Forums
Posted By: Mark Beaufort Road - 8th Jun 2007 10:09pm
Beaufort Road

Do you remember when?
Do you have a storey to tell of days gone by in the picture?

Attached picture 984-wikiwirral-beaufort_road.jpg
Posted By: Mark Re: Beaufort Road - 7th Sep 2007 2:01pm
The Building in the Black and White Picture on its own
was called the "Half Way House".

Not there any more now.

But it was a good pint i was told !
Posted By: oldbirkonian1 Re: Beaufort Road - 8th Mar 2011 6:25pm
the building on its own in the middle is indeed the 'halfway', my mum was a barmaid there in the late 50's we lived behind the pub in Beaufort Square (any old photos gratefully recieved) there was a shop at the end of the entry (other side from pub) run by Miss Tyrer from her front room. I remember spending all my 'spends' in there! I think the land to the forefront was gags hill (gallaghers hill) it looks veru small in the phote yet I remember it being huge when I was little! Nice to see the old area again thanks
Posted By: masterbun Re: Beaufort Road - 10th Mar 2011 5:33pm
I spy a flour mill.
There was a Spillers mill in Beaufort Road.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Beaufort Road - 10th Mar 2011 5:53pm
It was up by the dry dock, I think it was Ranks.
Posted By: masterbun Re: Beaufort Road - 10th Mar 2011 6:39pm
There may have been a ranks I think they were in Dock Road (Buchannan's was Ranks), defintely a Spillers somewhere on Beaufort Rd. Went there quite often on saturday mornings with father in 50's & 60's when he did his inspections. The offices were on the right of the entrance and apart from the mill there was a unit which made dog biscuits (Spiller's Shapes I think) and a garage where the lorries were maintained (Spillers ran their own transport in those days)
Posted By: Tatey Re: Beaufort Road - 10th Mar 2011 7:38pm
I used to tie ships up in the dock there & take the dogs with me. The dog biscuit factory shed walls were so damaged I could reach through & take warm biscuits off the belt. The dogs wouldn't eat them, but they kept me from hunger on many a dark & stormy night!
Posted By: masterbun Re: Beaufort Road - 10th Mar 2011 7:58pm
Our dog wouldn't eat them either !!
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Beaufort Road - 10th Mar 2011 8:14pm

The flour mill on Beaufort Road was Ranks,

[Linked Image]

there are two thread giving information on the Birkenhead and Wallasey flour mills in the main History Forum here and here.

Posted By: yewgarth New Ferry - 10th Mar 2011 8:26pm
Here's one of New Ferry Shorefields. I'm sure most people would remember this Lifeboat as they were passing to go to the baths. The photo was taken in 1970.

Description: shorefields
Attached picture 052.JPG
Posted By: masterbun Re: Beaufort Road - 17th Jun 2011 5:24pm
Having given up trying to upload photos here I have put some pictures of mills in the Docks on my server.
Mainly Spillers mills at Birkenhead
The main picture is of Beaufort Rd showing both the Spillers and Rank mills.
Can't remember their sources so if there is a problem re acknowledgement / permissions please PM me and I'll sort it.

You may get an error message whwn exiting album. Just close the link
Posted By: inflatablebone Re: Beaufort Road - 18th Jun 2011 9:20am
I used to work in Beaufort Road at Beaufort Air Sea Equipment in the mid 80's. It made liferafts/ military survival clothing. Prior to this the company was called Frankenstein & Son (don't know the date of the name change, but still used to hear it referred to as Frankies).
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Beaufort Road - 18th Jun 2011 10:56pm
I've heard the Frankenstein name, I just thought it was an in-house joke so never checked it out idiot
© Wirral-Wikiwirral