Forums
Posted By: BMW Joe YMCA, Birkenhead - 4th Oct 2007 6:59pm
Heres the new building, which was built less than a year ago.

Attached picture ymca_birkenhead.jpg
Attached picture 1.JPG
Attached picture 2.JPG
Attached picture 3.JPG
Posted By: Mark Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 4th Oct 2007 7:02pm
WOW i didn't even know lol

Nice one happy
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 4th Oct 2007 10:10pm
the first pic is actually how it looked when i was living down there, have never seen it lookin all modern like it does now
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 4th Oct 2007 10:38pm
Yeah it hasnt been gone long, less than a year...it was getting a bit of an eyesaw, but just wish I got a picture of it before it went frown
Posted By: Mark Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 5th Oct 2007 11:07am
To be fair Joe,
it looked like the B/W picture the last time a seen it.

Only the cars were clamped lol
Posted By: boughtanpaid4 Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 26th Jun 2008 6:07pm
I used to love the Y.M.C.A went rollerskating there many times and gymnastics!!.
Happy Days.
Posted By: chiccy Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 26th Jun 2008 6:48pm
god yer i remember goin roller skatin there too wooow...
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 26th Jun 2008 7:41pm
isnt that place full of bagheads and homeless people?
Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 27th Jun 2008 1:44am
Originally Posted by chiccy
god yer i remember goin roller skatin there too wooow...

so do i remeber that place i know its sad to admit this but i had one of my birthday parties there raftl the roller skatin was interestin i must say it ended up in tears lol i broke my ankle yomama then spent the rest of my birthday in Arrowe Park A&E raftl
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 27th Jun 2008 8:27am
i, shamefully admit, went roller skating there once when i was about 8 or 9 lol... oh dear

anyone ever goto roller world up by birkenhead park? lol
Posted By: xX_Jennie_Xx Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 27th Jun 2008 10:01am
awww thats not shamefull smile ... now if ud av fallen ova that would have been shameful haha !!!! ... or you just not telling us that part wink and y is the YMCA in birkenhead look dead pretty an the one over in new brighton/ liscard what ever its classed as is awful !
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 27th Jun 2008 11:57am
I can one-up going to Roller World, I used to work there lol, there was still loads of fittings there from when it was a cinema and the basement was one of the creepiest things I've ever seen or been in.
Posted By: chriskay Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 27th Jun 2008 1:14pm
Originally Posted by BigBadStuey
I can one-up going to Roller World, I used to work there lol, there was still loads of fittings there from when it was a cinema and the basement was one of the creepiest things I've ever seen or been in.

Yes, that was the Gaumont cinema.
Posted By: jonno40 Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 27th Jun 2008 5:55pm
wasnt the gaumont cinema on king street in wallasey? Later known as the unit four then the unit six and finally the apollo
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 27th Jun 2008 6:12pm
lol roller skating was so easy, just look daft doin it...
Posted By: chriskay Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 27th Jun 2008 9:55pm
Originally Posted by jonno39
wasnt the gaumont cinema on king street in wallasey? Later known as the unit four then the unit six and finally the apollo

May have been a Gaumont there too, but definitely one on Park Rd. East.
Posted By: Sir_longmong Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 27th Jun 2008 10:09pm
ice skating is the killer, only done it once, pissed, lost count of the number of times i made a tit of myself! we also tried setting corsa dave up with some north end bird that made geoff atlas look feminine!

loving the badgers!
Posted By: dave_g Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 27th Jun 2008 11:22pm
was not fun!luckily i can ice skate thanks to the practice i got down the Y.M.C.A!!!lol
Posted By: Wheels Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 29th Jun 2008 6:50pm
i live 2mins walk away. smile
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 30th Jun 2008 1:40pm
i like the old pic of this place, dont know why they knocked it down, surely cheaper to re-fit?
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 1st Jul 2008 9:55pm
Just a bit of extra info ..

When they were knocking it down or preparing to, they found several shrunken heads in the loft voids. They belonged to the old caretaker who had travelled africa and took souvineers.
Weird !
Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 1st Jul 2008 10:13pm
wot a freak
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 1st Jul 2008 11:05pm
think interesting DoctorFrick
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 2nd Jul 2008 7:13pm
how many heads did he have?
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 8th Jul 2008 9:52pm
No idea on the quantity, but i would presume not many
Posted By: MissGuided Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 8th Aug 2008 3:00pm
Why are developers obsessed with painting the outsides of building that horrible mustardy yellow? Its on the YMCA, and also St James Centre (pathetic excuse for a library - where are all the bleedin' books?), and of course the Learning Curve part of Birkenhead 6th Form College. Do you think there was a surplus of that colour someone had mixed at B&Q and decided they didn't like it, so the council bought it cheap?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 9th Aug 2008 12:42am
They have to make out they spend on something, lol . smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 9th Aug 2008 1:26am
interesting think
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 9th Aug 2008 1:45am
suppose they can say they are trying smile
Posted By: vango Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 9th Aug 2008 1:51am
hi again this a change of subject but do u havr rnr diagrams readings on the tunels mate
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 9th Aug 2008 8:46am
Originally Posted by vango
hi again this a change of subject but do u havr rnr diagrams readings on the tunels mate

Heres the story pal wink

Click here smile
Posted By: dingle Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 20th Aug 2008 8:52am
Bit of useless trivia regarding the YMCA. One of the only Beatles concerts was held their back in '60/61/62(not sure which) anyway it was something like 10 bob to get in; about 9 people turned up. Which is not surprising when you could go and Rory Storm and the Hurricanes for 2bob and they were a much better band. Now that is old.

Dave Miller
Posted By: DavidB Re: YMCA, Birkenhead - 15th Oct 2008 12:00am
TBH, they have no idea. All the new buildings look totally different to each other. Every building down there is an eyesore. You'd think they'd get together and decide on one colour and one design. Liverpool it the same, you'd think what with all the building going on AT THE SAME TIME, they'd look at each other and maybe come up with similar designs. Horrible.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral