Forums
Posted By: Anonymous (Liscard) Seaview Rd - 17th Jun 2008 7:26pm
Seaview Road 1900

[Linked Image]

This is Seaview Road at the turn of the 20th Century. The tram lines run to the Tram Sheds where ASDA now stands today. Trams served Wallasey until 1933. To the bottom right corner is Gibson's Stables. It was establied in 1860 and supplied Wallasey with hired carriages and horses. Later the stables were demolished and a cinema built in its place in 1926. The site is now The Capitol.

The small child at the bottom left stands where The Wellington Hotel is today (renamed "Duke"s this week)[more info on The Wellington Hotel at a later date]

Anyone for tripe??

Seaview Road (June 2008)

[Linked Image]

The buildings are the same though of course none of the businesses survived.
Posted By: Waddi Re: (Liscard) Seaview Rd - 17th Jun 2008 7:34pm
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
The buildings are the same though of course none of the businesses survived.

What ashame, was about to rush out to get myself some Tripe. good picture comparison and nice bit of historical info there aswell, thanks.
Posted By: Sir_longmong Re: (Liscard) Seaview Rd - 17th Jun 2008 8:48pm
would like to see pics down the sidestreets too just out of curiosity.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: (Liscard) Seaview Rd - 17th Jun 2008 9:37pm
Originally Posted by renault_longmong
would like to see pics down the sidestreets too just out of curiosity.

Whenever I see old pics of Wallasey I am always wanting to know what was going on down the side streets or behind a fence or a wall!!

I am currently photographing Wallasey at the moment. I've done New Brighton and parts of Seacombe. All to put onto a website thats under construction.
Posted By: Sir_longmong Re: (Liscard) Seaview Rd - 17th Jun 2008 9:42pm
i live down there, would be good to see what the road looked likebecause i know the houses there are definately not 108 years old!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: (Liscard) Seaview Rd - 17th Jun 2008 10:11pm
i live down there, would be good to see what the road looked likebecause i know the houses there are definately not 108 years old!

ye me too think withthat
Posted By: Colgo Re: (Liscard) Seaview Rd - 17th Jun 2008 10:13pm
Great stuff.
What a name for a shop "The Noted Tripe Stores"
Keep up the good work, very interesting smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: (Liscard) Seaview Rd - 18th Jun 2008 11:48am

Not all the side streets existed at the turn of the 20th Century. The majority of houses in Wallasey were built after the First World War when more and more people from Liverpool and the surrounding areas decided to settle here (especially with the popular New Brighton attractions).

A map of 1898 showing Seaview Road

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sir_longmong Re: (Liscard) Seaview Rd - 18th Jun 2008 5:54pm
not on the map but with the building layout they appear to be there!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: (Liscard) Seaview Rd - 19th Jun 2008 11:23am
not on the map but with the building layout they appear to be there!

The avenues at the bottom end of Seaview Road (was origianlly called Marseden Lane) at the Liscard end are certainly not on the map. They are Silverlea Av, Fairview Av, Seaview Av and Longview Av.

In fact Longview Av and Fairview Av take their names from large houses in the arae.
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: (Liscard) Seaview Rd - 19th Jun 2008 12:57pm
http://www.old-maps.co.uk

There's some maps on there that are pretty useful for determining the range at least of when certain houses and streets were built.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral