Forums
Maternity Hospital, Grange Mount, Birkenhead 1963

Didn't know a load of new apartments were built here now.

seems very secure, big gates and loads of CCTV lol

I remember going in this building as a kid when it was deralict.

Attached picture 1963 Maternity Hospital, Grange Mount, Birkenhead..JPG
Attached picture 1.JPG
Tis a shame its not still deralict, would have been a great location for som UE hehe.

smile
yeah, I was only in there as a kid to vandalise the place lol
haha Joe ya lil vandel raftl
I still can not picture the place, well were it is?
Clicky
cheers
After my mother had me at St Catherine's she was transported to Grange Mount for a few days. She says she'll never forget the journey from the ambulance to the front of the hospital across cobbled stones i.e. very uncomfortable when you've just had stitches!!!
Oh my word.I was born in Grange mount way back in ????.lol.
Just shows how old i am when i say that my eldest son was born in Grange Mount and that was 1962
I was born in St.Caths also in'78 when was the Grange Mount hospital pulled down?? It looks familiar but don't actually remember seeing it.
Grange Mount, was that also known as Birkenhead Childrens Hospital?? If so, i was born there in `65!
The Children's Hospital was on Woodchurch Rd, opposite Oxton Congregational Church (both owned now by Wirral Christian Centre).
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Maternity Hospital, Grange Mount, Birkenhead 1963 - 19th Apr 2009 10:44pm
I was born there!
Me too! Like many smartchildren!
laffin
I was born there - true Birkonian
As soon a they built that big hospital on Arrowe park they couldn't wait to flog off all the old sites,I was a regular at the Children's hospital on Woodchurch road,broken arms/legs,cuts minor,cuts major,spent a week there when 5 after cutting my artery underneath my foot at Hilbre Island on broken glass.

I was a bit young to remember if I was born at Grange Mount,I will have to ask my big sister. LOL
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
I was born there - true Birkonian
hi DD you might have been in next cot to me born there myself.
davew3... It's a wonder your mum let you outdoors! cry
The only other photo I've seen of Grange Mount is this, from Birkenhead Pictorial (Ian Boumphrey, Phillimore, 1995):

Attached picture Grange Mount.jpg
She used to say it's the only way you will learn,its a hard way to learn,but remember kids weren't covered in cotton wool and were allowed to play and make up games when I was young and very little tv as it started at 5:00pm,now if a kid gets hurt,you end up with the air ambulance,ambulance,paramedics,plod,social services,HSE and uncle Tom Cobbly. :-)
My better half and her brother were born there....

Thought the main building was listed....?
They just adopted the old Liverpool CC trick of letting it fall down rather than maintain it - to get around the listing...
Yeh! davew3, I'd say we were mischievous but not really vandals. grin
I had our first Son there and it was so different to the dreadful experience I had at Arrowe Park oshocked.
They wouldn't let my Husband stay at Grange Mount and we were both upset. They fed us well and we got plenty of rest.
We had no rest at Arrowe Park and many of us missed our food if our babies cried and ours kept screaming lol frown. They did allow my Husband to stay this time but I screamed a lot unlike I did the first time and made a show of myself lol blush:.
my other half was born at Grange Mount in 1962. his mum said he cried all the time,she used to sneak him into bed with her at night when the nurses werent looking. he was fine when he got home. our daughter was the same when she was born at arrowe park, she didnt stop crying till she got home. they obviously dont like hospitals.
My eldest was born in St. Caths in 1977 and then we got taken to Grange Mount for a few days. It was a wonderful hospital. So peaceful and the staff were fabulous. I seem to recall there was an open fire in the ward and the staff sat in arm chairs infront of it, knitting and chatting to us! The food was great too. So sorry that it's gone. frown
© Wirral-Wikiwirral