Forums
Posted By: Waddi Shops gone by - 25th Mar 2008 12:43am
what shops do you remember that have now closed down?

any areas

Birkenhead
Toy & Hobby (where was this?)
Worrals the stationers
Stolen from ivor
Asda

Bromborough Croft retail park

Childrens World

Liscard
Marks and Spencers
John Menzies
Netto
I am correct in thinking there was a sainsburys?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Shops gone by - 25th Mar 2008 12:51am
Birkenhead
Toy & Hobby (where was this?)
Worrals the stationers
Stolen from ivor
Asda
Row of shops on Conway Street (now demolished)
C&A
Posted By: dave_g Re: Shops gone by - 25th Mar 2008 12:57am
stolen from ivor was that the one that sold all the eclipse stuff?
Posted By: Waddi Re: Shops gone by - 25th Mar 2008 12:57am
C&A ofcourse!
Living (TX MAX, JD, JJB, Nu Look)
Au Naturalle (where HMV is now)
MVC (Poundworld)
index (Home bargain)
Littlewoods (wh smiths)
Posted By: Waddi Re: Shops gone by - 25th Mar 2008 12:58am
eclipse? was that spliffy?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Shops gone by - 25th Mar 2008 1:26am
what was whsmiths in Birkenhead is now the main post office (which used to be on oxton road - now closed down)
Posted By: dave_g Re: Shops gone by - 25th Mar 2008 1:32am
damn rite big smileys an all that those were the days!!! party
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Shops gone by - 25th Mar 2008 10:45am
Birkenhead

Toy & Hobby (where was this?) - B&M know occupys it.. B&M used to be What everone wants? smile
Worrals the stationers - is know Game
Stolen from ivor - is the Dr Herbal Medicines near argos(its closed down know though)
Asda is where Wilkinsons is right know... smile
WhSmiths is in the old Littlewoods building but its been converted into other shops.. smile
Radio Rentals (if anybody remember this) Gamestation know occupys it..
The building used for Christmas grotto most years intown used to be the Old Mark One clothes shop
Tandy is know a Charity Shop
Contraband (which was the basement shop near Bon Marche) is know the mens section of Shoemarket..

Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Shops gone by - 25th Mar 2008 12:54pm
yeah contraband. I used to love it in there lol
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Shops gone by - 25th Mar 2008 1:22pm
Tandy, that place was the dogs
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Shops gone by - 25th Mar 2008 11:42pm
new ferry market
fred's
frogetts (now bargain booze in new ferry)
kwik save - forgot wot is replacing that in new ferry
Posted By: LukeORourke Re: Shops gone by - 27th Mar 2008 3:26am
kwik save bromborough which is somerfield now ( i can't spell for s*** )
Posted By: Peachy Re: Shops gone by - 27th Mar 2008 1:50pm
Netto Liscard - Weatherspoons.

Thats they only one i know!
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Shops gone by - 28th Mar 2008 3:34pm
I remember toy and hobby, pestered my parents everytime in town to go there, as a kid it seemed huge, rubber green flooring and shelfs stacked high with toys.
Also a bit of a way from town but the old sweet shop in Bidston avenue called vernons i think,sold all sweets under the sun plus had the seventies cardboard advertisements for marlboro and the likes, the shop was set out similar to arkwrights shop in open all hours, the same bloke worked there when my dad went there as a youngin and he is 63,
Posted By: chriskay Re: Shops gone by - 28th Mar 2008 4:06pm
I'd like someone to check for me, please, whether Bernards the tool shop is still in Oxton Rd. It was a couple of years ago. About 100 yards up from Charing Cross, on the right. If it is, it must be one of the few shops remaining from my childhood. I remember my Dad sending me there for screws, etc. Just opposite Bernards was a good bookshop called Mortons. A bit further up Oxton Rd. on the corner of Windsor St. on the opposite corner to the Windsor Castle pub was a butchers called Hoyle's. He must have been Catholic, because I remember seeing nuns going in & he would put meat in their bag. No money changed hands.
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Shops gone by - 28th Mar 2008 6:18pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
He must have been Catholic, because I remember seeing nuns going in & he would put meat in their bag. No money changed hands.

I'm saying nothing..

apart from that don't really remember that area well, more Bidston and claughton area myself.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Shops gone by - 28th Mar 2008 7:51pm
Chris, is Bernards the one on the corner opposite the old post office (now moved to Grange Road)? If so it's still there.

I have these pictures of Oxton Road, but I have no idea which pub you mean.

Hope these help bring back memories smile

Attached picture P1080115.JPG
Attached picture P1080116.JPG
Attached picture P1080118.JPG
Attached picture P1080123.JPG
Attached picture P1080128.JPG
Attached picture P1080129.JPG
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Shops gone by - 28th Mar 2008 7:53pm
[Linked Image]

That bookshop has been there since I was a kid
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Shops gone by - 28th Mar 2008 7:57pm
That picture with collenade is where i first started working.

It was called Century insurance then 8 years ago, then Arnott Century, then became budget insurance and now owned by swintons who are just down the road so the rebranded them Collenade
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Shops gone by - 28th Mar 2008 8:06pm
Marks and Spencer ..Liscard ,is now Primark.John Menzies is now W.H.Smith and i cant ever remember a Sainsburys in Liscard thumbsup
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Shops gone by - 28th Mar 2008 8:20pm
I am sure there was never a Saisbury in Liscard. There used to be Netto where Weatherspoons is now, and there was another supermarket there before Netto - but I cannot remember the name

Snod
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Shops gone by - 28th Mar 2008 8:23pm
Originally Posted by Snodvan
I am sure there was never a Saisbury in Liscard. There used to be Netto where Weatherspoons is now, and there was another supermarket there before Netto - but I cannot remember the name

Snod

Safeways
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Shops gone by - 28th Mar 2008 8:24pm
That is it!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Shops gone by - 28th Mar 2008 8:25pm
Gateway in Moreton, which then became Kwik Save and now Somerfield.

Solo which was owned by Somerfield was also in Moreton, but it was something else before it was Solo. It then became Somerfield, and when Somerfield and Kwik Save merged (until the shitty Labour government decided the likes of Tesco and Asda shouldnt have so much competition) it was eventually bought by Cool Trader and that stands there to this day.

Ill think of other shops soon!

smile
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Shops gone by - 28th Mar 2008 8:50pm
Macdonalds in Liscard used to be the CO-OP and the Shoe market used to be Lennons supermarket ,who in the dark days of Tranmere Rovers tried to purchase the land which is now a carpark(waste land in them days) to help the club out but they were refused planning permission and the idea and Lennons fizzled out.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Shops gone by - 28th Mar 2008 8:55pm
Originally Posted by BMW Joe
[Linked Image]

That bookshop has been there since I was a kid

I remember that bookshop, Joe. From memory, it's on the corner of Barton St. Windsor St. is the next one uphill; it's all car park now. I'm pretty sure Bernards was on the block downhill from there, nearer Charing Cross. It was at least a double fronted shop. Not opposite the old Post Office, which I remember well, (just up from Charing Cross, on the left). In the picture with the colonnaded building (looking down hill), on the right there's a blue metal fence; that's where Birkenhead Brewery was. Thanks for the pics, Joe. It's so different now, there's no good memories.

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Shops gone by - 28th Mar 2008 9:02pm
I'll give you another shop, not one that's gone; it's still there. Pykes the jewellers, in Grange Rd. (corner of Vincent St.)? I was at school with the son. Funnily enough, they've got a branch in Shrewsbury now. Just down from there was W.H.Smith, the first place I worked when I left school in 1952. Opposite there was Robbs, a posh department store. They had lifts & a restaurant called the Oak Room.
Posted By: Waddi Re: Shops gone by - 29th Mar 2008 7:46am
Sainsburys, Safeway pretty similar names. please forgive me considering Im not from that area and am going on stories and things that the wifes Nan has told me.

Shoe Market used to be a supermarket? it was also a picture house called "The Liscard Palace".

anyone remember the Gateway in Eastham by South Wirral High school/ Eastham sec.

so was Robbs department store in a similar place to where the pyramids are now?

and this is going really local now, the sweet shop on plymyard fields in Eastham that turned into a pet shop.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Shops gone by - 29th Mar 2008 9:56am
Here's a map showing the shops I mentioned. Charing Cross is just off the map to the left.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=53.389394,-3.028852&spn=0.001481,0.002886&t=h&z=18&msid=102226494235577172925.000449904a70041088fc2

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Shops gone by - 29th Mar 2008 5:44pm
Concerning the Oxton Rd. picture of the building with the ornate frontage, I've got a feeling this was probably the offices of the Birkenhead Brewery, which was opposite.

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Shops gone by - 31st Mar 2008 1:00pm
Here's another long gone shop. This was the main shop of the Birkenhead Co-operative Society in Grange Rd. It was called Tudor House. The newer looking part on the right is where TKmaxx is now, corner of St.John St.

Attached picture tudor house.jpg
Posted By: Waddi Re: Shops gone by - 31st Mar 2008 8:31pm
The newer looking part on the right is where TKmaxx is now, corner of St.John St.

TK Max/JD sports/JJB sports was Co-op LIVING Department Store, it was huge.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Shops gone by - 1st Apr 2008 9:19pm
I remember "Shoppers World"

An Index type place in Moreton
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Shops gone by - 2nd Apr 2008 7:20am
Who remembers Tandy which then became Radio Shack, I know there was one in Liscard where Carphone Warehouse is now. smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Shops gone by - 2nd Apr 2008 7:34am
Carphone Warehouse purchased most of the Tandy store's when Radio Shack ditched the brand in 2000.

smile
Posted By: chriskay Re: Shops gone by - 4th Apr 2008 2:39pm
Chris, is Bernards the one on the corner opposite the old post office (now moved to Grange Road)? If so it's still there.

I have these pictures of Oxton Road, but I have no idea which pub you mean.

Hope these help bring back memories smile

Joe; my apologies. Bernards is opposite where the Post Office used to be. Trouble is, when I remember it, that was Morton's bookshop & the Post Office was further down, nearly at Charing Cross. The street with Bernard's on the corner is Barton St., now turned into a car park with Windsor St. which is the next one uphill, with the pub on the corner.

Attached picture Bernards.jpg
Attached picture Windsor Castle.jpg
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Shops gone by - 4th Apr 2008 2:49pm
Has anyone got any pics of birkenhead before the Pryamids where there?

I remember a lareg gravel car park, but not what was before that....
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Shops gone by - 4th Apr 2008 2:56pm
click me

try this stu
Posted By: chriskay Re: Shops gone by - 4th Apr 2008 2:59pm
That link not working, Jonno.
Posted By: Mark Re: Shops gone by - 4th Apr 2008 3:49pm
fixed
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Shops gone by - 4th Apr 2008 4:33pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac

I have photos of when they were just built, not yet opened, but none of the area before it was built im afraid.

frown
Posted By: chriskay Re: Shops gone by - 4th Apr 2008 6:35pm
Here's a few.

Description: Looking from the Charing Cross end.Timpsons is on the corner of Horatio St. (for some reason re-named on Google maps as Abratio St. Pyramids start about where the bus is.
Attached picture horatio St..jpg

Description: Looking down from roughly where St.John St is. I think that slight bend is still in the road. Ahead of you now is the new Market. The white tower in the distance is Allanson's, now Beatties
Attached picture allansons.jpg

Description: Looking back towards Charing Cross. The modern building on the right is the co-op store, corner of St.John St. (now TKMaxx)
Attached picture co-op.jpg
Posted By: Mark Re: Shops gone by - 4th Apr 2008 8:22pm
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

There amazing them pics chris thumbsup wow.

Posted By: fordsteve Re: Shops gone by - 4th Apr 2008 8:24pm
fantastic pics if you dont mind me asking were you find them all
Posted By: chiccy Re: Shops gone by - 4th Apr 2008 8:26pm
them pics are fab!

i remember a shop called granfare (SP) roud about were iceland is now...or am i dreaming ?
Posted By: fordsteve Re: Shops gone by - 4th Apr 2008 8:32pm
does ring a bell hun
Posted By: chriskay Re: Shops gone by - 4th Apr 2008 8:56pm
Originally Posted by fasterste
fantastic pics if you dont mind me asking were you find them all

Sorry, I can't reveal the source, because of copyright issues. What I will say is that they're from a fairly recent book which has some good pics, but to my certain knowledge contains at least 12 errors of location, which I brought to the attention of the publishers.
Posted By: philmch Re: Shops gone by - 4th Apr 2008 9:00pm
I remember the "new" precinct being built and the old shops between the Co-op and Beatties being demolished.

It started in the early to mid 70s and Christ, it took *ages* to build. As I remember it, the builders went on strike for about 3 years or something and the shoppers were always being diverted through muddy puddles or over planks of wood.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Shops gone by - 18th Aug 2008 8:54pm
Pykes is still there on the corner. Bernards is still there, but is now renamed, but is still a tool and hardware shop!!

Does anyone remember Lennons on Village Road in Bebington, which is now occupied by Somerfield? I came across an old carrier bag with it's logo on the front in my folk's loft!
There is also Pinks on the same road, which is STILL THERE!!! It's older than me!
There was a shop called Computer Adventure World which is opposite McDonalds in Birkenhead. They had the banner up in Central Station in Liverpool for years after it closed (around 1994). It smelt of wood all the time, I can still recall the smell, along with Toy & Hobby, which had the rubbery smell from the floor.

Another shop I remember is Lion Computers on Borough Road (down the road from Tranmere Rover's ground). It stank of smoke, and had loads of cheap second hand games in there for 99p!

Not many independent shops open now I'm afraid.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Shops gone by - 18th Aug 2008 8:57pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac

I was going to post a thread for this? It used to be a load of old houses or warehouses I think. Then it was knocked down, and it stood as gravel and rubble for years, alongside the multistory car park which was the same. I can remember vividly walking through the building site coming home from school in September 1987 (when I started secondary school) when they were building it.
Posted By: mike849 Re: Shops gone by - 18th Aug 2008 9:06pm
anyone remember peter toners in seaview road liscard it used to sell models and bikes its now a tattoo place
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Shops gone by - 18th Aug 2008 9:56pm
Originally Posted by Station
There was a shop called Computer Adventure World which is opposite McDonalds in Birkenhead. They had the banner up in Central Station in Liverpool for years after it closed (around 1994).

I remember the banner, isn't it still up??
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Shops gone by - 18th Aug 2008 10:02pm
i know the book chris, interesting houses inside lairds where the con hall now stands dont you think?
Posted By: oxtonmac Re: Shops gone by - 18th Aug 2008 11:46pm
I remember TJ Hughe's on the same side as pykes with the big grating you walked over to get to the stairs ..

Another one was "Robbs" just across the way a grand old building I remember they used to do a lot of musical instruments

Also my first shopping experience was a cool clothes shop called "stolen from Ivor" on the same side as pykes further down.

anyone remember them?
Posted By: oggie Re: Shops gone by - 19th Aug 2008 12:39am
Originally Posted by oxtonmac
I remember TJ Hughe's on the same side as pykes with the big grating you walked over to get to the stairs ..

Another one was "Robbs" just across the way a grand old building I remember they used to do a lot of musical instruments

Also my first shopping experience was a cool clothes shop called "stolen from Ivor" on the same side as pykes further down.

anyone remember them?

Your right on every count there mate,the original Stolen from Ivor was just about where the Abbey bank is now,the row of shops looked like little houses,they moved down next to where Argos is now,when it became the new precinct.I've got vague recollections of Grange road running right down from Charing Cross through to where Beatties is.None of it was pedestrianised and there were cars,buses and trucks going about their business.

Oxton Rd was always busy then,Bernards as has been mentioned and a pet shop where the chinese resteraunt is now.

The main post office was on Argyle st(Not sure if it is still in use)There was also a pub there(now Sophies)that we all new as"The Old Postie"

Staying on Argyle st was the ABC pictures now the snooker hall.
Then there was the Classsic pictures on Conway st which is now Slices the club.
There was a building opposite that called the Ritz,I remember it being the Bingo hall.Conway St used to be full of large 3 storey buildings many of them shops and is where Peter Johnson of Park Hampers started his little empire,above his Dads butchers shop.

Chris;)
Posted By: DavidB Re: Shops gone by - 19th Aug 2008 11:43am
My mate used to own Sophies when it was called Promises! It was an old Post Office.

Does anyone remember Breaks/Suzy Q's in New Ferry which is now covered by Aldi?
Posted By: Wench Re: Shops gone by - 19th Aug 2008 12:05pm
I used to love Stolen from Ivor. I remember Promises and Suzi Q's, also remember when it changed over to Breaks. Useless piece of information, but the wood that made up the bar in Breaks is now in my Mum's downstairs toilet and dining room!

I feel so old now wink

Also had a flashback of going to The 'Amo (Hamilton Club, before it was The Pleasuredrome)on a Wednesday night for the Mod nights. Only went initially as my mate was seeing a lad who was in The Vickers, I fancied his mate but he never knew lol. The joys of being the fat mate that kept dibs and looked after the handbags thumbsup

Posted By: chriskay Re: Shops gone by - 19th Aug 2008 6:25pm
Well, lots to comment on here. I'll try to do it all in one post.
@ Station; Bernard's re-named? to what? it was still Bernard's when I was last up about a month ago.

Here's an extract from a 1911 map of the Grange Rd. area. I've left it as a link so you can scale it up to be able to see the fine detail. A few points of interest:
Corner of Catherine St., where Woolworth's is now, a chapel & next to that the Y.M.C.A. which is where the Boy Scout movement was started. A bit further down, the Hippodrome, which I think was a music hall, (although Hippodrome in Greek means horse race track); there's something you never wanted to know.
Further down on the opposite side is Huskisson St., surrounding St. John's Church. Easily located now because St. John's St. opposite is still there. On the corner of Huskisson St., Charing Cross side, was a garden shop; Forizo. They still exist, with a place in Holborn Square. Next to that was an ice cream shop; Fabbri's.
As you can see on the map, it was all residential then down to St.Werburgh's church. Notice too on the map, the tram lines are shown.

@Rentaclown100; If you mean the picture on page 43, they were the offices & drawing offices & plan rooms. My dad used to have to go there to get plans, which he then marked out on the steel plates of the ships with a chalk line. His trade was a liner-off & he had to serve a 5 year apprenticeship.

@Oxtonmac; Yes, I remember Robb's well. They had a restaurant called the Oak Room. You went up in a lift, with an attendant with white gloves.

@Oggie (welcome) yes, I remember when Grange Road was crowded with traffic. I don't remember the pet shop in Oxton Rd., but maybe you remember Morton's bookshop, opposite Bernard's. I understand it was later a Post Office. Riley's/ABC on Argyle St. was the Savoy cinema before the ABC. The Ritz, which you remember as a bingo hall was a cinema. I was a projectionist there in 1955. The manager was Bill Boht; some relation to Jean Boht (Nellie Boswell in "Bread").

Cheers, Chris.

Attached picture 2008-08-19 17-46-55_0130.jpg
Posted By: DavidB Re: Shops gone by - 19th Aug 2008 9:07pm
Oh, it's not been renamed, I assumed it had. Well, it's still a hardware store then. smile

Anyone remember MacCombs pet shop in Birkenhead? I bought many a rodent from there. I remember buying really dodgy stuff from Stolen From Ivor (down the road from MacCombs), I didn't ever notice it had closed down tbh.

I'd love to see some old photographs of Birkenhead how it was 10 - 30 years ago. My brother used to take loads of photos of the Wirral around 1986 - 1992, I'll have to get them and scan them in.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Shops gone by - 19th Aug 2008 9:27pm
Welcome Oggie.

Originally Posted by oggie

The main post office was on Argyle st(Not sure if it is still in use)There was also a pub there(now Sophies)that we all new as"The Old Postie"

The Main Post Office - I think it's closed now

The Old Post Office Hotel (Now Sophies)

Originally Posted by oggie
Staying on Argyle st was the ABC pictures now the snooker hall.

Argyle Street, 1961

Argyle Street, 1962
Posted By: dingle Re: Shops gone by - 20th Aug 2008 11:04am
Hey Chris, how long did you work at WH Smith, my brother Tony Miller(deceased now)used to work there.

Dave Miller
Posted By: chriskay Re: Shops gone by - 20th Aug 2008 12:05pm
Hi, Dave, I didn't work there very long; probably less than a year, 1952/53. After that I became a cinema projectionist, first at the Plaza, then at the Ritz. Went into the Air Force in June 1956 & never went back to Birkenhead. I visit it quite a lot now though.
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Shops gone by - 20th Aug 2008 11:20pm
Hey chris just wondering if you knew a Den Platt who worked there ??
Posted By: chriskay Re: Shops gone by - 21st Aug 2008 7:21am
Originally Posted by SoundLad
Hey chris just wondering if you knew a Den Platt who worked there ??

No, sorry. I wasn't there long & can't remember any names; it is 56 years ago confused
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Shops gone by - 21st Aug 2008 9:58pm
Ahh okie doke happy no problemo hehe!
Posted By: Robert Re: Shops gone by - 12th Oct 2009 5:28pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC
Gateway in Moreton, which then became Kwik Save and now Somerfield.

Solo which was owned by Somerfield was also in Moreton, but it was something else before it was Solo. It then became Somerfield, and when Somerfield and Kwik Save merged (until the shitty Labour government decided the likes of Tesco and Asda shouldnt have so much competition) it was eventually bought by Cool Trader and that stands there to this day.

Ill think of other shops soon!

smile

It used to be Lennons in the 80s I remember
Posted By: Robert Re: Shops gone by - 12th Oct 2009 5:31pm
The Beefeater in Moreton in the bighouse.

Toymaster toy shop in Moreton

The Village Trader in Moreton (where Kwik Save is now)

There used to be a clothes shop in Chadwick Street that used to sell school uniforms and things it was quite old fashioned from what I remember.

The co-op Supermarket in Moreton

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Shops gone by - 12th Oct 2009 5:36pm
Remember that shop in chadwick street.
Moreton mart
The market in moreton
John menzies or wh smith in moreton
Was it tesco's where iceland is now?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Shops gone by - 12th Oct 2009 5:42pm
Iceland used to be opposite the church on that road leading up to a.p.h. upton road?
Posted By: Robert Re: Shops gone by - 12th Oct 2009 5:55pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Iceland used to be opposite the church on that road leading up to a.p.h. upton road?

Yep Upton Road. Where Iceland is now used to be Tescos and then it was a Victor Value or something like that.
Posted By: sonyj Re: Shops gone by - 13th Oct 2009 9:27am
do you remember shoppers world opposite were iceland is now it was like an early argos....and the toy shop on the corner of roslyn drive i think it was called keighleys or sumin like that..i used to look in the side window on my way home from school ...oh those were the days
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Shops gone by - 13th Oct 2009 9:33am
Originally Posted by sonyj
do you remember shoppers world opposite were iceland is now it was like an early argos....and the toy shop on the corner of roslyn drive i think it was called keighleys or sumin like that..i used to look in the side window on my way home from school ...oh those were the days
omg! I do yeah-vaguely. What year was this?
I got caught robbing from that toy shop and being took home by the police :$
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Shops gone by - 13th Oct 2009 9:37am
Timpsons-somewhere by the samaritons charity shop. Back in the day when 'measuring size of feet' was standard.
Posted By: sonyj Re: Shops gone by - 13th Oct 2009 9:55am
the year must have been about 1976
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Shops gone by - 13th Oct 2009 9:57am
the year must have been about 1976
thought so! As i said, only a vague memory so knew i must have been young-i was 4!
Posted By: sonyj Re: Shops gone by - 13th Oct 2009 10:06am
wot schools did you go to then...?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Shops gone by - 13th Oct 2009 10:14am
Sandbrook for a year or so and then eastway.
Posted By: Robert Re: Shops gone by - 13th Oct 2009 8:50pm
I remember Shoppers World I remember my parents getting me a couple of train sets from there for christmas for me. As for the toy shop yeah I remember that.

I have just thought of more shops

Teds Bakery
Fennys

They where next door to each other on Barnston Lane

Moreton Mart

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Shops gone by - 13th Oct 2009 9:22pm
Fennys? Rings a bell?
Just remembered -bottom of 'cadburys hill'- wasnt there a cake shop? Opposite the pub-but also opposite the chippy on 'pasture road' ìs it?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Shops gone by - 13th Oct 2009 9:30pm
Fenny's adjacent to lennons?
Thats where i bort my 'insette rock hard hairspray', ann french cleansing milk 'for spotty skin' and later 'super wet look gel'. Happy days!
Posted By: sonyj Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 12:23am
Noras sweet shop at the bottom of borrowdale rd and rumbelows next to boots
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 2:05am
I'd like someone to check for me, please, whether Bernards the tool shop is still in Oxton Rd. It was a couple of years ago. About 100 yards up from Charing Cross, on the right. If it is, it must be one of the few shops remaining from my childhood. I remember my Dad sending me there for screws, etc.

http://www.bernards.co.uk/
Posted By: bert1 Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 6:39am
Did W Bernard, who where in Argyle St and were bombed (see pic) have any thing to do with the present day R Bernard, Oxton Rd. I remember a Bernards being below the old market and i think they were W Bernards and probably moved there after they were bombed, also i seem to remember after the market burnt down they acquired premises on the priory industrial estate. I think they have now also shut down.

Attached picture birkenhead_bomb.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 9:31am
Thanks, DD/Bert. I've always assumed that both Bernards were the same family, maybe father & son. I've seen that pic. of the bomb damage before; think it's in one of my Boumphrey books. I went into R.Bernards when I was up a few months ago, just for old times' sake.
Posted By: Robert Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 6:49pm
Fenny's adjacent to lennons?
Thats where i bort my 'insette rock hard hairspray', ann french cleansing milk 'for spotty skin' and later 'super wet look gel'. Happy days!

My mum used to send mere there for trash bags when I was a kid.

The newsagents/sweetshop next to the legion was always known as Bakewells when I was a kid.

Moreton Market does anyone remember the fire there? I was in school at Lingham Lower School that day and from the upstairs you could see the flames.

In the building that was the bingo club (former moreton picture house) there was 2 shops on the left and right I always remember a cafe on the one on the right hand side it used to have a really old fashioned Pepsi sign on the wall.

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 7:00pm
'bakewells' the name of that shop has been bugging me for years!! Thanks
Also remember that cafe. Nan used to take us there btween bingo sessions!
In ones tweenie years i used to do madonna 'dress you up' on the bingo stairs! If u saw the video you'll know wot i mean. Lol
Posted By: Stegga Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 7:03pm
There was a newsagents almost next to the bingo too, i think it was called Saunders. Used to buy my comics there on saturday morning. The chippy next to the library aswell. Soeys chippy (god knows how it was spelt. Didn't the Moreton Mart move into the shop next door to the chippy.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 7:04pm
The sweet shop on other side of bingo-used to get me looseys from there on the way to skool!
Posted By: Stegga Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 7:06pm
You probably know my sisters then, caught them more than once smoking looseys in Saunders, always stopped thier pocket money for a week when i did ha ha
Posted By: Robert Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 7:08pm
I used to hear storys about that Chippy involving dogs when I was little. I remember that newagents too on the other side of Pasure Road.

I remember Golden Sunrise Chippy on corner of Barnston Lane.

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 7:12pm
Yer moreton mart next to the chippy. I remember it boarded its windows up when there was something going on on the ford/nocky? It was around the time of the toxteth riots and i was petrified, thinking the riots were coming to moreton.
Also, remember the rumour that sueys were selling 'dog' and me mum boycotted them and we went the one opposite morton arms instead.
Posted By: Robert Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 7:13pm
ok I remember a row of shops that got pulled down on the same street as Moreton Market was (Oakenholt Road) I had to look it up. I remember a barbers being there. On the corner there was like 2 small shops where Barbers is now and the Key Cutting place was I remember one of them being a tiny sweet shop and think the other one sold wool I think.

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 7:19pm
Your right!! Wool+ sweets omg forgot about them.
Vaguley remember shops opp market-one was defo a cobblers. Mum used to send me to pick up her re-heeled shoes.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 7:22pm
Rox records! A little offy! On the 'bend' opposite the big house
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 7:25pm
And.,also in oakenholt rd on the corner a fruit+ veg shop
Posted By: Stegga Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 7:29pm
I used to buy my chips there on my way home from boys brigade, cant remember what night it was on. I wasn't actually in the B,B,. My mates and i all decided to join, it was a bus ride to Moreton from Leasowe, but when we got to Moreton we decided to hang around the shops (all closed as it was evening) instead of going to B,B. This went on for weeks n weeks, subs and return bus fare always spent on sweets and then chips and a can of Tizer from the Golden Sunrise to walk back home with. It always seemed such a long way on short legs. My mother would ask week after week "When are you going to get your uniform?" I remember my excuses being so unbelievable that they must have sounded true ha ha
Shhhhhh, she's still none the wiser!
Posted By: Robert Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 7:29pm
Rox Records was tiny. That moved to where Dewhursts was on Upton Road.

Just found this pic and they guy says this also used to be Les Turners Cake Shop

http://www.mikekemble.com/mside/moreton/mton7.jpg
Posted By: Stegga Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 7:30pm
I was in the Moreton Market today
Posted By: Stegga Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 7:33pm
That row of shops opposite the market, one was a liitle record shop, my older sister would make me go and buy 45's for her there. Cant remember ewhat it was called
Posted By: Robert Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 7:35pm
Do you remember The Village Trader
Posted By: Stegga Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 7:39pm
Yeah, like a little village of shops all under the one roof. All gradually closed down til there was only the sweet shop left right by the door. That stayed for a few years even after kwiksave took the building.
Posted By: Robert Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 7:40pm
Yeah it was like a posh version of the indoor Birkenhead Market
Posted By: Stegga Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 7:42pm
Was a bit crappy though, and at the time a little out of the main shopping area of Moreton (not far i know) but things where more centralized down on the cross back then
Posted By: Stegga Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 7:45pm
Now the toy shop opposite, that was another matter. Mortimers, then it changed to Keighleys. It was a young boys heaven upstairs in there. Models of anything you could think of!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 7:46pm
V. Trader rings a bell? Wot was in it?
Moreton market- cant believe how small it is when you think it was units?
Can remember buggy/pram place, shoes, knickers+nighties-me mum used to get me nans thermals-and thats it! Oh and the baked spud man
Posted By: Stegga Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 7:51pm
Can't remember a damn thing that was in the Village Trader except the sweetshop at the front entrance. God knows how i've still got all my own teeth, all my posts seem to involve sweetshops ha ha
Posted By: Robert Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 7:51pm
I remember the place giving out Green Sheild Stamps.

I remember also Joans Deli (it used to be on Chadwick St but moved to the cross) There used to be a butchers there.

Radio Rentals (they had a small vhs video rental libary)
Redifusion (another tv rental shop)
The video rental shop on Pasure Road

Cellar 5 on Pasture Road

Newsagents on the bottom of Upton Road don't remember the name but it used to sell singles for 99p

Hairdressers on the corner of Roslyn Drive thats now and Indian Restaurant.

There used to be anotehr cake shop upon Hoylake Road not Malcolms but it was further up.
Posted By: Stegga Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 7:55pm
That hairdressers is where my fave toy shop was in the 70s and early 80s
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 7:55pm
Re. The beefeater- i was sooo jealous of the kids that got to eat in them toadstool things! But..what i cant remember what the big house looked like before them 'olde worlde' shops.
I left moreton in 1989-well, me mum did i had no choice!
Everythink seems small. Getting off the bus+ walking down orchard road home (i lived on the 'new estate')- road seemed really really long-its not!
Posted By: Stegga Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 8:00pm
Hey Rudebox, i lived on the new estate, moved there when they were first built
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 8:00pm
What about Rock Ferry in the 60's. Shallcross's Bike & Toy shop,the cafe next to the station bridge in Bedford Road which sold delicious ice cream, The Chinese Laundry , Exchange & Mart the antique shop whose owner was fortunate to acquire a genuine Rubens painting for a song & sell it for a large amount of cash. He always wore a sheepskin coat & looked like a spiv. He drove round in a large American 'Rambler' car. There was the coffee bar on the corner of Bedford & New Chester Roads.Bob Simister's motor bike showroom.
The shops used to extend almost to St. Pauls Rd. & to Grove Road.

Bob.
Posted By: Robert Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 8:01pm
I think the toy shop become a Toy Master shop. The chain is still going.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 8:03pm
Originally Posted by stegga
Was a bit crappy though, and at the time a little out of the main shopping area of Moreton (not far i know) but things where more centralized down on the cross back then
funny you should say that coz we rarely ventured past where iceland is now. That is prob why i remembered the 'argos' type shop -out me comfort zone. Lol
Posted By: Robert Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 8:04pm
I remember there being a couple of housefires on the New Estate. The houses got boarded up and you could see the burn marks on the brick work. I remember walking past them on my way too Eastway Nursey.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 8:06pm
same here! Witley ave
Me brains ticking now...
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 8:10pm
Originally Posted by Robert
I remember there being a couple of housefires on the New Estate. The houses got boarded up and you could see the burn marks on the brick work. I remember walking past them on my way too Eastway Nursey.

One in lyons close and another witley ave-a nurse and 2 kids-ex hubby put sumfink lit thru the letterbox.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 8:45pm
Im not para
Im not para
Im not para
Im not para

Lol. Off topic. Soz
Posted By: Robert Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 8:59pm
Im not para
Im not para
Im not para
Im not para

Lol. Off topic. Soz

you sure?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 9:03pm
Haha. Nooo, am ok. These house fires-same ones i remember?
Posted By: Robert Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 9:06pm
Yeah I think they are the same house fires. It would of been the early 80s.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 9:23pm
Yes same time frame!
Imagine if it turns out we all know each other? Freaky!
Posted By: sonyj Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 9:32pm
there was a pet shop by were max speilman was on the cross and it had a very friendly miner bird......not sure if it was called stroads
Posted By: Stegga Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 9:47pm
same here! Witley ave
Me brains ticking now...

Get ya brain tickin harder, i was i Witley Close
Posted By: Stegga Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 9:48pm
that should say "in witley close"
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 10:52pm
Anyone from Wallasey will always remember the small Kiosk at the bottom of Church Street and Liscard Road. Disappeared in the early 90s. Crackin' little place too...
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 11:41pm
same here! Witley ave
Me brains ticking now...

o...k...witley close and u got sisters ? Gna think bout this one! Lol
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 11:57pm
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
Anyone from Wallasey will always remember the small Kiosk at the bottom of Church Street and Liscard Road. Disappeared in the early 90s. Crackin' little place too...
yer...remember that kiosk...diddy little space. Always a 'port of call' after knackering the kids out
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Shops gone by - 14th Oct 2009 11:59pm
[quote=stegga]Hey Rudebox, i lived on the new estate, moved there when they were first built
same here! Witley ave
Me brains ticking now...

[/quote] giz a clue! How old are you?
Posted By: Stegga Re: Shops gone by - 15th Oct 2009 8:27am

[
[quote=stegga]Hey Rudebox, i lived on the new estate, moved there when they were first built
same here! Witley ave
Me brains ticking now...

[/quote]
You most probably knew my two younger sisters Julie & Joanne, they seemed to know everyone on the estate.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Shops gone by - 15th Oct 2009 10:55am
Hmm. Dousent ring a bell. Have to think on this one.
Posted By: Robert Re: Shops gone by - 15th Oct 2009 5:06pm
there was a pet shop by were max speilman was on the cross and it had a very friendly miner bird......not sure if it was called stroads

I remember the Parrot in Richies Pet shop (The Pet Centre when it was on the same block as Max Spielmans. It was called Lucky and used to say Hello and Goodbye.
Posted By: bri445 Re: Shops gone by - 15th Oct 2009 6:48pm
Bob Simister's - got my first Lambretta scooter there in 1955. Licence No.FCM55 - cool or what!
Wonder if it's still around?! yomama
Posted By: kimpri Re: Shops gone by - 15th Oct 2009 7:45pm
got my ciggs there,10,number 10 and 5 parkdrive for me mam please. happy
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Shops gone by - 15th Oct 2009 8:33pm
Flippin' No 10 - used to burn your nose lighting them if you weren't quick! raftl
Posted By: BossFan Re: Shops gone by - 16th Oct 2009 5:09am
Do you remember Gearbox? On Charing Cross, used to sell all the latest clothes. Inn Things in Grange Road also sold the latest fashions, got my first pair of Loons there and my Budgie jacket.

Rox Records, there were two in Birkenhead, one on Borough Road where GBTours is now and one on the corner of Argyle Street and Market Street.
Posted By: chris58 Re: Shops gone by - 17th Oct 2009 2:32pm
remember when rox records used to be called "sounds nice" we used to go in there on saturday afternoons and the lady working in there used to put the chart 45's on for us to listen to. Dilys in Grange Road used to be a trendy boutique. Remember going to Robbs record department and asking them to put records on while you went in a booth to listen to it. Happy Days!!!
Posted By: dingle Re: Shops gone by - 17th Oct 2009 8:43pm
Any of you Moretonites remember the nightclub (name unknown) right up near the beach, towards the end of Pasture Rd. Had a sitting area and bar at the front with fruit machines(one armed bandits) then a dance area at the rear. This would have been about 1966/67.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Shops gone by - 17th Oct 2009 8:48pm
are you talking about the Apollo
Used to go there regularly late 60s and 70s
Ithink it's now used for giving dancing lessons
Previously in earlier times it was a skating rink
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Shops gone by - 17th Oct 2009 8:56pm
another club in Moreton used to be the Haig club in Haig Avenue
also Moreton Football Club was ok for a night out

I reckon the oldest still going shops in Moreton are Post Office Chadwick Street Launderette top of Francis Avenue
the newsagents beginning of Chapelhill and the chippie by the library
Posted By: kezzbag Re: Shops gone by - 17th Oct 2009 11:31pm
Omg! All these Moreton memories! Shoppers World was the catalogue style shop opposite Iceland. The sign had a purple background and yellow lettering. I also go in the old market and think how did so many stalls and a cafe fit in here. Village trader....Billy Butler opened it. I thought the place was really posh lol. I was in Village Trader when Hillsborugh happened. That`s how I heard over their radio/speaker. But so many memories of all shops mentioned.
Posted By: suey30 Re: Shops gone by - 17th Oct 2009 11:51pm
hi over the road from tk max was a row of shops one being bentleys the jewellers / pawn brokers.also bensons beds, in 63/64.i think.
Posted By: Robert Re: Shops gone by - 18th Oct 2009 3:56pm
what was the big newsagents called next to Barclays Bank?

Is Fosters the green grocers still going?

The clock repair shops has been there for years.

There was a fish mongers near Shoppers World I don't remember the name?

Malcolmbs cake shop I never liked there cakes.

Posted By: Stegga Re: Shops gone by - 18th Oct 2009 4:43pm
Originally Posted by Robert
what was the big newsagents called next to Barclays Bank?

Is Fosters the green grocers still going?

The clock repair shops has been there for years.

There was a fish mongers near Shoppers World I don't remember the name?

Malcolmbs cake shop I never liked there cakes.

Unfortunately, Fosters fruit and veg shop has closed down. It was there until very recently. The shop is empty, still has the old Fosters Sign writing on it though.
Time Spot the watch and clock repairers is still there and still trading.
The newsagents next to Barclays had various names including Ricafeg, Collins (I think) and McColls as far as i can remember. Its a supersaver discount store now.
Can't help with the name of the Fishmongers, remember it though, fish used to gross me out so I stayed well clear of it.
As for Malcombs, I'm with you there. Sayers was my port of call.
Posted By: Stegga Re: Shops gone by - 18th Oct 2009 4:45pm
Informed by my sister that the newsagents next to Barclays was called Martins at one stage too. She should know, she worked there. smile
Posted By: sonyj Re: Shops gone by - 18th Oct 2009 5:07pm
the fishmongers ....i think thats were the time hair salon formaly ian hendry was
Posted By: kezzbag Re: Shops gone by - 18th Oct 2009 10:50pm
Just remebered name of newsagents. Lavells. Sold books and stationary stuff aswell as your news papers.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Shops gone by - 18th Oct 2009 11:16pm
Lavells yer that rings a bell deffo
Posted By: kezzbag Re: Shops gone by - 18th Oct 2009 11:25pm
Informed by my sister that the newsagents next to Barclays was called Martins at one stage too. She should know, she worked there. smile

yeah, it was lavells for years then went to Martins.
Posted By: Robert Re: Shops gone by - 19th Oct 2009 11:34am
I remember the holes in the wall where the potatoes where in Fosters.

I remember an old farm building/house on Digg Lane where the new row of shops are where Blockbuster is and the Estate Agents.

I remember Jones Chapman and Harland used to be on the block of shops where the Pet Shop is now and there was another Estate Agents there.

The surgery thats in Chadwick Street used to be in one of those houses converted to offices on Hoylake Road. I remember a old sign on the building which said something like ARROWEBROOK (ARR) It was painted on a glass box on the building.

There was a solicitors office next to or near the florist and they used to be an agent for National and Provincial building socitey (I can't remember the name)

And Don Walkers insurance was on Hoylake Road and is now a Auto Parts shop. The Pet shop used to be next door to Don Walkers.
Posted By: queensferry Re: Shops gone by - 16th Apr 2010 8:09pm
the shops are still there as you said.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Shops gone by - 18th Apr 2010 4:46pm
Rham records,fads,microbyte,player,thriftys all were in liscard.
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Shops gone by - 18th Apr 2010 7:43pm
More here:

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...arks_and_Spencer_Liscard.html#Post391658
Posted By: suey30 Re: Shops gone by - 20th Apr 2010 8:09pm
zodiac toys. was were thortons is,in birkenhead i think.tk max was the co op before living.bhs was were new look is,and on church rd tranmere was ronnie parishs the shop between the co op and the chemist. which became a video shop.
Posted By: DodgyDave Re: Shops gone by - 20th Apr 2010 11:06pm
BHS was where Primark is now.
Posted By: Jess53 Re: Shops gone by - 4th May 2010 10:20am
Does anyone remember the dolls hospital? I can remember going there when my sisters doll needed to have treatment back in about 1965
Posted By: Nigel Re: Shops gone by - 28th May 2010 10:01pm
Originally Posted by mike849
anyone remember peter toners in seaview road liscard it used to sell models and bikes its now a tattoo place

Blimy I remeber Peter Toners, I am sure he used to sell fireworks there at that bike shop? I am sure I bought my anual firework supply there years ago.
Posted By: Nigel Re: Shops gone by - 28th May 2010 10:03pm
Originally Posted by Station
There was a shop called Computer Adventure World which is opposite McDonalds in Birkenhead. They had the banner up in Central Station in Liverpool for years after it closed (around 1994).

I remember the banner, isn't it still up??

Hi Joe, The banner at central station at the top of the wirral line escalors only came down about 8 months ago - I remember that shop well.
Posted By: Longnails Re: Shops gone by - 30th Jun 2010 7:10pm
I remember Gearbox, I bought my boyfriend, now Husband a couple of gifts from there. They had some swanky clothes in that shop.
I remember Dad taking Mum to the Haig club in Moreton.
The Apollo in Moreton teaches the jive at present.
Posted By: Longnails Re: Shops gone by - 4th Jul 2010 11:53am
Does anyone remember Chelsea Girl in the Grange Precinct, it was just a bit further up from Mothercare?
I worked there for a few years and what fun we had smile. We listened to music all day,(not now though I couldn't stand the noise lol).We got discount off all the latest fashions. We also had great uniforms and they were free.
It was hard work though but working with nice friends made it all the better.
Posted By: carcol2006 Re: Shops gone by - 4th Jul 2010 12:20pm
I can remember getting my subbuteo teams from there after Kenny Campbells Sports which was by the fire station closed down.
Posted By: carcol2006 Re: Shops gone by - 4th Jul 2010 12:22pm
And what about Longworths in Rowson Street New Brighton they had a model railway in the window and you put a Penny in the slot on the winow sill and it went round happy days.
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Shops gone by - 4th Jul 2010 6:41pm
were did all the shoe shops go? like....Freeman,Hardy & Willis...Timpsons on New Chester Rd New Ferry, Berksons in Bebington Rd, and clothes shop Tickles also on New Chester Rd,i remember getting a suit from there when i was 16...well not an actual suit it was a skirt [mini]& waistcoat,i was in my first job and wanted it for the christmas party.
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Shops gone by - 4th Jul 2010 6:46pm
Originally Posted by Longnails
Does anyone remember Chelsea Girl in the Grange Precinct, it was just a bit further up from Mothercare?
I worked there for a few years and what fun we had smile. We listened to music all day,(not now though I couldn't stand the noise lol).We got discount off all the latest fashions. We also had great uniforms and they were free.
It was hard work though but working with nice friends made it all the better.

i remember Chelsea Girl...can't remember exactley were it was! wasn't there one in Liverpool? think i went in that one? what about C&A...i was always going in there!!
Posted By: 3sheets66 Re: Shops gone by - 5th Jul 2010 1:12pm
the dolls hospital i think was in market street birkenhead
Posted By: 3sheets66 Re: Shops gone by - 5th Jul 2010 1:14pm
chelsea girl was around where the 3 mobile shop and clarks shoe shop is now
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Shops gone by - 5th Jul 2010 3:13pm
does anyone remmber treasure island in liscard...was where the carpet shop is, next to witherspoons
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Shops gone by - 5th Jul 2010 4:26pm
Was that the toy shop?
Posted By: Longnails Re: Shops gone by - 5th Jul 2010 4:27pm
Hi chris7777
We did have a shop in Liverpool.
I used to go to C&A I loved it in there. I bought a couple of 2 piece suits; very classy they were too. I bought one for a friends Wedding and the other for work.
I remember the shoe shops also and Tickles; oh happy days lol.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Shops gone by - 5th Jul 2010 4:30pm
Originally Posted by stephen1972
Was that the toy shop?
it was they toy shop! The power of google lol
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Shops gone by - 5th Jul 2010 5:08pm
yeah it was a cool toyshop, but not as cool as peter toners, that was an alladins cave, used to love going in there, bought my first proper bike from there. And a "Stevensons Rocket" steam train kit, mums still got it ontop of her wardrobe
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Shops gone by - 5th Jul 2010 5:16pm
What was your 1st proper bike?
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Shops gone by - 5th Jul 2010 5:20pm
a raleigh racer 10 gears smile
was blue but soon i decided to paint it silver with silver hammerite sick bad move
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Shops gone by - 5th Jul 2010 5:35pm
Longworths was the best bike shop.

Attached picture 0.jpg
Attached picture 1602.jpg
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Shops gone by - 5th Jul 2010 5:49pm
the top one looks like it oshocked

but i turned my handlebars upside down blush
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Shops gone by - 5th Jul 2010 6:18pm
Raleigh arena!
Posted By: truebirkenheader Re: Shops gone by - 16th Aug 2010 5:08am
toy and hobby used to be at the top end opposite pykes the jewellers if i remember rightly
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Shops gone by - 17th Aug 2010 7:54am
The co-op department store in Liscard where McDonalds is now.
We used to go up and down in the lift until the security guard told us off!
Above it was a large room that was used for parties and a club called Woodland Folk (I think0.I remember doing country dancing and singing folk songs. Happy Days!
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Shops gone by - 17th Aug 2010 3:16pm
I well remember the Co-op and the lift! Also the top floor (with the window that ran floor to ceiling); that was where Santa's grotto was for at least a couple of years.

Woodland Folk - wasn't in it myself but had a few friends who were (early 70s). Funny, was only thinking about that the other day!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Shops gone by - 17th Aug 2010 4:07pm
Originally Posted by Bezzymate
The co-op department store in Liscard where McDonalds is now.
We used to go up and down in the lift until the security guard told us off!
Above it was a large room that was used for parties and a club called Woodland Folk (I think0.I remember doing country dancing and singing folk songs. Happy Days!

Taken from my Shopping in Wallasey series - Liscard Road.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Shops gone by - 17th Aug 2010 4:24pm
Just thought - it was Woodcraft Folk not Woodland Folk!
Posted By: Longnails Re: Shops gone by - 19th Aug 2010 7:46pm
Does anyone have any photo's of the shops in Grange Mount, Birkenhead? There were two newsagents, a restaurant and a motorbike shop amongst others there in the late 70's early eighties.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Shops gone by - 23rd Aug 2010 8:33am
Great pic but I think that is the co-op on the corner of Liscard/Poulton Rd, now the Great Float.
The co-op in Liscard I think was a new build.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Shops gone by - 23rd Aug 2010 10:48am
Originally Posted by Bezzymate
Great pic but I think that is the co-op on the corner of Liscard/Poulton Rd, now the Great Float.
The co-op in Liscard I think was a new build.

That is actually the co-op in Liscard. The tram line that you see opposite runs along Liscard Road with no turning whereby if it was was Poulton Road it would then run down into Wheatland Lane from Liscard Road or turn from Poulton Road.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Shops gone by - 23rd Aug 2010 1:13pm
You are right Paul, you know your stuff!
What makes me think it was a new build?
Was it just a facade,I seem to remember it being green or blue!
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Shops gone by - 23rd Aug 2010 5:05pm
Does anyone remember 'Absolems' opposite the train station in West Kirby. My sister June Millington and her husband once owned it.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Shops gone by - 6th Sep 2010 2:59pm
I note after nearly 60 years of buisness the Coffee Roast Bistro on Seaview Road Wallasey has closed.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Shops gone by - 7th Sep 2010 6:44am
noticed that the other day frown shame as it was a great place to sit and have a private cuppa, i loved the little bays u sat in , and the service was good
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Shops gone by - 8th Sep 2010 1:03am
I loved the smell as you went past - remember it as a child, 40 years ago.

Does anyone remember the Orchard Barbecue? Wasn't that close by? Remember chickens on a spit!
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Shops gone by - 8th Sep 2010 6:26am
I noticed it had closed the other day,didn't see anything in the local news!
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Shops gone by - 8th Sep 2010 3:10pm
Me too! - one of the nicest smells in the world, fresh roasting coffee beans wafting through the air! Didn't they used to have the coffee roaster in the window, or am I thinking of somewhere else?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Shops gone by - 8th Sep 2010 5:29pm
Used to have a coffee roaster (rotating drum dooferiser thingy) in the window of Coopers in Church St. L'pool. Maybe that's what you are thinking of ? That smell. Mmmmmmmmmmm. That's a while back mindyou.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Shops gone by - 8th Sep 2010 6:49pm
I don't think I'm thinking of Liverpool as I don't know that one. I could have sworn I remember seeing the roaster (drum thingy) in their window in Liscard though... But I can't quite remember if maybe it was just a non-working one, there just 'for show' and not actually used? Heck, it was a long time ago now...! Nice memories though. So sad what befell Liscard and what it has become nowadays...
Posted By: bri445 Re: Shops gone by - 9th Sep 2010 8:28pm
Did they have one in the Kardomah in Church Street?
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Shops gone by - 9th Sep 2010 8:44pm
I note after nearly 60 years of buisness the Coffee Roast Bistro on Seaview Road Wallasey has closed.

I remember that place from when I was a kid. I went in with my mum and nan almost 50 years ago, I thought it was magical.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Shops gone by - 9th Sep 2010 9:53pm
Originally Posted by bri445
Did they have one in the Kardomah in Church Street?

I remember one in Church St. I thought it was Kardomah, but Pinzgauer has got me wondering whether it was Coopers, although the name doesn't ring a bell.
Posted By: bri445 Re: Shops gone by - 9th Sep 2010 10:42pm
More likely to be Coopers as they were grocers, whereas Kardomah was an up-market tea and coffee restaurant.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Shops gone by - 10th Sep 2010 1:41pm
I see 'Showman' has gone too - they were a boys/menswear shop just a couple of doors down from Coffee Roast Bistro and had been there since the late 70s/early 80s. Next months update on my site is the shops on Seaview Road and I am having to keep changing it due to the shops closing. 'House' furnishing is up for sale on the corner of Grasmere Drive.

Also, not a shop I know, but I see the old bus stop has gone that was outside Wilkinsons on Wallasey Road! It was generally used as a shelter when waiting for a black cab. It was a nuisance when it was there when trying to get pass people with prams or shopping.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Shops gone by - 10th Sep 2010 4:28pm
peter toners, seaview road, wallasey.
Used to get all my scalextrix cars from there when i was a nipper, lol.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Shops gone by - 10th Sep 2010 4:34pm
Dodgy bmx bikes in toners. The iron horse bmx lol.
Posted By: roverinexile Re: Shops gone by - 12th Sep 2010 9:36pm

Does anyone remember the Kopper Kettle, a cafe on Seaview Road near the bus depot in the early 80s? My grandad ran it for a couple of years.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Shops gone by - 12th Sep 2010 10:27pm
Originally Posted by roverinexile

Does anyone remember the Kopper Kettle, a cafe on Seaview Road near the bus depot in the early 80s? My grandad ran it for a couple of years.

It was situated at 106 Seaview Road and by the early 1990s it became 'The Oven Door' Cafe. Today its 'The Singing Waitress" Cafe.
Posted By: tigertiger1953 Re: Shops gone by - 19th Sep 2010 6:54pm
Does anyone remember the Melody Milk Bar? Later the Dynasty chinese (known as the Die Nasty} and later and extension to Bookland. My sister used to take me there. I remember signs saying 'business lunch three course 5/- (25P).
Posted By: tigertiger1953 Re: Shops gone by - 19th Sep 2010 6:54pm
It was next to the Wellington in Liscard.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Shops gone by - 19th Sep 2010 6:57pm
What date?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Shops gone by - 19th Sep 2010 7:03pm
Originally Posted by tigertiger1953
Does anyone remember the Melody Milk Bar? Later the Dynasty chinese (known as the Die Nasty} and later and extension to Bookland. My sister used to take me there. I remember signs saying 'business lunch three course 5/- (25P).

Was George White's Milk Bar in the late 1940s/1950s.

Pic of the Milk in 1937 (taken from my site on the History of Shopping : Wallasey Road)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Shops gone by - 19th Sep 2010 7:11pm
Originally Posted by CVCVCV
Me too! - one of the nicest smells in the world, fresh roasting coffee beans wafting through the air! Didn't they used to have the coffee roaster in the window, or am I thinking of somewhere else?

Quite definitely the Coffee Roast used to have the drum roasting machine visible in the window

Snod
Posted By: tigertiger1953 Re: Shops gone by - 20th Sep 2010 7:32am
Melody must have closed mid sixties. The Dynasty opened about then. I remember the coffe roasting drum in the window of the Coffee Roast but I don't think it was working then, just for display. The Coffee Roast was only one shop then not two.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Shops gone by - 20th Sep 2010 12:43pm
Wasn't there a Timothy Whites in Grange Road?
Posted By: starakita Re: Shops gone by - 20th Sep 2010 12:46pm
yes it used to be somwhere by the halifax i think. the halifax used to be a supermarket in the early 60's.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Shops gone by - 20th Sep 2010 4:26pm
Originally Posted by Snodvan
Originally Posted by CVCVCV

Quite definitely the Coffee Roast used to have the drum roasting machine visible in the window

Snod
Thanks! So I do have at least one brain cell still functioning then - I was pretty sure but I'm glad someone else remembers it too!!
Perry
Posted By: chriskay Re: Shops gone by - 20th Sep 2010 6:25pm
Originally Posted by ludwigvan
Wasn't there a Timothy Whites in Grange Road?

Yes, roughly where the X is on the map. In the pic., it's between Benefit & Myers.

Attached picture Clip.jpg
Attached picture P1000132.jpg
Posted By: oscarpops Re: Shops gone by - 20th Sep 2010 10:17pm
I remember timothy whites being where waterstones is
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Shops gone by - 21st Sep 2010 9:28am

I think you're correct oscarpops.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Shops gone by - 21st Sep 2010 3:58pm
When I knew it,in the early 50's, Timothy White's was almost opposite its major competitor, Boots, which was on the corner of Vincent St. It must have moved later. I'm not sure where Waterstones is; is it further down Grange Rd., near the Pyramids?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Shops gone by - 21st Sep 2010 4:16pm
This thread discussed Timothy Whites

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...sman_club_in_Grange_Road.html#Post349332
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Shops gone by - 21st Sep 2010 5:50pm
I checked out the link on Timothy Whites bert1,but I think the shop existed after 1968 as I became friendly with the manageress whilst I was working at Leighton Court in 1981.If I'm proved wrong blame it on old age,decrepitude and red wine.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Shops gone by - 21st Sep 2010 9:17pm
I remember Timothy Whites - it was where waterstones is now I think or top shop. I remember there being a Burtons and a Fosters in that row too.
I also remember Cavendish furniture shop on other side where superdrug is now.
I vaguely remember Robbs further up.
Remember BHS before that got primarked.
Toy and Hobby was near the top on right.
I remember when there was M&S then Littlewoods then TJs.
I remember the flyover and waiting for the 37 on Conway Street.
I remember the Top Rank bingo club.
I vaguely remember the Grand Hotel up by Charing Cross - waited for a bus near there too.

Laird Street
I remember Shallcross Bikes - they took up a few shops.
I remember the chandlers that sold paraffin for the paraffin heater we had in the kitchen.
I remember Ellis's the chemists.
I remember Prices greengrocers (mum always said they were a rip off but shopped there anyway).
Gortons butchers, Tom somebody butchers, the bakers with the creepy little model man in the window with the eyebrows falling off lol
The Golden Sunrise (alsation pies)
Mrs Spriggs(ings?) the wool shop.

Cor that cleared a few cobwebs out the brain.

I also remember in Claughton village:
Bedfords newsagents
Halifax
Card shop before Halifax took over (Curries?)
Miss Waring further up for knickers, school socks, wool etc.
Pilkingtons chemist - think its still written on the roof tiles (or is it Rowlands?)
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Shops gone by - 21st Sep 2010 9:49pm
Anyone remember Bartons shop in Union Street lower tranmere,right under the railway bridge?
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Shops gone by - 21st Sep 2010 10:03pm
Originally Posted by Snooze

I also remember in Claughton village:
Bedfords newsagents
Halifax
Card shop before Halifax took over (Curries?)
Miss Waring further up for knickers, school socks, wool etc.
Pilkingtons chemist - think its still written on the roof tiles (or is it Rowlands?)

Pilkington's chemist was owned by Roy Pilkington, who was Mayor of Birkenhead (can't remember when), he also had shops in Upton Village and at Upton Station. His son, Brian, owned Bedfords for a period.

Bedfords had an "automatic newsboy" outside, this was a coin operated machine which sold copies of the Echo. The shop on the corner of Alderley Avenue (now a private house) had a coin operated milk machine outside, which sold cartons of milk and orange.

The small building on the corner of Shrewsbury Road was a Police Station, with public toilets behind.

Attached picture bedfords.jpg
Posted By: roverinexile Re: Shops gone by - 22nd Sep 2010 8:49pm
Originally Posted by roverinexile

It was situated at 106 Seaview Road and by the early 1990s it became 'The Oven Door' Cafe. Today its 'The Singing Waitress" Cafe.

Thanks for the info
Posted By: DavidB Re: Shops gone by - 24th Sep 2010 9:49am
I seem to remember a toy shop opposite to where Littlewoods used to be, in the mid 80's?
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Shops gone by - 24th Sep 2010 11:05am
Originally Posted by DavidB
I seem to remember a toy shop opposite to where Littlewoods used to be, in the mid 80's?
liscard??
Posted By: icruicks Re: Shops gone by - 24th Sep 2010 1:02pm
Zodiac?
Posted By: suey30 Re: Shops gone by - 25th Sep 2010 9:16pm
i remember bartons it was on the corner of peel st,on the other corner was a barbers shop known as bill the barbers.parkinsons the dairy was also in union st.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Shops gone by - 25th Sep 2010 9:33pm
Theres F.A in Brighton Street/ King St, Egremont. Can anyone remember there when it apparantly thrived?
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Shops gone by - 25th Sep 2010 9:55pm
It was quite lively in early to mid 80s there was a good clothes shop that did cheap tracksuits lol.
Posted By: truebirkenheader Re: Shops gone by - 6th Feb 2012 9:37pm
there was a shop around the corner, oppisite littlewoods called ZODIAC. i think its now gregs. it used to sell all kinds of toys and gadgets. i.e. bouncy balls, etc.
Posted By: truebirkenheader Re: Shops gone by - 6th Feb 2012 9:48pm
Originally Posted by DavidB

yeh i remember it. think it was called ZODIAC.
Posted By: Capernicus Re: Shops gone by - 16th Apr 2012 6:01am
Originally Posted by Jess53
Does anyone remember the dolls hospital? I can remember going there when my sisters doll needed to have treatment back in about 1965

The one that use to be at the Old Haymarket Area
Posted By: Capernicus Re: Shops gone by - 16th Apr 2012 6:38am
Originally Posted by Waddi
what shops do you remember that have now closed down?

My days as a young lad in Birkenhead, Birkenhead and the docklands along with the parks where my playground, I remember Mr Ashworths sweet shop on Conway Street just before Conway place, I remember the Crown pub My first pint at the age of thirteen, Mrs Lords Dairy where we got our milk cheese etc, Mr Mitchells surgery one of our local doctors, then there was Mr Hunts sweet shop who had a Myna bird that shouted at you when you went in this was on the corner of York Street, my doctor was Mr Lipsedge who had his surgery above what is now Sherlocks, and Mr Davies sweet shop on the Corner of back Camden Street.
Posted By: cathcart Re: Shops gone by - 16th Apr 2012 2:09pm
sounds like you lived near me,i lived on marion street next to camden street,where did you live.
Posted By: Capernicus Re: Shops gone by - 16th Apr 2012 3:57pm
9 Conway Place opposite the old stables my name is Michael Haydn
Posted By: cathcart Re: Shops gone by - 16th Apr 2012 4:37pm
capernicus,ive left you a private message [pm]ok.
Posted By: Capernicus Re: Shops gone by - 17th Apr 2012 8:22am
Okay Thank You.
Posted By: Giggler Re: Shops gone by - 17th Dec 2013 11:38pm
WOW all these memories. I remember Rumbleows?? Like Currys. We had 3 shoe shops. I hated going in Clarks and Lotus {Cash Converters and Hot lips} with my dad in case anyone saw me!!! Shoe Express and Shoe Zone came later. The Gas show rooms where Lloyds {TSB} is. The book shop on Wallasey Road {R news} that expanded into another shop then shrunk back into one then seemed to go bust. Robert Y Knagg and son now another pawn broker. The CO OP where Mc Donalds is. Thanks.
Posted By: davidw Re: Shops gone by - 18th Dec 2013 9:18am
Smiths fruit shop ( Parkfield ave Conway street )
Discount Foods (next to smiths fruit shop)
Thompsons newsagents ( next to Discount Foods)
Electrical shop ( sold everything Capacitors to light bulbs)
Sayers ( day old cake shop)
tearls ( carpets Furniture)
Butchers shop
Chinese Chippy
Bentlys Pawn Shop
Davies Cake SHOP ( ON CORNER BY TRAFFIC LIGHTS)
Traces electrical( OPP DISCOUNT FOODS)
Posted By: davidw Re: Shops gone by - 18th Dec 2013 12:03pm
Charlie Chippy (market street Leta street)
Dennises CORNER SHOP (Market Street Rowlnd Street)
RAES Corner Shop (Market street Camden Street)
joneses (Corner Shop ( Camden Street Price Street)
Wool SHOP (Camden Street just by the ENTRY DENNISES MUM)
Bridge and Pickles Chippy ( Market Street Leta street only sold English Meals ) later bought by Charlie ( chinese)
Happy Days
Posted By: joney Re: Shops gone by - 18th Dec 2013 12:38pm
I must be getting old, I can remember when there was a Forces club on the site of of Primarks where troops could relax and have a cup of tea and a sarnie or write a letter home.
Posted By: cathcart Re: Shops gone by - 28th Dec 2013 9:09am
we had 2 shops on marion street plus a chippy,a dairy behind us on dacre street.also shops on camden street and conway place and most little streets in the surrounding area.better than the supermarkets and all the obesity in children they have caused.proper food,no additives,shrinking bacon,full of water etc.also good service,no underpaid part timers like all supermarkets.
Posted By: Littlebear Re: Shops gone by - 4th Jan 2019 10:29am
I wonder how different Birkenhead looks now to 2013. A lot of shops are now empty, but going back for the first time the other day, it was really busy for some reason.
There’s a lot of independently owned shops, but mostly charity ones.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Shops gone by - 8th Jan 2019 10:16pm
It was Bookland that was on Wallasey Road, I think. My Granddad used to take me to the playground up the little road that was behind the Manweb showroom, where the Cherry Tree precinct is now. In the Bata shoe shop - on Liscard road I think? - there was an x-ray machine; you could look at the bones in your feet through an eyepiece. Those were the days, eh?!* I think that shop also had those whizzy pots on wires that your money was put in, then the change was whizzed back to the counter. I had my first Saturday job in Liscard Co-op, 1968-ish, back of the ground floor, in pharmacy and cosmetics. I had a love/hate relationship with the Bronnley lemon soaps - they used to make me sneeze. On my breaks I discovered the sheer delight of warm eccles cakes from the canteen/cafe - mmm! Not so mmm were the shocks I used to get off the metal lockers when removing my nylon overall. Ouch. I also remember buying school dress fabric from Kay Macs, diagonally opposite to where HSBC is now, at 2/11 a yard. Gad, I feel old now...!
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Shops gone by - 8th Jan 2019 10:25pm
Also your namesake Greenwoods soon to be a shop of the past . My favourite shop years ago was Ken Hopkins Tackle Shop which was originally opposite Christchurch in Moreton before it moved. On the subject of highstreet shops. How many closed and boarded up ones would go towards the target of 2 million social homes needed..they would be in the right place .
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Shops gone by - 8th Jan 2019 10:36pm
Originally Posted by Greenwood
there was an x-ray machine; you could look at the bones in your feet through an eyepiece.

Yes, quite a few shoe shops had them and they were radioactive fluoroscopes, the radioactive dosage was above what is allowed today, especially for kids. Fortunately feet are quite resistant to radioactive cancerous effects but the heavy shielding in the box was often missing or altered especially on the lower powered British ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe-fitting_fluoroscope
Posted By: granny Re: Shops gone by - 15th Jan 2019 12:54am

Yep, remember them in Clarkes shoe shops. Do you glow in the dark Greenwood ?
It seemed that shoes always cost £29.11d for leather shoes.The prices never changed for years.

£29.11d. .. just under £1.50 in todays money
Posted By: bert1 Re: Shops gone by - 15th Jan 2019 7:06am
Originally Posted by granny

Yep, remember them in Clarkes shoe shops. Do you glow in the dark Greenwood ?
It seemed that shoes always cost £29.11d for leather shoes.The prices never changed for years.

£29.11d. .. just under £1.50 in todays money

Typo
29/11 or 29s-11d
Posted By: karl1972 Re: Shops gone by - 8th Oct 2020 4:39am
Here's a few from back in the day
Peter Toner
Longworths cycles
Co op Liscard
Halfords Liscard and player sports next door.
the old market that was in Liscard now a cafe and mobile accessory shop
and I remember there used to be 3 computer shops in the 80's,
2 on Seaview road and one on Liscard road facing the ambulance station.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral