Forums
Posted By: BMW Joe Birkenhead Library, Borough Road 1938 - 4th Oct 2007 11:23pm
This pic was hard to take at the right angle cas the main road was busy as fook an I wasnt gunna try standin in the middle of it

Attached picture 1938 Birkenhead Library, Borough Road.JPG
Attached picture 1.JPG
Attached picture 2.JPG
Posted By: Mark Re: Birkenhead Library, Borough Road 1938 - 5th Oct 2007 11:00am
Great Pictures Joe and yep a Good Match too.
Appreciated smile
Posted By: chriskay Re: Birkenhead Library, Borough Road 1938 - 27th Oct 2007 3:04pm
Spent hours in here as a child. It was opened in 1934, on the same day as the Queensway tunnel, by King George V & Queen Mary.
Went in again a few months ago & took this pic. of the Wilfred Owen memorial window.

Attached picture Library small.jpg
Posted By: jonah Re: Birkenhead Library, Borough Road 1938 - 27th Oct 2007 5:21pm
shame its closed now, due to unsafe skylights, they debatin whether its financially viable to repair them, or whether to just let the place become derelict and a scumbags canvass for vandalism and grafitti... mad
Posted By: jordan Re: Birkenhead Library, Borough Road 1938 - 27th Oct 2007 8:04pm
We need one of us to win the lottery or invet somthing to make a few million to stop buildings like this going down the pan and derilict..
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Birkenhead Library, Borough Road 1938 - 27th Oct 2007 8:13pm
Originally Posted by jonah
shame its closed now, due to unsafe skylights, they debatin whether its financially viable to repair them, or whether to just let the place become derelict and a scumbags canvass for vandalism and grafitti... mad

is it? I was in there a few weeks ago??? think
Posted By: Mark Re: Birkenhead Library, Borough Road 1938 - 27th Oct 2007 11:19pm
Only part is closed off due to the skylights,
but its future and repairs has a huge question mark over it?

I seen it on the local news.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Birkenhead Library, Borough Road 1938 - 27th Oct 2007 11:28pm
Wernt they saying they were going to have the close the whole thing next year?

Apparently its due to an accident there when part of the skylights collapsed on someone, but they had already attempted to make them safe?

Im sure there were other structural problems with the building too though, that look like they will be too expensive to repair?

smile
Posted By: keefy Re: Birkenhead Library, Borough Road 1938 - 14th Jan 2008 7:37pm
So Frank Field was going to find the funds to turn the Borough Road college into luxury apartments, but they can't find the funds to repair an absolutely amazing building. I feel ashamed to admit I'm from this place sometimes. Look across the water to what the scousers have achieved in the past five years and ask yourself " What have we, the people of Wirral achieved in the past twenty years?"
Apart from the Golf tournament in Hoylake (which had 'ROYAL LIVERPOOL OPEN' printed all over it.) What else have we done?

I've just thought maybe we should all start an online petition on the government website. I'm not entirely sure how it can be done but I do know that anybody can start off a petition. Maybe if we all stood together and started a petition off about this then something may get done about it?
Posted By: keefy Re: Birkenhead Library, Borough Road 1938 - 14th Jan 2008 8:04pm
Save Birkenhead Central Library

There is a link to an online group and here is the news from icwirral.co.uk

icwirral.co.uk

Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Birkenhead Library, Borough Road 1938 - 14th Jan 2008 8:37pm
I lived right by there. wonderful old building. only ever been in once. amazing place. shame to hear this.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Birkenhead Library, Borough Road 1938 - 14th Jan 2008 9:29pm
I thought they announced in the local rag a few weeks back that the money to restore and repair the skylights etc, has been found and the building was now safe and would remain the library??

think
Posted By: chriskay Re: Birkenhead Library, Borough Road 1938 - 14th Jan 2008 11:12pm
I certainly hope it will survive, mainly because I spent so much time there as a child. Looking at the icwirral link, I promise, if it is ever turned into a mosque, I shall seriously consider trying to obtain a quantity of explosives.
Posted By: Mark Re: Birkenhead Library, Borough Road 1938 - 15th Jan 2008 6:42pm
If it was moved what a storey to follow it would be better than that temple at thieves in Egypt when they moved it away from the Niel...

So its not got a rosie future.
Once its been tagged its down hill from there....

I mean look at the magnificent building in Hamilton square.
There all pretty much solicitors offices now.
Only the Town Hall i think i'm right in saying hasnt been converted, but they do weddings from it.

Its a shame. I think Library's as we used to know them
will become a thing of the past, if we follow what's hapening
in the states and there Library's.

I do wish the building good luck and hope it stays
that's if i didnt get that across.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Birkenhead Library, Borough Road 1938 - 15th Jan 2008 7:02pm
Originally Posted by Mark

I mean look at the magnificent building in Hamilton square.
There all pretty much solicitors offices now.

Yes, Mark; one of the finest Georgian squares in Europe & all the buildings are listed. When it was built, the park in the centre was fenced & was the private gardens of the residents & they all had keys. There's still some squares in London like that today.
Posted By: AR_One Re: Birkenhead Library, Borough Road 1938 - 21st Jan 2008 11:30pm
"or whether to just let the place become derelict and a scumbags canvass for vandalism and grafitti... "

That makes me so cross when that's done on purpose so that developers can claim that it's "very sad but the building isn't worth saving!" when they've deliberatly made it happen - witness the King Eddy pub in Liverpool and a couple of the gorgeous ond houses on the edge of Birkenhead park.
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Birkenhead Library, Borough Road 1938 - 23rd Jan 2008 4:43am
i heard that the old church on wheatstone land next to the school was going to be the mosque.

would be a shame to close this libery down only other one i know off is the one in rockferry.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral