Forums
Posted By: Morseman Lad who went missing - 25th Oct 2008 11:01pm
Does anyone remember the lad from Wallasey who went missing in the sixties? They found his bike in Rake Lane cemetery.

I know he went to school with one of my younger brothers but am not sure if they ever discovered what happened to him.

Assuming that they never found him, is the case still open? I think he lived somewhere near Mount road?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Lad who went missing - 26th Oct 2008 9:32am
What was his name?
Posted By: Morseman Re: Lad who went missing - 26th Oct 2008 10:17am
Hmmm! Was it David McCaig or something like that? Just googled and can't find anything. It was very big story at the time and I can't remember him ever turning up.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Lad who went missing - 26th Oct 2008 3:10pm
shame, sounds interesting.
It would be good if we had a headline to go on.
Could search the news archives then.
Posted By: Shambo Re: Lad who went missing - 26th Oct 2008 9:05pm
'tis a shame. The perpetrator of this disappearance could be reading this very thread...
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Lad who went missing - 27th Oct 2008 12:05am
And then there's this...no one ever caught. Wonder if they pulled down that pillbox?

Attached picture P261008_23.37.JPG
Posted By: Morseman Re: Lad who went missing - 27th Oct 2008 1:55pm
Got a little more information. It was David McCaig and he would have been 14 or so when he went missing in early 1970. The police reinvestigated his disappearance three years after he went in 1973 but nothing new was found. He has not been traced.

There was some speculation at the time that he could have ended up in an open grave at Rake lane but there was a lot of theories of what might have happened to the lad.

I just find it amazing that it is not mentioned in any books. Surely that one should have been in Murder, Mystery and Mayhem?
Posted By: carcol2006 Re: Lad who went missing - 8th Feb 2010 5:17pm
I was in school with David at Withensfield Middle school and I remember the police coming in to school to ask questions. It was about1969/70 and I seem to recall that he was in school in the morning went home for his dinner he lived in Dovedale Road and dissapeared on his way back to school thinking on it was 1969 as we were in the old manor road school. It is strange that it is not mentioned anywhere I do recall a tale that he was seen in London but it was never proven.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Lad who went missing - 8th Feb 2010 5:47pm
As kids, we used to play in that pillbox on the railway embankment. Immediate ban on going in there after the murder ! Seem to recall it was only a short time before it was demolished. The concrete base was still visible last time I went past.

Missed this thread the first time round.
Posted By: LATEBOY Re: Lad who went missing - 15th Oct 2010 10:50pm
I recall the police frogmen searching the pit on Lingham Lane in Moreton looking for David
Posted By: tigertiger1953 Re: Lad who went missing - 16th Oct 2010 5:26pm
I remember that two boys stated they found his bike in Rake Lane Cemetery. This led to the police digging up recent graves. The boys later changed their story and said they found the bike in Thirlmere Avenue (I think with his coat) but were scared to tell the police that account as they had ridden the bike before they dumped it in Rake Lane. They thought they would be done for stealing it. The siting in London came from a woman who was a 'trained observer' saying she saw a 'bedraggled boy' on the Liverpool London train who she thought was David. Nothing ever came of that lead.
Posted By: chris58 Re: Lad who went missing - 31st Oct 2010 4:49pm
I've never heard this story before. What a sad story.
Posted By: Waddi Re: Lad who went missing - 31st Oct 2010 5:59pm
Originally Posted by Snooze
And then there's this...no one ever caught. Wonder if they pulled down that pillbox?

The echo ran a story in August this year about the police re-opening the case after a woman claimed her grandfather was the murderer on an internet forum. link to story
Posted By: tigertiger1953 Re: Lad who went missing - 3rd Nov 2010 4:13pm
Blimey! Wonder where that will end up? There was a house nearbye which always had the curtains drawn and was in a bad state of repair. By the late eighties some locals were convinced taht waqs where he was but the house was bought some time maybe in the 90s and totally renovated with nothing untoward being discovered.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral