Forums
Posted By: Snodvan Captain's Pit, Hose Side Road Wallasey - 1st Apr 2008 12:12pm
The following were postcards of the Wallasey area posted with details removed as a sort of quiz. I promised to repost the pictures with the identifying details complete and with a current view of the scene

I will post in pairs for a given scene in case anyone wants to add comments about a particular view

The first pair are of Captain's Pit, Hose Side Road around 1905 and today. The trees in the background could well be the same in both photos but everything else has changed. Captain's Pit used to be an old quarry and was given to the town by Alderman James Smith

Snod

View More
Egremont Seabank Road Wallasey Click Me
Grove Road Wallasey Click Me
Folly Lane, Wallasey Click Me

Attached picture CaptainsPit.jpg
Attached picture CaptainsPitNow.jpg
Posted By: Mark Re: Captain's Pit, Hose Side Road Wallasey - 1st Apr 2008 1:06pm
I was just thinking that with the trees.
They do look similar wink
Posted By: Waddi Re: Captain's Pit, Hose Side Road Wallasey - 1st Apr 2008 1:49pm
woah, when I you said the old postcard was captains pit, I thought Hoeside road was on the right of the postcard, but in the new pic hoeside road is behind you.

just goes to show how replacing a building can totally throw your bearings.
Posted By: Paul450 Re: Captain's Pit, Hose Side Road Wallasey - 2nd Apr 2008 1:38pm
it's funny that we need a sign in the middle saying Danger now when we didn't then.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Captain's Pit, Hose Side Road Wallasey - 2nd Apr 2008 1:50pm
Id say the 2 bigger trees on the right are the same. Similar forks in the branches - just a little higher up, and spread out more in the latter pic smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral