Forums
Posted By: Mark Rodney street next to Argyle street South - 8th Jun 2007 10:06pm
Rodney street next to Argyle street South

Do you remember when?
Do you have a storey to tell of days gone by in the picture?

Attached picture 982-wikiwirral-rodney_street.jpg
Posted By: Mark Re: Rodney street next to Argyle street South - 29th Sep 2007 11:08pm
Looking up the Hill wink 2007

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Rodney street next to Argyle street South - 29th Sep 2007 11:15pm
Like the shoes hanging from the phone lines

classic birkenhead stylee
Posted By: Mark Re: Rodney street next to Argyle street South - 29th Sep 2007 11:43pm
Yeh Football Boots lol
Posted By: DanLongman Re: Rodney street next to Argyle street South - 14th Mar 2009 7:46pm
I was brought up there at number 87. My mum pushed me up the hill in my little pram for a good few years, then later in life I used to race my skateboard down with some mates (sitting down of course) smile
Posted By: jimbob Re: Rodney street next to Argyle street South - 14th Mar 2009 9:32pm
That photo of the snow, 1947. no skate boards those days and very few cars in the town
Posted By: kimpri Re: Rodney street next to Argyle street South - 14th Mar 2009 10:02pm
At one time there was a coal yard up on the right then turned into garage think it was called ACS the owners name Bert Schroeder. i played there when a kid i later worked for the same guy as a diesel fitter by pump dock shore rd
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Rodney street next to Argyle street South - 14th Mar 2009 10:06pm
I got around 30mph on a push bike on there.. when i had a speedo on it lol.. Dunno if it ws 30mph but it felt like it. Same with argyle street south..
Posted By: DanLongman Re: Rodney street next to Argyle street South - 15th Mar 2009 11:43am
Lol at the coal yard. My house was right opposite. Was well spooky!
Posted By: kimpri Re: Rodney street next to Argyle street South - 15th Mar 2009 2:56pm
knew a lad that lived opposite the yard his name was paul .that was in the 60s did you go in when open my oldman worked from there was a Coleman.
Posted By: DanLongman Re: Rodney street next to Argyle street South - 15th Mar 2009 4:29pm
It was always derelict until I was about 12, then it turned into the garage it is today. I used to crawl under to get my footy back every so often.
Posted By: DodgyDave Re: Rodney street next to Argyle street South - 24th Mar 2009 11:34pm
Originally Posted by kimpri1
At one time there was a coal yard up on the right then turned into garage think it was called ACS the owners name Bert Schroeder. i played there when a kid i later worked for the same guy as a diesel fitter by pump dock shore rd

Take it this is the same bloke who is now on our Radio Station (92.1) and his brother is called Alan?
Posted By: nestonlad Re: Rodney street next to Argyle street South - 25th Mar 2009 11:42am
If anyone fancies moving back there i've attached a link for a ridiculously cheap house at smith and sons auction £20-£25grand for a two bedroomed terrace

http://www.smithandsons.net/propert...perty_id=540&type=auction&title=
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Rodney street next to Argyle street South - 25th Mar 2009 11:47am
Ooh nice - a house with metal shutters - that'll save cleaning the windows! raftl
Posted By: nestonlad Re: Rodney street next to Argyle street South - 25th Mar 2009 12:18pm
No need to buy curtains either
I used to live there when I was a kid,1986 number 113 (in the middle) it was a really spooky house and definately haunted.There was wasteground before the flats at the bottom on the right,I think it was an old church or something like that,maybe we were wrong as we were just kids at the time.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Rodney street next to Argyle street South - 7th Apr 2009 8:38pm
On the right at the bottom of Rodney Street, the waste ground you are on about was a few run down building that at one time had been large storage places and where pulled down round about the lat 60s early 70s
Thanks for that Jimbob! how come nobody has any pictures of the old woodlands school on here? I was in the last year to leave before they pulled it down.
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Rodney street next to Argyle street South - 8th Apr 2009 3:12pm
Originally Posted by lucifer
Thanks for that Jimbob! how come nobody has any pictures of the old woodlands school on here? I was in the last year to leave before they pulled it down.

I used to go to The Woodlands.. Great school it had its own swimming pool it scared me that school did.. Then when it was knocked down we was moved to the new site in Hollybank road where the old BI school was happy
Swimming pool?? it was about the size of a twin tub washer,was looking at all your video's on youtube yesterday,great job and thanks for that.How old was you then when they pulled it down??
...I know what you mean about it being scary,the teachers stairs outside the head teachers office was the creepiest (I think her name was Mrs.Goodwin when I left.

p.s how do you do the icons here please?

Chris Edwards
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Rodney street next to Argyle street South - 8th Apr 2009 5:22pm

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you will see a button "Switch to Full Reply Screen"

I you click that, from there you can follow the following guide:

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/205249#Post205249

which will show you how to use emotions.

If you need any more help, just ask smile
Thanks very much mate,appreciated.
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Rodney street next to Argyle street South - 8th Apr 2009 9:34pm
Swimming pool?? it was about the size of a twin tub washer,was looking at all your video's on youtube yesterday,great job and thanks for that.How old was you then when they pulled it down??
...I know what you mean about it being scary,the teachers stairs outside the head teachers office was the creepiest (I think her name was Mrs.Goodwin when I left.

Chris Edwards

Yep Mrs Goodwin was there when i was there.. It got knocked down when i was about 9 or 10 it was in the 1990's i know that for sure. The Woodlands school did a Time Capusule for the school i dunno weather they opened it up yet but i know where exactly where its been put in the new school.. The infants part was scary to the basement was well freaky.. Basically the whole school was freaky.
if you remember we was all asked what to put in the time capsule at the new site at westone lane?? I can remember the infants with the glass over the slope to the yard but don't actually remember the basement...was that at the bottom of the slope to your right?? I remember a door but I never went through it.

Chris
well I joined park high in 1995 and as I said, I was one of the last pupils to leave the school (to go to secondary) so it must have been after that mate? your name rings a bell though mate??
Posted By: chris58 Re: Rodney street next to Argyle street South - 19th Jul 2009 3:40pm
I was born in Rodney St in the late 50's and lived there till 1964. It was nice there then,shame to see how it has gone.
Posted By: oscarpops Re: Rodney street next to Argyle street South - 31st Mar 2010 11:06pm
I was brought up in rodney st my mum and dad still live there we lived near the bottom end I remember when there was houses before the flats there are still some sound people living there I turned out ok
Posted By: koppite Re: Rodney street next to Argyle street South - 1st Apr 2010 2:29pm
my dad used to live in rodney street along with his 5 sisters.at the bottom on the right hand side looking down from the top. the houses were tiny..must have been a nightmare all cramped in. around the 1950's
Posted By: jimbob Re: Rodney street next to Argyle street South - 1st Apr 2010 8:50pm
A lot of people brought up large familys in terraced houses that where 2 up and 2 down. It was the normal size house in the town for most working people in those days.
Ive seen the black and white photo on a web site of old photos, I never really knew where it was until now.
Posted By: oscarpops Re: Rodney street next to Argyle street South - 2nd Apr 2010 10:42pm
I lived there in the 1960s till 1990 our house had 3 bedrooms there was me my twin sister and my brother then my sister 10 years later wew had loads of room
Posted By: fiftyfiver Re: Rodney street next to Argyle street South - 21st Oct 2012 10:21am
I lived in Rodney St at 164, from 1940s till 1960s, the waste land at the bottom of the hill i can remember as being a bombed site which included the Main Pool of the baths in Argyle St, my aunt lived at the bottom, Bessie Balcolme my mothers sister, can remember the bonfires in the road for VJ night, they were large, we collected bushes to keep them going but the fire service kept trying to douse them, using home built sleds was very scarry, but as there were no cars fairly safe, the local Milk Man, a Mr Braun used a pony and trap to deliver, the horse knew when to stop pulling and turned the float across the Street, and that was very nearly up to our house, I too went to the Woodlands School, and learnt to swim there, then in 1949 on to Park High, worst memory was the freeze in 1946 forever down at the Gasworks trying to get Coke, had to hire a handcart near Helena St to carry it, 6d a time, hard work as a child, think the coke was 6d a sack.
Posted By: dingle Re: Rodney street next to Argyle street South - 22nd Nov 2012 9:59pm
Boy do I remember the Gasworks and getting coke. Not sure how old I was(very young) but I have this memory of walking up Borough Rd with Mum pushing a pram with a bag of coke in and one on her back. A very long walk from the Gasworks up past the Central Library.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Rodney street next to Argyle street South - 22nd Nov 2012 10:43pm
Originally Posted by mindplayer
Boy do I remember the Gasworks and getting coke. Not sure how old I was(very young) but I have this memory of walking up Borough Rd with Mum pushing a pram with a bag of coke in and one on her back. A very long walk from the Gasworks up past the Central Library.

Indeed, a long way, but we were tough in those days. grin
Posted By: Geoff1954 Re: Rodney street next to Argyle street South - 23rd Nov 2012 9:30am
Yep I remember the gas works .must have been 1959/60 my dad would push me in the pram from Eldon st get the bag of coke then sit me on top of it and push me back again good old days.......also remember the rag and bone man on his cart pulled by the old horse I gave him my dads best suit (his one and only) ang got a goldfish for it the I can still remember the look on my dads face when I ran in with the goldfish he got his suit back
© Wirral-Wikiwirral