Forums
Posted By: moretonkiwi Salisbury Road, New Brighton - 22nd Apr 2022 3:48am
Can anyone tell me if 8 Salisbury Road, New Brighton was a hospital/maternity home/nursing home in the 1920/1921 period? I have an ancestor who has this address on her birth certificate but a few weeks later she is shown living with her family at 34 Albion Street.

I do know that no 8 is now flats and that Albion Street is only just round the corner.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Salisbury Road, New Brighton - 22nd Apr 2022 5:01am
In 1923 it was recorded as the private residence of Mrs Gordon. The Gordon family are also recorded there in 1911. The property had 13 rooms according to the 1911 census and was a family home. It may be that Mrs Gordon had experience in helping with child birth or another occupant of number 8 did and your ancestor considered to be in safe hands.
Posted By: philmch Re: Salisbury Road, New Brighton - 22nd Apr 2022 1:39pm
I lived in that house for a short while over 20 years ago. I had no knowledge of it ever having been a maternity home or such.
Posted By: moretonkiwi Re: Salisbury Road, New Brighton - 23rd Apr 2022 1:37am
Thanks philmch - it was just a stab in the dark really.
Posted By: moretonkiwi Re: Salisbury Road, New Brighton - 23rd Apr 2022 1:51am
Once again, thank you very much bert1. Am now going to do some digging and see if there is any connection between Mrs Gordon and the Winrow family that I am researching. Enjoy the weekend.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral