Forums
Posted By: chriskay Rock Retail Park - 17th Jan 2008 2:05pm
Here's an extract from a 1912 Ordnance Survey map. I've marked the location of the Rock in red. You may find it interesting to switch between the map & the same area on Google Earth. An interesting thing is to see the extent of the railway system. Notice all the lines headed off to the right to Cammell Laird's & the extensive Mollington St. loco sheds. Town station is just off the top of the map, it was closed to passengers in 1945 & completely in 1961. You can see the dock lines branching off just to the left, about to enter the Haymarket tunnel. Another point of interest is Pearson Rd., which was built to allow the trams to get up from Argyle St. South to Church Rd. (the tram lines are marked on the map).

Cheers, Chris.

Attached picture Rock Park.JPG
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Rock Retail Park - 17th Jan 2008 3:08pm
Brilliant Chris. smile
Posted By: Brummy_Ben Re: Rock Retail Park - 17th Jan 2008 4:21pm
great find happy
Posted By: krisGTi Re: Rock Retail Park - 17th Jan 2008 4:30pm
yeh grate find mate looks so diffrent
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Rock Retail Park - 17th Jan 2008 6:34pm
Thanks for that, my mum was born in thomas street (hex club) and i alway wondered what it looked like with houses on it rather then what is it now, Ford transit car park.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Rock Retail Park - 17th Jan 2008 8:22pm
Nice find Chris, cheers!

smile
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Rock Retail Park - 17th Jan 2008 9:52pm
cool smile i love old maps it really shows how it used to be...
Posted By: chriskay Re: Rock Retail Park - 17th Jan 2008 10:37pm
Anyone who's interested in having old maps should have a look at
www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk There's quite a few there & they're not expensive. I've bought quite a few myself.

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: Mark Re: Rock Retail Park - 17th Jan 2008 10:38pm
That's so weired to see that, and as you say the amount of
track that was down, its more like a city railway.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Rock Retail Park - 17th Jan 2008 11:39pm
Well, Mark, that's how it was when Britain was an industrialised country & actually made things which we exported. Remember, when looking at that forest of lines that only 2 carried passengers through to Woodside. (Well, not counting the Mersey Railway lines). This amount of track was the norm in most towns.

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: LukeORourke Re: Rock Retail Park - 18th Jan 2008 3:06am
i have the whole map in my timetable box which lots of timetables in it and my old house in yelverton rd is on it
Posted By: chriskay Re: Rock Retail Park - 18th Jan 2008 9:49am
Hi, Lukeo25, what sort of timetables; bus/train/ferry? If they're old, maybe you could scan a couple & post them here.

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: Mark Re: Rock Retail Park - 18th Jan 2008 10:08am
withthat

That would be very interesting too wink
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Rock Retail Park - 18th Jan 2008 3:10pm
Showed this to my dad (70)

Say he remembers the old lines, and the ones running of to the left off the map where the service lines for Cammell Lairds. Apprently they stopped shortly off the edge of the picture.

Would be good to see a map of Cammell Lairds back in it's heyday
Posted By: chriskay Re: Rock Retail Park - 18th Jan 2008 3:35pm
Originally Posted by Dazzz
Showed this to my dad (70)

Say he remembers the old lines, and the ones running of to the left off the map where the service lines for Cammell Lairds. Apprently they stopped shortly off the edge of the picture.

Would be good to see a map of Cammell Lairds back in it's heyday

Lines running off to the right, actually. If you want to see more about Cammell Laird's, have a visit to Wirral Museum; they've got lots about it there.

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Rock Retail Park - 18th Jan 2008 4:38pm
Oops, don't know my left from my right, D'oh.

Glad you point that out, now i feel like a plonker.

Wirral Museum is that the one in the town hall ???? on hamilton square.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Rock Retail Park - 18th Jan 2008 4:56pm
Originally Posted by Dazzz

Wirral Museum is that the one in the town hall ???? on hamilton square.

Yes, that's the place. In fact, I think so well of it, I've just posted about it in a new thread.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral