Forums
Posted By: chriskay Postcards - 9th May 2008 9:45am
Bought a couple of postcards on e-bay. The tunnel entrance one is postmarked 1935, so the tunnel was still quite a novelty.
The New Brighton one is postmarked 1925.
Both the cards were written in pencil, by people on holiday.
I guess that in those times, holiday postcards were often in pencil, since the Biro hadn't been invented & either you didn't have a fountain pen, or it was too precious to be taken on holiday.

Attached picture cards small.jpg
Posted By: chiccy Re: Postcards - 9th May 2008 12:59pm
there great chris... can i ask what they have wrote on the cards too please? 1) am a nosey bint an 2) i love things like that x
Posted By: chriskay Re: Postcards - 9th May 2008 2:05pm
Originally Posted by chiccy
there great chris... can i ask what they have wrote on the cards too please? 1) am a nosey bint an 2) i love things like that x

OK. On the New Brighton one, sent from Liverpool to Harrogate.
"We arrived safely at about 5.40 pm. They were having a terrible thunderstorm at Huddersfield, but have had none here. We are going over to New Brighton today"

On the tunnel one, sent from Liverpool to Dolgelly (this is the way Dolgellau used to be spelt in the days before Welsh Nationalism asserted itself).
"Dear Elizabeth, thought you would like to see the entrance of the Mersey Tunnel. Having lovely weather here. With love from Nellie".
Posted By: kezza Re: Postcards - 9th May 2008 2:14pm
Trust chiccy to ask that lol. Very interesting though
Posted By: chiccy Re: Postcards - 9th May 2008 4:09pm
no u know i think thats lovely, see in them days a jolly here was like us goin abroad and that, makes me feel all warm an fuzzy...!
Posted By: chiccy Re: Postcards - 9th May 2008 4:09pm
thanks for sharing that chris xx thumbsup
Posted By: chriskay Re: Postcards - 9th May 2008 8:04pm
ur welcome, Chiccy.
Posted By: Sir_longmong Re: Postcards - 9th May 2008 8:38pm
there is a flea market at the entrance of birkenhead market by the big sayers every saturday and there is usually a bloke there selling loads of old wirral postcards like that. good stuff!
Posted By: Mark Re: Postcards - 9th May 2008 9:04pm
Chris would this be the Haymarket and Hamilton Square in the background?
Second picture.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: chriskay Re: Postcards - 10th May 2008 8:13am
Not exactly Hamilton Square, but you can see the town hall dome & the Shore Rd. pumping station chimney to the right of that. At the left of the picture is the old market hall. The haymarket is off the picture to the left.
Posted By: Mark Re: Postcards - 11th May 2008 12:10am
smack Your right and i'm wrong lol ( Again )
Posted By: chriskay Re: Postcards - 11th May 2008 10:30am
Of course I'm right...I'm older than you. grin I think you're confusing the market & the haymarket; see map. Incidentally, on this map (1909)it shows, on Argyle St., the New Theatre Royal, which someone, can't remember who, posted about some time ago. It later was the Savoy cinema, then another cinema I can't remember & is now Riley's. I love these old maps; they're so interesting when you're tracing history. This one is a Godfrey Edition. They're not expensive (£2.25 I think)& there's quite a few covering our area.
www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk

Cheers, Chris.

Edit.

Since the key map on the Godfrey site isn't too clear, here's a better one.

Attached picture market.jpg
Attached picture godfrey maps.jpg
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Postcards - 11th May 2008 9:01pm
If you're ever down in Exeter there is a little cafe on the quayside which sells postcards. You can spend hours in there rummaging and reading them. (Chiccy, I must be nosey as well as I enjoy reading them almost as much as looking at them!)I've no idea of the going rate for these things but I've bought a couple of cards in there of places that interest me and paid less than £1 each.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Postcards - 11th May 2008 9:12pm
Chris

I love maps as well.

Between tiling the bathroom and a zillion other things (jobs) while Mrs is away I have scanned a 25" to the mile map of Wallasey Village area (2 sections on A3 scanner), a 52" to the mile map of B'head Woodside area (again 2 sections) and a street map of Wallasey & B'head (4 secions at A3). All dated around 1960 so "old" but within memory of more mature members (cough, cough).

Each of the 8 files is 17 Meg!

I can send then to Mark by arrangement and maybe Mark will use Photoshop or whatever to recreate the individual files into one. I tried that with Paintshop pro and it was a mess.

That is not essential because I suggest that the maps are simply held "on file" for access by Mark and a few others and then when a topic arises needing a map a sub-section showing the area concerned can be cut amd pasted into the thread.

Tomorrow i will order a set of the Godfrey maps for Wallasey area + Bidston Hill around 1900. I have been meaning to do that for a while but your post reminded me. I also need the map for north Anglesey but that is for family history research.

Snod
Posted By: chriskay Re: Postcards - 12th May 2008 7:41am
Hi, Snod; I'd love to see the Woodside map. I've had a look on the Godfrey site & they have maps of Anglesey, so I hope they cover the area you're interested in.

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: Mark Re: Postcards - 17th May 2008 8:46pm
Originally Posted by Snodvan

I can send then to Mark by arrangement and maybe Mark will use Photoshop or whatever to recreate the individual files into one. I tried that with Paintshop pro and it was a mess.

Not a Problem wink
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Postcards - 17th May 2008 9:08pm
Mark

It is a bit late tonight to do a file transfer - so hopefully tomorrow

Snod
© Wirral-Wikiwirral