]

Another view from the pavement at the Birkenhead side.

[Linked Image]

--and after the bridge was removed.

[Linked Image]

This is the second bridge, with the 3rd and 4th in the background.

[Linked Image]

The second bridge was reduced to a fixed bridge. Notice the 3rd bridge is now removed.
[Linked Image]

This is the 4th bridge, with the 3rd bridge now removed.
[Linked Image]
good pics Northender.. i do remember the old bridges
Incredible pictures thanks for sharing, especially like to see the old cars in the shots
Wow, I remember them. Thanks for sharing.
Great blast from the past - I just remember them how they used to be smile
Wow - I thought I'd dreamed half of those bridges. I remember we used to go over a load of them when we went to Guinea Gap baths from school, to learn to swim.
Posted By: PhilH Re: The Four Bridges - Before and After Alteration - 12th Feb 2009 9:11pm
It was a lottery wether you got through them all on a push bike without falling off!

The railway lines took many a cyclist down when the front wheel dropped into one!
Yes, those railway lines were lethal. There used to be a 3 inch wide slot in the ground where the points were and of you got your front wheel in there, you were off !
Thanks for them Northender - good share!
Posted By: uggla Re: The Four Bridges - Before and After Alteration - 12th Feb 2009 10:21pm
brilliant i didnt even notice it changing.

If peel holdings start building around there it may change again lol
Posted By: dave_g Re: The Four Bridges - Before and After Alteration - 12th Feb 2009 10:24pm
its amazing what you forget about,good pics mate.
Posted By: Wheels Re: The Four Bridges - Before and After Alteration - 12th Feb 2009 10:26pm
Brilliant smile
Posted By: uggla Re: The Four Bridges - Before and After Alteration - 12th Feb 2009 10:31pm
The tower in the 6th picture was hit by a bomb in ww2.

you can see still where it was repaired
Originally Posted by uggla

Check this out uggla:
Inside the tower
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: The Four Bridges - Before and After Alteration - 12th Feb 2009 11:34pm
Originally Posted by MissGuided

Check this out uggla:
Inside the tower

Ahem!....

Click here for our OWN report wink
Sorry Ste - I did a search because I knew there was a report somewhere on here but when I did a search with the word 'hydraulic' i only found that thread.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Four Bridges - Before and After Alteration - 13th Feb 2009 12:09am
excellent pictures thanks for sharing. happy
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: The Four Bridges - Before and After Alteration - 13th Feb 2009 12:31am
[Linked Image]

We used to have ropeswings in those warehouses when we were younger, they were the days laugh

great pics happy
Posted By: peodude Re: The Four Bridges - Before and After Alteration - 13th Feb 2009 12:44am
One of the bridges was moved to the roll on roll off ferry there, and is still in use. I believe it was the first bridge in the photographs smile
Can`t be,the first bridge in the foto is Edgerton bridge which is a fixed bridge and none of the bridges was moved to the 12 quays as it is a pier.

Check this out uggla:
Inside the tower

Attached picture Birkenhead_Hydraulic_Tower_bombed.jpg
Posted By: uggla Re: The Four Bridges - Before and After Alteration - 13th Feb 2009 8:03am

Check this out uggla:
Inside the tower

wow i thought it would be empty and vandlised inside.

superb pictures
Posted By: uggla Re: The Four Bridges - Before and After Alteration - 13th Feb 2009 8:04am
Originally Posted by Dava2479

Check this out uggla:
Inside the tower

its funny i drive past it most days and it doesnt look that big.

it looks huge in that picture.
Imagine how much higher it would be if it still had that pinnacle on top of the tower?
You can clearly see the new brick work after it was repaired.
If you look at this image

http://les.shutterchance.com/photoblog/200353.htm

I am talking about the blue one, now situated at Twelve Quays. I'm sure I was told that this was one of the original "Four Bridges"
I posted this a while back but this is how she used to look happy

Attached picture Scan0002%20(Medium).JPG
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: The Four Bridges - Before and After Alteration - 14th Feb 2009 12:28am
Originally Posted by SoundLad
I posted this a while back but this is how she used to look happy

[Linked Image]

When you get to the roof of the tower, the four base stones from the pinnicle are still in place smile
Can`t be,the first bridge in the foto is Edgerton bridge which is a fixed bridge and none of the bridges was moved to the 12 quays as it is a pier.

I am not sure about any bridges being moved to the 12 Quays terminal but the Edgerton bridge is another bridge altogether, which is off Shore Road next to the 12 Quays College, (opposite where the trams cross the road from the museum.)
Posted By: jimbob Re: The Four Bridges - Before and After Alteration - 14th Feb 2009 11:27pm
The entrance from the river to Edgerton dock was bombed during the war. The entrance was then done away with and the bridge at Edgeton dock was never opened again and has remained as a fixed bridge ever since. COME ON LADS THE CARS IN THE PHOTO'S ARE NOT OLD. OLD CARS ARE THE ONES BUILT BEFORE THE 2nd WORLD WAR.
Nice pixs guy and lots of info!
Originally Posted by jimbob
COME ON LADS THE CARS IN THE PHOTO'S ARE NOT OLD. OLD CARS ARE THE ONES BUILT BEFORE THE 2nd WORLD WAR.

LOL, just what I was thinking.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Four Bridges - Before and After Alteration - 15th Feb 2009 10:20am
MMmmmm.... The "old cars" look like modern tinware to me!

Now when I was younger, they ........

Nurse NURSE! Uh oh... Too late.
Posted By: hoseman Re: The Four Bridges - Before and After Alteration - 15th Feb 2009 11:48am
Yes Pinz, we know...... When i was a lad....steam cars.....Mmmmm....Too modern!! wink
Posted By: jimbob Re: The Four Bridges - Before and After Alteration - 15th Feb 2009 10:01pm
no not steam cars, horse and cart more like it.
Now now; be kind to us old farts.
I reckon the cars are a Sherpa Van, an Allegro, a Truimph Dolomite and a Volvo of some sort. You can zoom in to the images if you have a newer version of Internet Explorer by holding down the CONTROL key and rolling your mouse wheel, (if you have one).
Posted By: hoseman Re: The Four Bridges - Before and After Alteration - 18th Feb 2009 12:02am
Or if you have a laptop use CONTROL key and PLUS (+) or MINUS (-) key to zoom in or out!
Yes, that one works with desktop PC's as well. I didn't know about that one.
Nor did I; very useful. Thanks Hoseman.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sonyj Re: The Four Bridges - Before and After Alteration - 13th Oct 2009 11:52pm
i did the roof on one of the bridges about 14 years ago ..i can remember the timber part at the top contained a lot of machinery didnt have camera phone in those days to take picys
© Wirral-Wikiwirral