Forums
Posted By: Mark Bidston Hill - 28th Feb 2008 10:35pm
Now And Then smile

Attached picture wikiwirral_bidston_hill.jpg
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Bidston Hill - 28th Feb 2008 10:45pm
The then looked a hell of alot better.. Know look at it grown over and not cared for...
Posted By: Mark Re: Bidston Hill - 28th Feb 2008 10:52pm
I wonder if its the same alignment those paths.

Its the Light house that's throwing it out for me
on reflection think
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Bidston Hill - 28th Feb 2008 11:34pm
Is that the path that goes up to the Observatory cause if it is then i think i might be wrong ?
Posted By: Mark Re: Bidston Hill - 28th Feb 2008 11:40pm
Yeh up to the Observatory, But there isn't any others around there?
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Bidston Hill - 28th Feb 2008 11:42pm
hmmm looks very wrong cause that path only goes to the obs... Hmmm! lol think
Posted By: Hiekel_Essterol Re: Bidston Hill - 2nd May 2008 2:58pm
I have been taking a look at the 'then' picture and I think the alignment is actually correct.

The original picture shows the road heading in a direct line to the lighthouse.
The link goes to a Google Maps page that appears to show the road still heading straight for the lighthouse.

Have a look, see what you think.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Bidston Hill - 2nd May 2008 9:00pm
I agree.

Looks spot on smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Bidston Hill - 2nd May 2008 9:02pm
The easy way to know is to drive up there; you end up right next to the Lighthouse if you go into the Observatory land. As pictured on the original photograph.

smile
Posted By: Rhobit Re: Bidston Hill - 24th Oct 2008 2:36pm
With reference to this, what is with the sandtone"gate post" south of the cock pit and north east of the observatory? I also noticed that the sandstone on the ground leading to and from this post have lines cut into it, it's heading in the direction of the lighthouse?
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Bidston Hill - 24th Oct 2008 10:14pm
Originally Posted by Rhobit
With reference to this, what is with the sandtone"gate post" south of the cock pit and north east of the observatory? I also noticed that the sandstone on the ground leading to and from this post have lines cut into it, it's heading in the direction of the lighthouse?

The gate post is the remains of one of the many squatters cottages that were on the hill.
I have noticed the lines to but have no info on what they might be and after hours of research i tend to think that they may just be coincidental
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Bidston Hill - 25th Oct 2008 11:26am
Coincidental? No they were obviously put there for some purpose. My guess would be to improve the grip for horses lugging carts up/ down the hill. When they were carved there is another issue. Maybe when there was building work on the hill and heavy stuff needed to be delivered.

Snod
Posted By: Rhobit Re: Bidston Hill - 25th Oct 2008 5:13pm
My theory was that it may actually have been the road leading up to the complex in the photo?

The alignment of it when you stand at the post and move to the right seems very similar.

Also, the current existing road leading up to the Oceanographic institute seems longer than that portrayed in the picture.
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Bidston Hill - 25th Oct 2008 9:31pm
There used to be a road/track that ran almost parallel to the one there now but it ran to the south of the observatory,there are still remains of it close to the wall on the south side of the compound
© Wirral-Wikiwirral