Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Liscard - 6th Jun 2008 1:50pm
2 pictures of Wallasey Road in Liscard. Both views look towards The Boot Inn. (Currently 'The Turnbury and currently closed and up for let).

In the 1962 picture note 'Central Motors' to the right which became Netto's and now is a Wetherspoons pub 'The Clairville'.

Much of Liscard was renovated or demolished in the late 60's / early 70's to make way for wider roads and a new wider town centre.

Attached picture LISCARD1962.jpg
Attached picture liscard04.jpg
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: Liscard - 6th Jun 2008 1:53pm
I see that the KFC building and the black an white one (Left corner) are the only two to still be standing.
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Liscard - 6th Jun 2008 2:37pm
I didnt even know there was a KFc in Liscard sorry
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Liscard - 6th Jun 2008 4:05pm
Originally Posted by Mi_Craig
I didnt even know there was a KFc in Liscard sorry

Recently just opened, as with a Subway.

Whereas Liscard, recently, was a place just for 2nd hand shops, its now turning into a fast food place!

So, you can eat from a bucket in one hand whilst picking up a bargain in the other!
Posted By: Morseman Re: Liscard - 22nd Oct 2008 6:44pm
In the older photo you can just see a pub light/sign? I can vaguely remember a little pub there and I think it was nicknamed the Garden? Can anyone say what its real name was?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Liscard - 22nd Oct 2008 7:19pm
'The Castle Hotel'
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Liscard - 22nd Oct 2008 7:25pm
actually...pop along and see my "Liscard" page

Posted By: Riki_Wirral Re: Liscard - 22nd Oct 2008 7:31pm
great comparison
Posted By: Morseman Re: Liscard - 22nd Oct 2008 8:49pm
Originally Posted by PaulWirral

http://www....co.uk/wallasey/liscard/index.html

Fantastic that Paul. I had forgotten all about Pickfords as well. They had little models of their vehicles in the window and some models of horse drawn Pickfords wagons from days gone by if I remember correctly?

Pity you haven't got any of the old swings behind the gas showrooms although I suspect the photo with all the cars parked on it might be that location?

Am uploading one that you may have but perhaps others might not have seen it.

Attached picture Marymount Convent.jpg
Posted By: Morseman Re: Liscard - 22nd Oct 2008 10:15pm
Oops not Pickfords, but Pritchards sorry.
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Liscard - 23rd Oct 2008 9:13pm
Anyone know what the name of the pub between the old post office and the chippy (formerly the chemist) on the corner of Liscard Village and Manor Road?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Liscard - 23rd Oct 2008 10:22pm
Originally Posted by BigBadStuey
Anyone know what the name of the pub between the old post office and the chippy (formerly the chemist) on the corner of Liscard Village and Manor Road?

I am not 100% sure there was a pub between the Old Post Office (built in 1913) and the Chippy (was formerly Griffith's The Chemist). There is not enough room for a building in such a small triangular area. There is however another pub further up Liscard Village (Rake Lane) called the "Queen's Arms Hotel". Also opposite the Post Office is the "Royal Oak" pub.
Posted By: Morseman Re: Liscard - 23rd Oct 2008 10:59pm
I concur withthat
Posted By: MissCalculated Re: Liscard - 23rd Oct 2008 11:37pm

http://www....co.uk/wallasey/liscard/index.html

Just spent an hour looking at your page. Fascinating, its such a shame that some of the buildings have gone now
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Liscard - 24th Oct 2008 12:33pm
Originally Posted by BigBadStuey

I am not 100% sure there was a pub between the Old Post Office (built in 1913) and the Chippy (was formerly Griffith's The Chemist). There is not enough room for a building in such a small triangular area. There is however another pub further up Liscard Village (Rake Lane) called the "Queen's Arms Hotel". Also opposite the Post Office is the "Royal Oak" pub.

Ahh right, it was that I was talking to a couple of the people I work with and they were saying that they remembered one being there, I'm only 25 so I just remember the gap always being there where the advertising hoarding is. They also mentioned though up on Urmson Rd that where there's a garage (not the Vauxhall Network Q place but a little further up) they remembered there being a sweet shop there, you'd go down a couple of steps and be plunged into darkness, this would have been late 40's/early 50's.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Liscard - 24th Oct 2008 4:09pm
I think your friends may be correct. I revisted the "site" and its amazing how you look at things differently when you take more notice. Here are some pics I took. As you can see there is certainly enough space for a large building.

Liscard Village / Rake Lane Views
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Manor Road View

[Linked Image]

I am certainly going to look into it.
Posted By: Morseman Re: Liscard - 24th Oct 2008 6:49pm
You've got me thinking now but I can't remember there being a pub there. When I was a school kid the school dentist (butcher would be more appropriate) was directly across the road from that space.

Having said that, I was either too terrified going in or too traumatised coming out to notice much.

Time to phone a friend providing I can think of one old enough who is still alive. think
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Liscard - 25th Oct 2008 3:20pm
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hmm, comparing these two maps it'd seem like there was originally a gap there anyway before the Post office of all things filled the hole. I'll have to try and track a later map, from the 40's/50's if possible.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Liscard - 25th Oct 2008 7:43pm
This is a map from 1898. Of course its more important that we find a map from the 1950s.

Am I correct that your 2 maps are 1913 and 1938?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Liscard - 26th Oct 2008 4:02pm
Yes that's correct. I found a Tithe Map from the 1840's but while the decade's right, it's certainly not the correct century smile It's hard to find it anyway as, by the looks of it, 99% of today's roads didn't exist!

http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithema...2440&scale=5&tabL=L1&tabR=R1
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Liscard - 26th Oct 2008 6:34pm
I have the 1898 map that has already been posted and which shows an open space in the area concerned - much as exists today.

I also have the map from The Rise and Progress of Wallasey; a History of the Borough. Second Edition, revised and enlarged by the Public Libraries Department, Wallasey, in collaboration with E. Cuthbert Woods and H. Hopps. This second edition was 1960 and the map does have that date (after a fashion)

The map is of course of the whole borough so the pic I give is just a tiny section. it LOOKS like a lot more of the area in question has some sort of building - but cartographers do take some liberties even on O/S maps

Snod

Attached picture MapLisPostWar.jpg
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Liscard - 26th Oct 2008 9:48pm
Hmm, maybe it's simply an anomaly although the gap keeps changing in some fashion, for example if we're going through the years:

1898: A small building exists with a bigger building on Manor Rd, elongated chemist on this section?
1913: No building at the front, large building still on Manor Rd.
1938: Post Office dominates the front, still a small gap but building's still on Manor Rd.
1960: Still a gap at the front. Maybe it's that longer bit on the back into Manor Road then?
Posted By: Morseman Re: Liscard - 27th Oct 2008 1:59pm
Had a glance through the street directories in the library. In 1912 there was the chemists then a boot and shoe shop followed by a blacksmiths. Then there was the Queens. 1946 The chemists and the post office. 1955 Chemist and post office.

Personally I don't reckon there was ever a pub there and perhaps someone is thinking of the old Queens that was on the front of the present one if I remember correctly? Either that or they are way out and are thinking of the Castle (Garden) in Wallasey road?
Posted By: Morseman Re: Liscard - 27th Oct 2008 9:26pm
Ignore the caption. Someone was way out with this one. Note the trees at the place in question.

Attached picture Liscard (Ferry!).jpg
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Liscard - 27th Oct 2008 9:49pm
Morseman is right of course. This is the area we are discussing - despite what it says on the old postcard (which is a far better pic than mine)

A blow up of the area shows trees - and a lot of "fuzz" but it does seem likely that the car park area was free from buildings

Snod

Attached picture Liscard_Village2.jpg
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Liscard - 27th Oct 2008 9:57pm
If you do the same sort of blow up from the pic in the link Morseman posted then as well as trees there is quite clearly a building behind the trees. However, the wall in front also looks quite substantial and not the sort of frontage you would expect for a pub

Snod

Attached picture Liscard Village4.jpg
Posted By: Morseman Re: Liscard - 27th Oct 2008 9:58pm
Same photo though, just mine is tarted up. smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Liscard - 28th Oct 2008 1:59am
Well done Morse. So the answer is..the land was trees that probably belonged to the old Trafford House that was demolished to make way for the Post Office. The front of Trafford house must of fronted on Manor Road? Maybe thats another question we need an answer!
Posted By: Morseman Re: Liscard - 28th Oct 2008 9:39am
Well done Morse. So the answer is..the land was trees that probably belonged to the old Trafford House that was demolished to make way for the Post Office. The front of Trafford house must of fronted on Manor Road? Maybe thats another question we need an answer!

You mean I have to hit the books again but this time look at Manor road? smack Trafford house is a new one on me and sounds a bit too much like our "friends" place up the East Lancs road. Boooo!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral